HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #106 of 1,984
R2R2k was a no-show at CanJam NYC today. Andy Regan mentioned it's a Chinese release for now, which kind of makes sense since that's where all the impressions are coming from. Maybe it's not ready for a worldwise release yet.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #107 of 1,984
My friend from mainland china tells me with each iteration the sound improves but the UI is simply inspired by Supermini. I personally dont think I'm ready for another primitive UI. Using apple and various music app made me want to buy Poly, and while I really dont like how Mojo sounds I'm willing to trade the inferior sound with the superior UI experience.

If now Hifiman finds a way to merry up the sound of R2R2000 with the apple UI......

As long as its not Android I'm on board

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #108 of 1,984
R2R2k was a no-show at CanJam NYC today. Andy Regan mentioned it's a Chinese release for now, which kind of makes sense since that's where all the impressions are coming from. Maybe it's not ready for a worldwise release yet.
I've been following the Hifiman marketing regarding R2R2000 release. They are first focusing on getting the old hm801 users onboard. Logic been they are old fan of that same tuning, most likely they are more forgiving of the UI and will simply focus on sound.
Once the positive word is out, and hype (justified or unjust) they will do a limited release overseas.
To be honest Hifiman gets a lot of bad rep in China, and people in general are hyper critical of them. Some might be just however what Hifiman was able to achieve in their time in hifi/portable audio is worth getting some respect.
I'm certain overseas release will be very limited, this so they can keep the price high and due to limited release justify the price.

As long as its not Android I'm on board
I think R2R2000 will both accept and send Blutetooth signal which means we can use our favourite device and app however I doubt relying on BT for optimum sound quality is something most buyers of R2R2K will do.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #109 of 1,984
I've been following the Hifiman marketing regarding R2R2000 release. They are first focusing on getting the old hm801 users onboard. Logic been they are old fan of that same tuning, most likely they are more forgiving of the UI and will simply focus on sound.
Once the positive word is out, and hype (justified or unjust) they will do a limited release overseas.
To be honest Hifiman gets a lot of bad rep in China, and people in general are hyper critical of them. Some might be just however what Hifiman was able to achieve in their time in hifi/portable audio is worth getting some respect.
I'm certain overseas release will be very limited, this so they can keep the price high and due to limited release justify the price.

I think R2R2000 will both accept and send Blutetooth signal which means we can use our favourite device and app however I doubt relying on BT for optimum sound quality is something most buyers of R2R2K will do.

Yeah I see the BT function being more convenient in situations either at work or hanging out where a BT speaker is around and instead of looking stuff up on youtube I have all my favorites ready to go. So in that aspect while it wont be something I very much use, those situations I'm attempting to be more gregarious it should work out nicely.

Personally speaking I feel most already know I am quite happy with the 901s. Recently I purchased the Hifiman 700 for my son as a sort of good job for all his hard work and promise he's been showing, not honestly thinking too much of it. However, quick on function, and so far from what little I have listened to it, Its pretty solid. One thing going for it right off the back is lack of expandable storage, but barring this I would say if I were one to go to the gym more or if I jogged I would take it along as its small, light and for the price I paid has great sound and drive. It seems they are not regarded here in America much less this forum which is why I dont mind dropping my 2 cents every time I get a chance haha. I understand it seems some have had issues with product integrity/quality, however, I simply cannot relate.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #110 of 1,984
Yeah I see the BT function being more convenient in situations either at work or hanging out where a BT speaker is around and instead of looking stuff up on youtube I have all my favorites ready to go. So in that aspect while it wont be something I very much use, those situations I'm attempting to be more gregarious it should work out nicely.

Personally speaking I feel most already know I am quite happy with the 901s. Recently I purchased the Hifiman 700 for my son as a sort of good job for all his hard work and promise he's been showing, not honestly thinking too much of it. However, quick on function, and so far from what little I have listened to it, Its pretty solid. One thing going for it right off the back is lack of expandable storage, but barring this I would say if I were one to go to the gym more or if I jogged I would take it along as its small, light and for the price I paid has great sound and drive. It seems they are not regarded here in America much less this forum which is why I dont mind dropping my 2 cents every time I get a chance haha. I understand it seems some have had issues with product integrity/quality, however, I simply cannot relate.

There are a number of DAP release I'm looking forward this year but for me currently I look forward to 1)Snappy UI and 2) Lots of storage. My WM1A has kept me happy, however the concept of Chord Poly (And hopefully HUGO2 with Go2) which allows two microSD card (which means 2x 400 GB MicroSD) is very attractive. I havent come across a fairly size DAP that sounds good, has snappy UI and has alot of storage. The latest AK dap is neither small nor cheap. All the current flagship DAP priced around HUGO 2 which honestly if Go2 can overcome Poly short coming they have a winner.

