= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #736 of 829

I have done my mod using 4mm by 2mm stainless steel grille 0.8mm thickness. Each side is triple coated with ultra matt from krylon. Instead of using fabric, I used 0.25mm nylon mesh that are commonly found on mesh bags used for cashier tilt. They are closed to transparent but really good filter material. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #737 of 829

Looks quite nice. Can you share where you got, or how I might obtain the materials that you used.
I have used the octagonal grill and organza, but I like the way your look.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #739 of 829
If anyone here has spare grill rings (mine have 1 broken tab) that they can sell to me I'd appreciate it if you would PM me. Hifiman said they cannot send me spare parts....

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #740 of 829
  If anyone here has spare grill rings (mine have 1 broken tab) that they can sell to me I'd appreciate it if you would PM me. Hifiman said they cannot send me spare parts....

I you can't get new ring, you could try modding those Inspired Laser Designs fan grills as many on here have done. Those ring tabs are indeed quite fragile, broke on me aswell. My solution was fan grills as with those rings aren't needed anymore. Takes patience to mod, but isn't very hard afterall.

Fan pattern I use is really good even though not the fanciest one. Sturdy, good protection and open.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #741 of 829
Is the size of the grill the same for both the older HE400/HE500/HE6 and new HE560/HE400i?  I have a set of grills for my HE6 that are friction fit (the laser cut PC grills) and I was wondering if they will fit HE560 without any alterations.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #742 of 829
I've just removed the grills very quickly and the change is obvious. 

First minute impressions:
 -sound became much more crispy
 -larger soundstage and more detailed imaging 
 -probably a sideffect of the previous two, but I can pick out more subtleties and micro-details

The thing is, since the change is described here similarly, I doubt it'd be placebo. Impressed. Should've done it earlier.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #743 of 829
Just thought I'd add to this, my grills have been off for, I think 2 years? Maybe more, and no issues whatsoever. I have even taken them to work with me several times. So don't worry about dust/ damage due to being full open. Just be careful with them.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #744 of 829
I remember that I didn't notice much improvements after grill mod, quite subtle if something. But applying sorb, that made some real positive improvements. Overall cleaner, resonance free sound with even wider soundstage. Very recommended.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #745 of 829
I remember that I didn't notice much improvements after grill mod, quite subtle if something. But applying sorb, that made some real positive improvements. Overall cleaner, resonance free sound with even wider soundstage. Very recommended.

Wha hifiman was that with though? I've tried several things with my he4, best setup thus far was removing the state felt, no grill, and share 1540 pads. Everything else just didn't workout. I am still extremely happy with the he4 like this, just need new 1540 pads mine are worn

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #749 of 829
HE400. I myself use Shure SRH1440 pads, much more comfy and I generally like velour sound sig more than pleather.

The 1540 pads aren't pleather, there an open pore fabric (not sure what kind) they're the Alcantara pads

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #750 of 829
The 1540 pads aren't pleather, there an open pore fabric (not sure what kind) they're the Alcantara pads

Yeah, I know. I was referring to pleather pads because original HE400 are pleather. And I even modded jerg pads from my HE400 velours and pleathers, which are pleather actually with velour topping. But I found Shure 1440 velours to sound more natural in comparison. I'd like to hear 1540 pads, but aren't they quite expensive. Worth the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back