HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jul 3, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #856 of 1,057
I had the opportunity to listen to the Stax SR-X9000 two weeks ago and compare it to my favorite headphone, the Hifiman Shangri-La Sr.

I was not very fond of my first listen to the Stax. It seemed to me a bit edgy and crispy, with a nasal rendering of instruments in the upper medium range. It reminded me of the SR009. Hopefully, after some time, maybe to get used to its signature, it began to grow on me and I spent some time switching with the SGL Sr on the same amplifier, the Viva Egoista STX. It appears finally that those two headphones are quite identical in term of technicalities and are clearly in a league of their own, compared to all the other headphones I've been able to listen during our meeting.

The main difference between the Stax and the Hifiman are in the medium/upper midrange. The Stax pushes a bit forward voices and instruments in that range while the SGL Sr is recessed in that area with a more relaxed and airier rendering which I prefer. While the slight honky tone of the Stax was not as prominent as when I listened to it for the first time, it was still there when comparing with the SGL Sr on tracks with woodwind instruments.

Both headphones have a clean and tight bass, the Stax seeming very slightly punchier but they are very close. All other headphones seem muddy and round in comparison to what the best electrostatics can provide, due to their lightning fast transients.

In terms of soundstage, the SGL SR, probably due to the recessed upper mids, provide a better sense of space. No other headphone provides me with this "thereness" feeling.

A domain where the SRX-9000 is head and shoulders above the SGL Sr is the built. The STAX feels more luxury and adjusted with gorgeous grills and pads. I really like the design and it is maybe the most beautiful headphone I've seen up to know.

I had the opportunity to experience the two headphones on the STAX amplifiers and in particular on the SRM-T8000. TBH, it was a strong disappointment, especially with the SGL Sr which sounded too lean and lacked impact and density. It fared a bit better with the SR-X9000 but I was expecting more for the price. It seems that the Viva STX provides the density, matter but also the smoothness the SGL Sr needs to sound the best. The 300B tubes are maybe partly responsible for that and it is maybe for that reason that Hifiman has decided to use those tubes for their amplifier which comes as a combo with the SGL Sr.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #857 of 1,057
Eyo! We have a viva stx in chat finaly! Not to try and derail too far, but mind giving some general impressions of your amp? If you've heard the egoista 845, does it share a similar house sound?

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #858 of 1,057
Eyo! We have a viva stx in chat finaly! Not to try and derail too far, but mind giving some general impressions of your amp? If you've heard the egoista 845, does it share a similar house sound?
Hi,

I have had the SGL Sr/Viva STX combo for 1 year and provided some feedback of this system earlier in this thread.

This amplifier is a masterpiece, both visually and technically and provides a delicate and opulent sound with all electrostatic headphones I've connected to.

I've owned two Egoista 845 in the past and it shares the same DNA to me with no compromises on the sound quality.
It is difficult to compare the 845 with the STX as they are designed for different type of headphones.
The 845 is the most neutral tube amplifier I know but also the most powerful one. It can drive any headphone, even the Susvara to their maximum, without breaking a sweat. The association of the 845 with the Susvara is maybe the closest you can get from a STX with the SGL Sr, as it is has been confirmed by a friend of mine who has compared extensively the two systems but the SGL Sr with the STX appears to be snappier and more detailed.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #859 of 1,057
Hi,

I have had the SGL Sr/Viva STX combo for 1 year and provided some feedback of this system earlier in this thread.

This amplifier is a masterpiece, both visually and technically and provides a delicate and opulent sound with all electrostatic headphones I've connected to.

I've owned two Egoista 845 in the past and it shares the same DNA to me with no compromises on the sound quality.
It is difficult to compare the 845 with the STX as they are designed for different type of headphones.
The 845 is the most neutral tube amplifier I know but also the most powerful one. It can drive any headphone, even the Susvara to their maximum, without breaking a sweat. The association of the 845 with the Susvara is maybe the closest you can get from a STX with the SGL Sr, as it is has been confirmed by a friend of mine who has compared extensively the two systems but the SGL Sr with the STX appears to be snappier and more detailed.