Hence why I have my eyes on R2R2000 which is the only truly portable DAP that doesnt need a man bag to curry around. It is smiliar size to AK120. But sadly the down side is poor UI.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #111 of 1,984
There are a number of DAP release I'm looking forward this year but for me currently I look forward to 1)Snappy UI and 2) Lots of storage. My WM1A has kept me happy, however the concept of Chord Poly (And hopefully HUGO2 with Go2) which allows two microSD card (which means 2x 400 GB MicroSD) is very attractive. I havent come across a fairly size DAP that sounds good, has snappy UI and has alot of storage. The latest AK dap is neither small nor cheap. All the current flagship DAP priced around HUGO 2 which honestly if Go2 can overcome Poly short coming they have a winner.

Hence why I have my eyes on R2R2000 which is the only truly portable DAP that doesnt need a man bag to curry around. It is smiliar size to AK120. But sadly the down side is poor UI.

Im somewhat toying with the notion of a W1ma for nothing but that 20-30 hours of playback, but even still at the moment I feel inclined to purchase another hifiman battery lol. I may look into that hugo 2, but I sort of doubt it as if I went in that direction I would feel more inclined for a full on desktop setup. I feel im already pushing it I feel by carrying my 901s and headphone conditioner in my ammo canvas bag, strapped to my leg lmao, so anything bigger or heavier (A&Ultima) is out of the question. At the same time with my current setup, its nice getting on public transit and everyone just sort of magically stepping aside lol (I wonder why). I am curious if Aune will step up soon and update their Aune M2s which I feel was a great first attempt but lack of updates and mediocre amp (though im aware it was a class A) ultimately had me sell it off.

This year as par as dap or pmp go Im sort of underwhelmed, hoping Hifiman to the rescue but until I get that full on comparison I'll hold my breathe that it can really outshine what I currently have by miles.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #112 of 1,984
Im somewhat toying with the notion of a W1ma for nothing but that 20-30 hours of playback, but even still at the moment I feel inclined to purchase another hifiman battery lol. I may look into that hugo 2, but I sort of doubt it as if I went in that direction I would feel more inclined for a full on desktop setup. I feel im already pushing it I feel by carrying my 901s and headphone conditioner in my ammo canvas bag, strapped to my leg lmao, so anything bigger or heavier (A&Ultima) is out of the question. At the same time with my current setup, its nice getting on public transit and everyone just sort of magically stepping aside lol (I wonder why). I am curious if Aune will step up soon and update their Aune M2s which I feel was a great first attempt but lack of updates and mediocre amp (though im aware it was a class A) ultimately had me sell it off.

This year as par as dap or pmp go Im sort of underwhelmed, hoping Hifiman to the rescue but until I get that full on comparison I'll hold my breathe that it can really outshine what I currently have by miles.
To me anything large than AK120 requires a bag to carry around comfortable. I really like the Aune M2s, but its UI and gapless playback was its ultimate downfall. Almost all Asian Daps have issues with UI.
The only other Asian daps, beside R2R2000 that I'm looking forward to is QA 361 which promised to be truly portable while bettering the QA360. Only other non Asian dap I have faith to get things right is Cowon, Plenue S is almost about done to be replaced.

WM1A has so many great features but UI is not designed to browse large volumes of music. Once again my ipad larger screen makes browsing much more attractive.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #113 of 1,984
I hadn't heard about QA361, I would be very interested in that given the praise of the prior version as well as the Limited Edition. IM Im also curious to see what Cowon has up its sleeve with the S replacement as well. Only time will tell.

*scampers off to read more on QA361*

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #114 of 1,984
To me anything large than AK120 requires a bag to carry around comfortable. I really like the Aune M2s, but its UI and gapless playback was its ultimate downfall. Almost all Asian Daps have issues with UI.
The only other Asian daps, beside R2R2000 that I'm looking forward to is QA 361 which promised to be truly portable while bettering the QA360. Only other non Asian dap I have faith to get things right is Cowon, Plenue S is almost about done to be replaced.

WM1A has so many great features but UI is not designed to browse large volumes of music. Once again my ipad larger screen makes browsing much more attractive.

