= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Jun 30, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #781 of 829
I took the rears off and didn't replace them with anything. I'm just really careful. While we're discussion mods I purchased 2 sheets duro 70 sorbathane and cut 16 pieces and lined the inner cup all the way around(there are more enough and have one side of them has adhesive) and cut 8 pieces 1x1 and a half inches of the same duro 70 and adhered 2 pieces on either side of the input jacks. 8 total on the outer cups. This is easy to do but not for the faint of heart. The sound improvement was staggering. Also consider purchasing an aftermarket headphone cable.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #783 of 829
A little late to the game, but better late than never ... :ksc75smile:

HE4XX_ModdedGrill.jpg

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #786 of 829
That's a stainless steel filtering mesh.
Various gauges available its pretty much audio transparent (as in you can't discern any differences in sound with or without them) yet it keeps out most of the dust.
Oh neat. I couldn't identify from photo it's actually steel mesh, looks fabric so much. Audio transparency is a good thing :) , actually the whole point in grill mod :dt880smile:. I'm not too worried about dust, but then again protection wouldn't hurt, as long it didn't have impact on sound.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #792 of 829
Its not a 3D print.

Its a laser cut stainless steel plate. If its of any practical value, its 0.5mm thick and 86mm in diameter.

Thanks for the reply i measured mine at 0.5mm and 85mm so i hope the one ive had printed fits should be fine.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #794 of 829
I have two more screens I've tried. One was a magnetic screen with a mesh about twice as big as the stock. Audibly very similar to the stock, in fact can't tell them apart.

The second a stiff aluminum weave grid that has a large hole size .5" x .5". It's audibly the same as no grid. It's thick so forget the ring to hold it down, it's also got zero flex so if it ever comes off it could damage the drivers badly. So I won't deploy that.

Next choice. I have two spare stock screens. Take off the dust catcher, clamp them down to a work surface, establish the drilling pattern, and drill out 7 holes at a time (1 center and six surrounding), leave enough space between the new holes so the screen is still functional, and holds together well. Then de-burr, and test them, if they work, then spray paint if needed, publish findings and enjoy.

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #795 of 829
Anything new about the HE400i mods?
Soon I will be getting my HE400i and I will follow the examples of mods posted here, but I think of putting rubber on the external cups to increase the rigidity of the set of cups as it was spoken here but pieces of other material was used, anyone knows something new?
Sorry bad english, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back