Must have missed your earlier post! Tyvm for the info. I was currious if the general sound (big and fast as hell) was similar to the 845 or not given the usage of different tubes tbh

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #860 of 1,057
Hello
THE viva STX made by its designer originally for listening to the Stax 009 is a magnificent amplifier that is well suited to the shangri La …but not only him.

I found the last stax 9000 on the viva more neutral, less spectacular than the senior, while listening to the same shangri on the SRM-T8000 was frankly disappointing compared to the stx.

I have just received the French manufacturer of an "artisanal" electrostatic helmet, helmet named OK3D V4 M1. 1200 euros!
While listening to it disappointed me on its dedicated amp/dac, I found it splendid on meitner/stx.

That said, I haven't had the opportunity to tell the difference with the amplifiers mentioned earlier in this forum, but it's clear to me that you shouldn't judge a headset but a combo.
Unfortunately it should be noted that the price of this viva stx has soared. A comparison between stx and elite with the shangri would of course be interesting...

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #861 of 1,057
Listening to Miles Davis' Flamenco Sketches.. and the sax is just incredible on these. The thing I love most about the Sr. is the thing the that's hardest to explain and quantify.. but it matters immensely, and that's realism. Nothing else sounds this true to life accurate when it comes to instruments. It sounds like you're sitting next to someone at a live, unplugged performance. Simply sublime.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #862 of 1,057
a8f19d9c95c5766cfe00b7b0e784e824fa89b8cd.jpeg

A couple days ago I got my Shangri La SR and 3es elite (stock tubes). The tubes and headphone have been burning in and from what I have been told, benefit from a lot more burn in, so take these initial impressions with a grain of salt. Additionally, I will try to compare with SRx9000 and susvara. (SRx9000 as it is currently in-house on loan @eskamobob1 and Susvara because it is the planar flagship from Hifiman and has been my favorite headphone, the one Shangri La SR has to beat in order to be my endgame.)

Chain: Gaming pc → Venom USB → Mscaler → Silver Dragon BNC → Dave → Audioquest Earth XLR → 3es Elite (stock tubes) → Shangri La SR/ SRx9000
*Audioquest Blizzard powercables for Dave and 3es elite.

Initial overall thoughts:
  • Extremely large and open stage. Surprisingly forward and engaging. The other headphone that reminds me of a similar mix of very large and open but also forward and engaging would be 1266tc.
  • Can be a bit harsh/siblant and overall unforgiving. Also, would like it to have more warmth/body and hoping break-in or tube rolling will do the trick.
  • On the right track, the Shangri La SR is absolutely massive, convincing, immersive. It can take you to a boundless world where it is just the music. Nothing inbetween you and the music, no haze, no sense that you are in a closed room or bubble (boundaries to the soundstage).
  • Only note I’ll make on the build/aesthetics: I knew what I would be getting but was still underwhelmed that it comes in the same box as susvara, has the same cable as shangri la jr (from what I can tell), and is built as well as an Arya or he1000. Susvara looks and feels more premium in my opinion.
Initial comparisons against Susvara (mscaler/dave → wa33 std-> prion4) from memory:
  • Shangri La SR is more energetic, forward, brighter, less “polite”, drier, less body, harsher. The susvara is a chill headphone. You can just sit back and peer into the music. Shangri La Sr is much more engaging and in your face.
  • One of the things I love about the Susvara is that it not only sounds natural and organic tonally and has good body and fullness, it also sounds very natural and organic spatially. Currently, I am not finding that same unprecedented naturalness from the Shangri La Sr.
Initial comparisons against SR-X9000:
  • SR-x9000 is much bassier and warmer and not hot/harsh, overall a lot more “fun” headphone. Stage sounds closed and small in comparison to Shangri La SR, such that, SR-x9000 sounds less capable.
Concluding Initial Thoughts:
Shangri la Sr is an impressive headphone. I can see myself conclude in the coming weeks that it has the largest and most open stage. However, between the tonality and forward nature, it is not a “musical” (like Susvara) or “fun” headphone and instead a technical powerhouse for engaged listening.