Lol forgot I had actually commented on the look. Oddly enough given time I think Im going to have to take back what I said. I see no issue with its current iteration. Also by the look of it, is that 3.5mm trrs im seeing there? if so count me in

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #115 of 1,984
Lol forgot I had actually commented on the look. Oddly enough given time I think Im going to have to take back what I said. I see no issue with its current iteration. Also by the look of it, is that 3.5mm trrs im seeing there? if so count me in
Yes it is 3.5mm trrs and a single 3.5mm which Chen (the cheif dude at QLS audio) said to be as good as what he had on his QA360. He uses single ended and because of that he ensure single ended isn't ignored just because of balance connection.

Last news that I read based on their forum bulletin is that the entire PCB is going to be redesigned as they found out certain resistor ( I think) expands over time and that particular resistor was too good to be replaced by anything else. So now they got to redo the PCB and the extra space he wants to add extra things ( I dont know what). But dead line still intact.

Someone asked him why so much care for detail, his answer was that he wants to design a product that stays relevant for a long time. Do it once do it right. I just hope he gets it right. I mean QA360 sounded great, sure, but it is a lot bigger DAP and he has more space to work with.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #116 of 1,984
Yes it is 3.5mm trrs and a single 3.5mm which Chen (the cheif dude at QLS audio) said to be as good as what he had on his QA360. He uses single ended and because of that he ensure single ended isn't ignored just because of balance connection.

Last news that I read based on their forum bulletin is that the entire PCB is going to be redesigned as they found out certain resistor ( I think) expands over time and that particular resistor was too good to be replaced by anything else. So now they got to redo the PCB and the extra space he wants to add extra things ( I dont know what). But dead line still intact.

Someone asked him why so much care for detail, his answer was that he wants to design a product that stays relevant for a long time. Do it once do it right. I just hope he gets it right. I mean QA360 sounded great, sure, but it is a lot bigger DAP and he has more space to work with.

Looks like I have every reason to be excited now. When a person takes that much care and consideration its gonna show in the end. Looking for to it.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #117 of 1,984

Have you tried Plenue 2 mk II? Identical sound to the original P2 but with 256GB of internal storage and new Dignis case. Very compact and portable.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #118 of 1,984
Wow I’m glad I’ve been watching this thread, before it was just the soundaware MR1 and this r2r2k I was watching, now have to compare the QA361...
I still wonder if Hifiman is doin anything with this Player to make it pocket operable, like push the volume wheel to pause/play or anything at all.
Not having any physical buttons could be annoying

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #119 of 1,984
Wow I’m glad I’ve been watching this thread, before it was just the soundaware MR1 and this r2r2k I was watching, now have to compare the QA361...
I still wonder if Hifiman is doin anything with this Player to make it pocket operable, like push the volume wheel to pause/play or anything at all.
Not having any physical buttons could be annoying

Yeah, with the current setup, being pocket operable is something I doubt your going to get unless perhaps your using the BT function whilst streaming from your phone. Probably about as good as it will get, but of course we'll see.

As for the Soundaware MR1 it looks like I might be getting to review that here after the new years. Looking forward to impressions and sharing a thorough review (about as thorough as I can be) with headfi when the time comes. Not a huge fan of the aesthetics but more curious on what the sound will provide. Im extremely interested in the QA361 now even more so because he didnt seem to have a problem at all using 3.5mm trrs for the balanced. 3.5mm trrs gets so much flack around here, but I think people often forget it was the first. I feel too, if it wasn't more on the people simply not paying attention to that fact and thus plugging in to the wrong port and shorting out their own player there really wouldn't be an issue. Other than that in my experience it has taken better beatings than 2.5mm which can easily snap off in portable use (just my 2 cents).

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #120 of 1,984
Yeah, with the current setup, being pocket operable is something I doubt your going to get unless perhaps your using the BT function whilst streaming from your phone. Probably about as good as it will get, but of course we'll see.

As for the Soundaware MR1 it looks like I might be getting to review that here after the new years. Looking forward to impressions and sharing a thorough review (about as thorough as I can be) with headfi when the time comes. Not a huge fan of the aesthetics but more curious on what the sound will provide. Im extremely interested in the QA361 now even more so because he didnt seem to have a problem at all using 3.5mm trrs for the balanced. 3.5mm trrs gets so much flack around here, but I think people often forget it was the first. I feel too, if it wasn't more on the people simply not paying attention to that fact and thus plugging in to the wrong port and shorting out their own player there really wouldn't be an issue. Other than that in my experience it has taken better beatings than 2.5mm which can easily snap off in portable use (just my 2 cents).

The Bluetooth receiving is what’s keeping me interested in this one, it would be mainly for when your take the dog out for his 3 or more hours of walks... nice to keep those wires tucked away, he can get jumpy for almost no reason.
I was looking at the poly but getting a all in one player seems better to me now. A bit of streaming would be nice but it doesn’t need to be the highest quality for my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back