= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Mar 12, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #706 of 829
You don't need the mounting rings with the fan grills. The fan grills are actually, are a snugger fit. Especially if they're modded properly.
That's not what I meant. I'll naturally be taking the stock grill out, but I would like to keep the mounting ring that clips on to the housing and keeps the grill in place. Apparently with the InspiredLaserDesign grills you can't use the mounting ring, and have to rely on friction alone to keep them in place, at least unless you file off most of the thickness of the grill at its edges. I'd really prefer to have the mounting ring in place since it keeps the grill in more securely and makes it easier to make the finishing look good. So I'll probably stick to thin metal grills, at least for starters.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #707 of 829
That's not what I meant. I'll naturally be taking the stock grill out, but I would like to keep the mounting ring that clips on to the housing and keeps the grill in place. Apparently with the InspiredLaserDesign grills you can't use the mounting ring, and have to rely on friction alone to keep them in place, at least unless you file off most of the thickness of the grill at its edges. I'd really prefer to have the mounting ring in place since it keeps the grill in more securely and makes it easier to make the finishing look good. So I'll probably stick to thin metal grills, at least for starters.

Just so you know, the press fit ID grills are very stable and have never popped loose or shifted in over 14 months of use on two different headphones.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #709 of 829
Anyone know how to "glue" the fabric dust cover back onto the original grill? I took mine off earlier and now I want to put them back on lol. It wasn't glued when I first took them off, it was more like a adhesive grip.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #710 of 829
  Anyone know how to "glue" the fabric dust cover back onto the original grill? I took mine off earlier and now I want to put them back on lol. It wasn't glued when I first took them off, it was more like a adhesive grip.

Never had to do this myself, however, I feel like you could just use a very light spray of hair spray to the back of the grill and then place the fabric dust cover on it. When the hairspray dries it should be stuck down so that it wont move, but if you need to you should be able to peel it off easily.

I reiterate though, I haven't done this myself, I don't see why it would not work, but do it at your own risk.

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #714 of 829
Haven't seen these touched on recently so thought I'd bring it back up - these are actually computer grill covers sold via Amazon for Inspired Designs - they have quite a selection of designs - this is their "Biohazard" version.  Cost is very reasonable as well.  You order the 80mm size, trim down the mounting tabs slowly and make them a press fit in the well where the stock grill used to reside.  Depth is just about flush with the well depth so the look is good. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #720 of 829

I just yesterday got HE-400 and already did grill mod. Grill is from some old gadgets case, it was quite thick and so I had quite hard time to get plastic rings to fit. Some clips broke but I managed to glue them back together, except one. Outcome is still pretty good, and so is the sound, very!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back