Moving Forward:
I will post comparisons with CRBN and 009s when I get them back in a couple weeks. Additionally, I will compare Susvara after I get wa33 elite next week (and add any thoughts of Utopia, LCD5, sr1a and mysphere vs Shangri La Sr. if I find anything worth mentioning). And I will definitely be burning in the 3es elite tubes more.
Long overdue update. This was going to be a short update but I had too much to say…
TLDR at the bottom

Sound Impressions
Burn in did wonders, overall SRL is the best headphone I have ever heard. If I had to compare it with other headphones, it is sort of like taking a 1266tc up a notch, improving the tonality, but missing out on the bass slam. Another comparison would be its like a 009s taken up a notch and greatly improved the vastness of its stage and dynamics.
Soundstage is probably the largest I have ever heard and I honestly don’t think its close. To be clear this is not big in the way arya or hd800 is big. This is very deep, wide and tall and can place anywhere in the space. On cinematic, orchestral, or atmospheric music, the stage can sound nearly limitless but also be intimate for intimately placed instruments/vocalists.
Tonality is no longer harsh but it is still brighter and leaner than a lot of headphones, namely the Susvara.
Clarity is probably the best I have heard. Resolution, imaging, speed, authority, and incisiveness to match. This does mean it is also incredibly revealing which is not always a good thing.
Dynamics are insane. Sounds as if the dynamic range is higher on SRL and other headphones are compressed. Microdynamics and texture are also outstanding. Electronic, rock and metal are extremely engaging and fun.
Slam is pretty average overall, one of the weak points for sure. But incredible dynamics make up for this somewhat.

Comparisons
The following is all my opinion and you may disagree, especially if you value different sonic characteristics.
Originally I was going to give a comparison of SRL vs all the other flagship headphones I have or had but there is no need as the only one that is really all that interesting is Susvara. Susvara has a very different tonality, presentation, and much more body, weight and fullness while being a lot more laid back. 1266tc has that killer slam whereas the SRL suffers from being an estat in this regard. In every other regard, the SRL wins. Namely, the soundstage, resolution, speed, dynamics, clarity, and incisiveness of the SRL is just unlike anything else. If I went estat only route, I would miss out on that 1266tc bass and susvara magic though.

With SRL, pretty much every other headphone other than these 3 is just no longer worth listening to (lcd5, utopia, etc) and other estats (009s, CRBN, voce). They are just too far behind in technical ability and don’t offer as much of a differentiating factor to be worthwhile (unlike susvara and 1266tc). Other than maybe SRx9000 due to it having more bass and being warmer, but it is a solid step down from SRL and is not as contrasting as Susvara is from SRL.
I can see why someone would take Susvara or 1266tc over SRL, but no other headphone is in the conversation (and 1266tc is only in the conversation because it is being carried by its slam).
Also worth mentioning that the Mysphere is an absolute pleasure and unlike anything else. Due to the mysphere and Susvara, it would be hard for me to move to solely the SRL.

Tier list (based on performance, preference and unique characteristics but a big oversimplification)
SS: SRL
S: Susvara
A+: Utopia, 1266tc (because bass…), Mysphere, SRx9000
A-: D8000 pro, LCD5, 009, 009s, CRBN

Moving Forward
I plan to keep the SRL and will sell off most of my redundant headphone gear. Honestly I don't see a reason to keep CRBN, 009s or get any other estat (although I have yet to hear a he60, he90 or sr-omega). Once I am down to just SRL, susvara, and mysphere, I will have a really hard decision of if I can say bye to my planars/dynamics for good.
If I did, I'd pretty much be done with headphones because nothing else can compete and I wouldn’t have an amp of the similar tier. Future purchases would be to improve my chain (streamer, PSU, tube roll, etc) or sidgrade (viva stx, T2).

PSA: If you are one of those people that have a Susvara and an endgame setup for it, choose wisely before hearing SRL, because you might find yourself suddenly transported from your endgame destination to a fork in the road.

TLDR: SRL is the best, but Susvara is stupid good.

