HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jun 16, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #826 of 1,057
Why is this the case? What makes ribbon technology superior?
Probably a combination cheat of their open design and mass.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #827 of 1,057
Similarly as to the recent posts in this thread.. I've had the SGL Sr. now for I think 7-8 months. Up until the x9000 that I got a few months ago, I was pretty consistently using them about 90% of overall head time. With these added, the usage is still pretty high, closer to 70-80% I would say, with the stax making up a good difference. The sound is just refined and more technically competent beyond a level that anything else I have offers (x9000 does come close, hence the head time). The T2 has really made this worse, as it scaled up quite a bit from what I had prior.

On the Sr1a (which I have really struggled with weekly on keeping or not lol), I just can't see any amp pushing its performance in the neighborhood of the SGL. It just doesn't have certain capabilities (Density of sound for instruments and vocals), cohesion of the music/presentation, bass, etc.), and amplification isn't going to change that. Imo the gap is just too wide. Now if someone simply prefers the open nature of the Raal and the perceived clarity that comes with it due to the open design that's another story and can totally understand that. In either event, I would also like to try some of the new amps. The main reason I haven't sold it is due to what I just mentioned--the uniqueness of the design which does give it an edge in openness over the SGL.

In any event, it's really cool seeing the SGL Sr. in more hands on this site and the impressions that are following. :)
Ok, you did scratch a (slight) curiosity itch here...! I haven't tried the x9000s. I don't plan to for the reasons I stated above, but would you recommend those over the SGR in any situation other than price point? Really hard to find someone who has both and can answer that question.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #828 of 1,057
Ok, you did scratch a (slight) curiosity itch here...! I haven't tried the x9000s. I don't plan to for the reasons I stated above, but would you recommend those over the SGR in any situation other than price point? Really hard to find someone who has both and can answer that question.
FWIW, I generated a thread comparing the SGL vs. the X9000:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-s...tax-sr-x9000-vs-hfm-shangri-la-junior.962759/

I generally concur with @number1sixerfan 's assessment that the SGL has a technical edge on the X9000, but it's much closer than the price difference might lead one to believe. I'm actually trying to acquire both at this time.

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #829 of 1,057
For me, it all depends on what type of music you listen to. Many on this forum prefer electronic music with electric guitars, electric bass, etc. That I can't speak to. However, if you listen to classical primarily, I think the SGL is more versatile. In addition to all the detail and clarity that has been discussed, the sound they produce has more weight, more density. Big, complex orchestral pieces really benefit from the SGLs. Smaller ensembles, string grouping, cellos, violin pieces, etc, benefit from the airy, ethereal sound of the x9000. Clarity and weightlessness are hallmarks of the sound the x9000s to my ear. They are both excellent, but they excel at different things.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #830 of 1,057
I’ve owned the SGL Sr for one year now and this is by far the best headphone I’ve been able to listen to.

I also own the RAAL SR1a and the Abyss 1266TC. The latter is gathering dust as while technically very good, I don’t get the same emotions I get from the RAAL, not talking of the SGL Sr. I still like the SR1a but it could be tiring on some tracks with exacerbated upper mids (same experience as @number1sixerfan on this) The tonality of the SGL Sr is spot on to my ears from bass to treble with a really clean and deep subbass not letting me wanting to reach to the 1266TC.

The amp could have a role as I’m using the fantastic Viva STX with 300B tubes to drive the SGL while the 2 other headphones are driven by the RAAL HSA1b which is no slouch, a little warm but can’t compete with the Viva and the mighty 300B tubes I guess.

I will finally be able (at last) to listen to the SRX-9000 this we but I don’t have too much expectation as a good friend of mine told me that, while it bests all previous STAX for him, he still prefers by far the SGL Sr. I will make my own judgement but in the past we have always had the same judgments on audio devices.

Of course, at this level of TOTL equipment, overall enjoyment and appreciation is up to someone’s tastes and we can hear differently some nuances and have a bias to a specific frequency range, be overly sensitive to spaciousness etc… This said, I don’t know anyone having listened to the SGL Sr and having been disappointed, this would be verified once more this we during our meeting.

I take the opportunity to thanks of all the contributors to this thread and others related to the SGL for their detailed feedback. I think in particular to @number1sixerfan who has been very generous on comparing different TOTL headphones and amplifiers with a great benefit for the community here.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #831 of 1,057
If you can't get ears on the Uberamp -- since you are also in California, take the trip to to RAAL, go listen to their VM-1a, you will get a taste how how well they scale, how much they'll solidify, and how much the gap widens of any headphone in resolution, speed, staging. The contrary then becomes a preference, how much you prefer a more intimate sound, a more pressurized bass.

And I say that as one who owned the DIY T2. STAX or electrostats can't compete with a fully optimized ribbon, nothing can.

I'll be trying the VM-1a, more than likely will order before determining whether to keep the Sr1a. Again, I don't doubt that they'll improve, I just don't see any amp completely transforming it, which is what would be needed to fully compete imo. Speed between the two is matched. Staging is closely matched, although presented differently which will come down to user preference. Resolution I'd definitely give the overall edge to the SGL Sr., and that's even without what it picks up from the T2. So I would be incredibly surprised if my perspective here changes, but again.. I will test this all out and definitely share if it does.

Also, keep in mind I'm literally only talking about the SGL vs. Sr1a, which I've had on hand for quite some time. In comparison to just about any other stat.. resolution, speed, staging and everything else except bass and cohesiveness is pretty much a landslide in favor of the Raal.

