HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Apr 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,367 of 1,990
Guys if you would like LDHC support, just used Fiio Music app and enable HWA.

On iPhone???

Edit:

Just had a look, but could not find such settings in the Fiio Music App? Can you describe where?

And even if they are there, I doubt it works, because at least from what I heard from Hifiman, newer versions of iOS do not support HWA anymore (if they ever did).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,369 of 1,990
Apr 22, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #1,370 of 1,990
I couldn't not hesitate to buy the hm1000, I'm so looking forward to it.

I'm also getting the vr1 to test with it. The aim is to get a very expansive and natural sounding set up. Something which allows me listen to music for long session.

I'll make a dedicated thread soon.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #1,372 of 1,990
So you put in an order already? Where?
Directly from HFM. It was not easy as the app is not ready and they don't want people complaining they cant use all it's feature. But as I will be using it as desktop dac and Bluetooth, I don't care.
This will be the last day that will have the pcm1704.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,373 of 1,990
Directly from HFM. It was not easy as the app is not ready and they don't want people complaining they cant use all it's feature. But as I will be using it as desktop dac and Bluetooth, I don't care.

I didn't see the product listed at their site. Oh well, I look forward to your impression.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,374 of 1,990

Very exited to hear your impressions , too!
How much did you pay for it?

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,376 of 1,990
It's on hifiman.cn. You just need to email them and they will get back to you.

Will you get the black or golden one?
Hope they gave you a reviewer discount! :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,377 of 1,990
Will you gat the black or golden one?
Hope they gave you a reviewer discount! :wink:
How long until he actually gets it ?

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,378 of 1,990

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,379 of 1,990
I have some more (what I think „interesting“ ) things to share concerning the app on iOS!:rolling_eyes:

Those who followed this thread from the beginning and/or read about this device, know that there is this „Hifiman App“ for Android and iOS that supposively enables smartphones to become a LHDC High Res Bluetooth transmitter to the R2R2k, even though they don`t support the codec natively. Right?

Some here have written they feel this works very well and that the sound difference, using an iPhone as transmitter, is easily noticeable. Others have wondered how this technology actually works, especially on iOS, because as a matter of fact iOS only supports AAC and SBC bluetooth from the hardware side. Speculations have been made (please excuse I quoted some posts beneath, concerning this topic).

Well, since I am also an iPhone user I was very curious about this technology, too, and this was one of the reasons why I was so interested in this player. My first impressions, while listening to this device in a shop, were similar: I thought it sounds better when BT streaming Tidal from the Hifiman App (supposively LHDC) on my iPhone compared to using the regular Tidal app (supposively SBC).
But....really?

The longer I am owning this device now and listening and A/B comparing closely, I am wondering: Is there really a sound quality difference using the app? Or is it actually just a difference in volume (plays a little louder on the Hifiman app)? Well, still could be my ears...or that Tidal Hifi over SBC really sounds just as good as over LHDC (both sound good!).......but to be honest, I am/was not so sure anymore.

Also, I realised one can continue to stream from the Hifiman App while switching to other BT receivers that don`t support LHDC! The app continues to play "seamlessly", without even stopping. I found that a bit odd and was wondering again how this technology is actually supposed to work then? Could it be really possible that AAC or SBC is used as a "container" for compressed and then again decoded high res data?

So I wrote to the Hifiman Support once more and simply asked how it works. And you know what reply I got? :astonished:

"Only Android (and not iOS) devices can do LHDC over the app!"

What???

I asked about the iOS app that I have on my phone and was clearly marketed (right?) as that it can stream LHDC!
I was told that the app is now removed from the iOS app store!!! I checked it - and in fact it has been silently removed (though still on my phone)!
I asked: "But when it was still available (only a few weeks ago) it could do LHDC, right? And it will come back?"
And only got the reply that "currently there is no way to stream LHDC over iOS."
I asked once more whether it was possible before, when it was available - but still got no reply so far.

Now, I don`t want to point a finger on anybody and still wait for that the Hifiman support hopefully makes things clear , but sorry, isn`t all of that very strange? Can please somebody else confirm that it was written in the description of the iOS App some months ago that it does support LHDC on iOS? Maybe it would be a good idea to ask Savitech, the company that introduced LHDC?

When Fang Bian was trying to describe to me at RMAF how their hi-res SHDC BT works, he described it more as the iOS app compressing the audio file, then sending it over to the R2R2000 via BT as a compressed data file (not as an audio codec), and then having the R2R2000 decompress the file and then playing it in real-time.

I guess I have been behind the times keeping up with the latest R2R2000 news, but I didn't know that HiFiMan's SHDC was ever compatible with LHDC, just that they used a protocol that was similar but proprietary. Were the two standards ever interchangeable?

Are they saying that the HiFiMan app now cannot do hi-res bluetooth of any sort (SHDC in particular) anymore, or just that it can't do LHDC via an iPhone?

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #1,380 of 1,990
When Fang Bian was trying to describe to me at RMAF how their hi-res SHDC BT works, he described it more as the iOS app compressing the audio file, then sending it over to the R2R2000 via BT as a compressed data file (not as an audio codec), and then having the R2R2000 decompress the file and then playing it in real-time.

I guess I have been behind the times keeping up with the latest R2R2000 news, but I didn't know that HiFiMan's SHDC was ever compatible with LHDC, just that they used a protocol that was similar but proprietary. Were the two standards ever interchangeable?

Are they saying that the HiFiMan app now cannot do hi-res bluetooth of any sort (SHDC in particular) anymore, or just that it can't do LHDC via an iPhone?

Hifiman have deleted (or it was taken down?) the Hifiman App for iOS. So currently we are only talking about LHDC on iPhone here. Android is still available.

In addition, Huawei and Xiaomi have upgraded to LHDC 2 on most of their phones, and R2R2000 can only do LHDC1. So in future there might not be any more sources that support its codec natively.
Furthermore, Hifiman have told me that already some earlier versions of the iPhone app could not transmit LHDC anymore (though it was still written in the description of the app! Which is totally not ok - because that was practically a lie to the customers! The same as with the 30h battery life!)

If you ask me, the whole LHDC thing had a fishy smell from the beginning and I don`t know what to believe anymore.
iPhones are normally limited to AAC from the hardware side! If it`s that easy to use a high res BT-codec via software (as Bian has told you) - why not everybody is doing it then? I mean, I would be more than happy if it works, but why do we all still struggle then with lossy codecs? Streaming companies could just add LHDC to their apps and we would never think about lossy BT anymore then, right?

There might be reasons, most likely it`s policy of tech companies, but whatever the truth is - I don`t understand why Hifiman cannot be more transparent about it. At least they should adjust their marketing and be honest.
And how LHDC and SHDC hang together - I have no clue. I guess it`s basically the same thing, just a question of type of licence/contract with Savitech, the company who owns it.
Actually I have written to them twice and asked some questions about LHDC, but they never replied.

It`s all really weird and I guess one should not expect much in future. If you ask me, I think LHDC is going to die and the R2R2000 is going to be/stay an SBC only device. I am still asking myself if I am ok with that because I like its general sound signature and design quite a lot - it`s a kind of nerdy device that satisfies collectors emotional needs, more than technical ones imo.
Haven`t decided yet. But for sure I will be more careful with Hifiman in future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back