CE37453D-593C-4FA0-99F1-8E54CB0CE8FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #864 of 1,057
Long overdue update. This was going to be a short update but I had too much to say…
TLDR at the bottom

Sound Impressions
Burn in did wonders, overall SRL is the best headphone I have ever heard. If I had to compare it with other headphones, it is sort of like taking a 1266tc up a notch, improving the tonality, but missing out on the bass slam. Another comparison would be its like a 009s taken up a notch and greatly improved the vastness of its stage and dynamics.
Soundstage is probably the largest I have ever heard and I honestly don’t think its close. To be clear this is not big in the way arya or hd800 is big. This is very deep, wide and tall and can place anywhere in the space. On cinematic, orchestral, or atmospheric music, the stage can sound nearly limitless but also be intimate for intimately placed instruments/vocalists.
Tonality is no longer harsh but it is still brighter and leaner than a lot of headphones, namely the Susvara.
Clarity is probably the best I have heard. Resolution, imaging, speed, authority, and incisiveness to match. This does mean it is also incredibly revealing which is not always a good thing.
Dynamics are insane. Sounds as if the dynamic range is higher on SRL and other headphones are compressed. Microdynamics and texture are also outstanding. Electronic, rock and metal are extremely engaging and fun.
Slam is pretty average overall, one of the weak points for sure. But incredible dynamics make up for this somewhat.

Comparisons
The following is all my opinion and you may disagree, especially if you value different sonic characteristics.
Originally I was going to give a comparison of SRL vs all the other flagship headphones I have or had but there is no need as the only one that is really all that interesting is Susvara. Susvara has a very different tonality, presentation, and much more body, weight and fullness while being a lot more laid back. 1266tc has that killer slam whereas the SRL suffers from being an estat in this regard. In every other regard, the SRL wins. Namely, the soundstage, resolution, speed, dynamics, clarity, and incisiveness of the SRL is just unlike anything else. If I went estat only route, I would miss out on that 1266tc bass and susvara magic though.

With SRL, pretty much every other headphone other than these 3 is just no longer worth listening to (lcd5, utopia, etc) and other estats (009s, CRBN, voce). They are just too far behind in technical ability and don’t offer as much of a differentiating factor to be worthwhile (unlike susvara and 1266tc). Other than maybe SRx9000 due to it having more bass and being warmer, but it is a solid step down from SRL and is not as contrasting as Susvara is from SRL.
I can see why someone would take Susvara or 1266tc over SRL, but no other headphone is in the conversation (and 1266tc is only in the conversation because it is being carried by its slam).
Also worth mentioning that the Mysphere is an absolute pleasure and unlike anything else. Due to the mysphere and Susvara, it would be hard for me to move to solely the SRL.

Tier list (based on performance, preference and unique characteristics but a big oversimplification)
SS: SRL
S: Susvara
A+: Utopia, 1266tc (because bass…), Mysphere, SRx9000
A-: D8000 pro, LCD5, 009, 009s, CRBN

Moving Forward
I plan to keep the SRL and will sell off most of my redundant headphone gear. Honestly I don't see a reason to keep CRBN, 009s or get any other estat (although I have yet to hear a he60, he90 or sr-omega). Once I am down to just SRL, susvara, and mysphere, I will have a really hard decision of if I can say bye to my planars/dynamics for good.
If I did, I'd pretty much be done with headphones because nothing else can compete and I wouldn’t have an amp of the similar tier. Future purchases would be to improve my chain (streamer, PSU, tube roll, etc) or sidgrade (viva stx, T2).

PSA: If you are one of those people that have a Susvara and an endgame setup for it, choose wisely before hearing SRL, because you might find yourself suddenly transported from your endgame destination to a fork in the road.

TLDR: SRL is the best, but Susvara is stupid good.

CE37453D-593C-4FA0-99F1-8E54CB0CE8FF.jpeg

Love the update. And your impressions are pretty spot on to my ears. I've often told people, if you really like the Susvara, you'll very likely love the SGL Sr. Generally voiced similarly, but with the Sr. being much more technically proficient. The Susvara also has the more smooth/warm tonality of the two, which I do get if people prefer.

I eventually sold the Susvara, as it's a bit redundant.. but would've kept it if I had/needed a second system. I would say, anyone with 3-4+ TOTL headphones should strongly consider at least hearing them. May be worth selling off and just leaping for the SGL Sr. It's truly in a league of its own and like you, much of my other gear just sits here and I've been slowly selling off.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #865 of 1,057
Love the update. And your impressions are pretty spot on to my ears. I've often told people, if you really like the Susvara, you'll very likely love the SGL Sr. Generally voiced similarly, but with the Sr. being much more technically proficient. The Susvara also has the more smooth/warm tonality of the two, which I do get if people prefer.

