HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #226 of 902
I wonder why hifiman didn't do the re-600 in brushed aluminium instead of the re-400.
The black shiny coating of the re-600 doesn't look as classy as the brushed re-400 ihmo.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #227 of 902
Quote:
I wonder why hifiman didn't do the re-600 in brushed aluminium instead of the re-400.
The black shiny coating of the re-600 doesn't look as classy as the brushed re-400 ihmo.

Eh, everyone sees these things differently, I guess - I think a black piano gloss lacquer type finish is infinitely classier than unfinished aluminum. But, from a more 'obvious to the consumer' sort of standpoint, it makes sense that the baseline would be just that - the 'base' of aluminum, and the upgrade would have something more on top to set it off. I'm just glad they didn't go with that brass lookin' version.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #228 of 902
Yea sure, your position is reasonable. Though black piano finish has been overused for quite some time. Today everything is glossy black even cheap budget products.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #229 of 902
I think the initial light gold finish could of turned out quite nice. I don't mind the piano black though, not too flashy.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #230 of 902
Quote:
Eh, everyone sees these things differently, I guess - I think a black piano gloss lacquer type finish is infinitely classier than unfinished aluminum. But, from a more 'obvious to the consumer' sort of standpoint, it makes sense that the baseline would be just that - the 'base' of aluminum, and the upgrade would have something more on top to set it off. I'm just glad they didn't go with that brass lookin' version.

I actually liked the "brass lookin' version".  It looked aesthetically nice, but flashy (I know lots of people on Head-Fi don't like flashy). 

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #231 of 902
I have to say with the size of these earphones, no colour would really make it particularly flashy in public... 
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #232 of 902
Quote:
I have to say with the size of these earphones, no colour would really make it particularly flashy in public... 
tongue.gif

They would when you're listening to them draped around your neck... wait, what? 
wink.gif

Regardless of what they look like, eagerly anticipating more reviews coming in and looking forward to grabbing myself a set within the coming weeks... 

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #233 of 902
Sorry to butt in guys, but the coupon does work and the promo for head-fiers' is still going on (about 10 days left).  We corrected the glitch so yes you would get 10% off any order over $200.  If something happens, let us know we will correct it!  Enjoy!

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #234 of 902
Quote:
Yea sure, your position is reasonable. Though black piano finish has been overused for quite some time. Today everything is glossy black even cheap budget products.

Hifiman is great at anything sound related but almost sucks on other aspects.  Marketing is especially the weakest link.  I never quite get their decision to offer their flagship, mid range, and entry level headphones or IEMs with the exactly same form factor, casing materials, and even colors.  We all know these are just aesthetics and we shouldn't fall for the marketing crap others are pulling to try to sell you $250 "fashion headphones", but still they can do better to satisfy buyer's expectation when they pay double or quadruple the price of an entry level product.

The RE-600 is not for everyone, as it didn't exaggerates any aspect of a recording and I don't see the mass immediately or easily wow'ed by its sound.  Its best qualities lie in how truthful and accurate it made your album sound, especially live recordings for classical, jazz, or vocal performances.  It don't have the "biggest" or "grandest" sound or even the "most analytical" sound among better IEMs.  It isn't a fun IEM, but it also isn't a dry monitoring IEM.  However, few IEMs can achieve the same realism for the imaging, timbre, and balance.    

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #235 of 902
.......................................................................................SNIP.......................................................................................
The RE-600 is not for everyone, as it didn't exaggerates any aspect of a recording and I don't see the mass immediately or easily wow'ed by its sound.  Its best qualities lie in how truthful and accurate it made your album sound, especially live recordings for classical, jazz, or vocal performances.  It don't have the "biggest" or "grandest" sound or even the "most analytical" sound among better IEMs.  It isn't a fun IEM, but it also isn't a dry monitoring IEM.  However, few IEMs can achieve the same realism for the imaging, timbre, and balance.    

+1...Well said! My sentiments exactly!

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #236 of 902
Hifiman decided on the housing shapes for RE-x00 based on function, not marketing or aesthetics. Due to their shape and small size, I can sleep with these in my ears even when I turn on my sides. They feel very comfortable with the right tips. Housing shape also has an effect on sound, which is probably the most important aspect of their housing design. I don't want them to change their housings based on stupid marketing BS. Please don't encourage them to go down that route...

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #237 of 902
Quote:
Hifiman decided on the housing shapes for RE-x00 based on function, not marketing or aesthetics. Due to their shape and small size, I sleep with these in my ears even when I turn on my sides. They feel very comfortable with the right tips. Housing shape also has an effect on sound, which is probably the most important aspect of their housing design. I don't want them to change their housings based on stupid marketing BS, please don't encourage them to go down that route...

+1 - The RE-400s are the absolute easiest IEMs I've ever fit into my ears. Their shape is charming, their size is incredibly useful, and however much those two things do or don't dictate acoustics, well... they nailed that too. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #239 of 902
Quote:
I'd be interested to see what's inside the RE-600 and RE-400 shells.  I'm assuming there's a different driver at the least.

HiFiMan already confirmed they are different drivers... 

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #240 of 902
HiFiMan already confirmed they are different drivers... 

Fang has also stated that not only the drivers are different, but also the voice coils. It is obvious that the cable is also different. That pretty much only leaves the housing. I fail to understand why, after so many posts that clarify this issue, there is so much doubt and skepticism as to the build differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back