Do you mean the T2 has made the difference between SGL and all other headphones greater? Or the difference between the SGL, X9000…and all the other headphones.

I really wish I’d never heard a T2 🙃

Every headphone I have put through the T2 has resulted in an overall improvement in sound that's very enjoyable. However, there are a select few in which I saw more significant improvement: SGL Sr., Stax 007 and the CRBN. The x9000 sounds amazing out of the T2, but I think the Aeras and BHSE level amps already get most of the performance out of it. The former cans mentioned definitely picked up a bit more relative performance gain to my ears, which makes sense to me as they're all harder to drive than the average stat. In either case, the x9000 can still very much hang; the SGL feels like it just pulled ahead a bit more than with the Aeras/BHSE.

And lol at the second sentence. :)

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #832 of 1,057

I think the main use case is to get an alternative flavor. The x9000 comes pretty close in all of the technical categories, and has a really different presentation. It's more mellow and laid back, with a bit more air. The SGL more forward and more picked up energy. I actually think they're really good complements.

Almost all of my sessions are either SGL Sr. solo or SGL + x9000. For music that really requires or lends itself well to ultimate resolution and speed, I go for the SGL. For slower, more intimate music the x9000 really shines. Same for mood, if I'm in a calming and relaxing state, I may pick up the x9000. Otherwise, usually the SGL. But both sound great in all cases and I end up overlapping as well. They are definitely worth the listen. :)

FWIW, I generated a thread comparing the SGL vs. the X9000:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-s...tax-sr-x9000-vs-hfm-shangri-la-junior.962759/

I generally concur with @number1sixerfan 's assessment that the SGL has a technical edge on the X9000, but it's much closer than the price difference might lead one to believe. I'm actually trying to acquire both at this time.

Yup, agree here. I know if I were starting all over, I'd definitely start by exploring the x9000 first from a price standpoint alone.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #833 of 1,057
Out of curiosity, it seems like the real big players in sumit-fi enegizers for the shang are the T2, Viva STX and 3ES elite. Has anyone here heard more than one of them and can provide any comparisons?

Also, anything else people think should be included in that list?

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #834 of 1,057
Out of curiosity, it seems like the real big players in sumit-fi enegizers for the shang are the T2, Viva STX and 3ES elite. Has anyone here heard more than one of them and can provide any comparisons?

Headamp DHT "soon" maybe?
Mjölnir megatron V2? (I guess this was Spritzers Version of the T2?)

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #835 of 1,057
I'm on a vacation and have listened to a ton of headphones all day (TCs, Stealths, Susvaras, Shangri-la Sr.), and I'm starting to think there's no need to own anything other than the TCs and the SGL :dt880smile:

(though one still probably needs a closed back for work)

I'm now very curious about the HE-1, though the price is really hard to swallow. The SGL just gets better the more I listen to it. The resolution, separation, and imaging are just unbelievable. I hope to get my Stax SR-X9000 sometime soon, but Stax is fukcing around. I ordered in November, and still no solid delivery date. :deadhorse:

I mean China went through severe covid lockdowns and Hifiman still managed to get me my SGL in 4 months. So shout-out to Hifiman :beerchug:

Anyway, I definitely look forward to comparing the X9K with the SGL. I can't imagine the X9K sounding better than the SGL, but who knows.

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #836 of 1,057
I'm now very curious about the HE-1
You should have already placed the order. I think I mention this a while back. :p

All your headphones can be bought by 99% of people here. A complete amateur can easily buy them without knowledge of headphones, but it takes a special person to own an HE1. It is very similar to legendary headphone ownership; only a certain amount of people will own them, for example, Qualia, L3000, HE90, etc...

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #837 of 1,057
You should have already placed the order. I think I mention this a while back. :p

All your headphones can be bought by 99% of people here. A complete amateur can easily buy them without knowledge of headphones, but it takes a special person to own an HE1. It is very similar to legendary headphone ownership; only a certain amount of people will own them, for example, Qualia, L3000, HE90, etc...
Actually the Person doesn't need to be special, just wealthy enough to afford it.

Interestingly Ciggavellis complete setup is about as expensive as the He1 system

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #838 of 1,057
doesn't need to be special,
Maybe for me, especially legendary headphone snatches.
Being at the right time, moment, and place and having the funds to pick up a Qualia for example must be on point. $8000 ready to go, once a year or two, and it's gone; ownership of 250 units only. Even if you have the funds, you must be lucky to get the opportunity to find a pair.

Interestingly Ciggavellis complete setup is about as expensive as the He1 system
Yeah, all he needs is his TC and maybe SGL. The rest can be sold and rebought if he wants to. The Susvara, for example, will eventually sell for $2500 used.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #839 of 1,057

The Shangrila Sr.'s own energizer (which is what I'm using)?

Now that COVID is the new normal, maybe a few of us in the NYC area can get together later in the summer and compare these high end electrostats. I currently have 3 on hand as mentioned, so if someone brings the new Stax we're set. And others if they want.

Well, I guess we have to use my energizer if we meet at my place, don't want people to lug energizers around.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #840 of 1,057
The Shangrila Sr.'s own amp (which is what I'm using)?

Now that COVID is the new normal, maybe a few of us in the NYC area can get later in the summer and compare. I currently have 3 electrostats on hand as mentioned, so if someone brings the new Stax we're set. And others. Well, I guess we have to use my energizer if we meet at my place, don't want people to lug energizers around.
I'd love someone to lug their 3ES to you to compare tho :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back