I eventually sold the Susvara, as it's a bit redundant.. but would've kept it if I had/needed a second system. I would say, anyone with 3-4+ TOTL headphones should strongly consider at least hearing them. May be worth selling off and just leaping for the SGL Sr. It's truly in a league of its own and like you, much of my other gear just sits here and I've been slowly selling off.

Curious question here. just how similar the SGL is to sus fairly amp dependent? Ive heard from a couple people whos ears I trust (not that I always agree with their tastes, but I trust them to accurately explain what they are hearing) that the realism/timbre of SGL is behind sus/X9000. That said, they both used BHSE and not a T2/3ES/etc. Any chance you have noticed the timbre of SGL moving a fair bit by amp? I only realy ask since I personaly found the timbre of x9k to change wildly depending on amp (it was excelent on BHSE but on AIC-10 -> SRD-7 it was notably behind susvara)

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #866 of 1,057
Curious question here. just how similar the SGL is to sus fairly amp dependent? Ive heard from a couple people whos ears I trust (not that I always agree with their tastes, but I trust them to accurately explain what they are hearing) that the realism/timbre of SGL is behind sus/X9000. That said, they both used BHSE and not a T2/3ES/etc. Any chance you have noticed the timbre of SGL moving a fair bit by amp? I only realy ask since I personaly found the timbre of x9k to change wildly depending on amp (it was excelent on BHSE but on AIC-10 -> SRD-7 it was notably behind susvara)
I can't speak to the amp dependence of the SGL, but on my iESL setup, no way was it behind either the Susvara or X9000 in terms of realism or timbre!

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #867 of 1,057

I think it depends on how we define timbre. I think in some cases, people equate an overall (and in many cases artificial) thickness to the sound across the entire spectrum as 'optimal timbre'. In others, a warmer tonality, such as with the x9000 and Susvara equate to better timbre. But for me I mainly think about weight to the sound and realism of instruments and vocals, which the SGL easily surpasses both imo. A strike of a piano key simply sounds more realistic on it than either the Susvara or x9000.

That's been my opinion consistently regardless of amp. Instruments and vocals sound noticeably more realistic, with the x9000 coming pretty close. But compared to the Susvara, there's just no comparison to my ears. I haven't had the Susvara with the x9000 to compare, but this was one of the first things that stood out to me when I had both the Susvara and the Sr.

The Sr. does have enormous room to scale, similar to the Susvara and 007, so definitely the chain matters. But on every amp I've had, it's been pretty consistent.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #868 of 1,057
I think it depends on how we define timbre. I think in some cases, people equate an overall (and in many cases artificial) thickness to the sound across the entire spectrum as 'optimal timbre'. In others, a warmer tonality, such as with the x9000 and Susvara equate to better timbre. But for me I mainly think about weight to the sound and realism of instruments and vocals, which the SGL easily surpasses both imo. A strike of a piano key simply sounds more realistic on it than either the Susvara or x9000.

That fair on the definition. I think most modern definitions of "timbre" at least now focus on "how close to real is it", but what you key off of when determining timbre obviously plays a big role. I think your piano example is a good one for this too since I find the some cans will do piano astonishingly well but not ultimately have great timbre for more mid centric instruments/vocals (solitaire P is a great example of this). Either way, the next part answered more of what I was looking for with my question

The Sr. does have enormous room to scale, similar to the Susvara and 007, so definitely the chain matters. But on every amp I've had, it's been pretty consistent.

tyvm for the info. I was realy curious because of how much x9k changed (I find the timbre roughly sus level on BHSE but severaly lacking on AIC).

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #869 of 1,057
tyvm for the info. I was realy curious because of how much x9k changed (I find the timbre roughly sus level on BHSE but severaly lacking on AIC).

Gotcha. It could be specific to that AIC, or I may have just not tried them with enough amps to run across this. Although I preferred the timbre of the Aeras/T2 over the BHSE, but it was generally consistent across all three.

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #870 of 1,057
Gotcha. It could be specific to that AIC, or I may have just not tried them with enough amps to run across this. Although I preferred the timbre of the Aeras/T2 over the BHSE, but it was generally consistent across all three.

May well. Timbre of sus/aic is the best ive ever heard but its not realy the sound sig that I think x9k needs so maybe just bad synergy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back