HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Nov 5, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #271 of 301
They are growing on me, but i think i still prefer the Zero.

i totally get that.  personally i like the 0 more, its treble is just sooooooooooooooooo good, and so better than the 400 but treble aside the 400 is an amazing little beast. 

i just wish the 400 wasnt a replacement and you could still get the 0.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #273 of 301
Are there any mods that can be done on the RE400s?

Have any of you tried to remove the foam padded inside the canal?

There is foam inside the body? I can see that there is a filter on the tip of the nozzle. Is that what you mean?

They should have about 48 hours on them now, I've tried different tips(using short wide bore double flange Meelec brand tips right now) and they still don't sound as good to me as the RE-Zero. I'll keep them for a few more days and let them burn in more, but they may go back to Amazon in the end.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #275 of 301
Yup.

There's a bit of white foam packed inside the canal in between the driver and the black felt filter on the tip.

Have you tried them with it out? Can it be put back in?

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #276 of 301
Trying it now.

The foam isn't really that dense. Not so thick either - maybe 1 or 2 mm - and it's cut in a circle that's the same size as the canal of the RE400s. It's stuck to the black stock filter, so if you try removing the filter, chances are that you'll end up pulling out the foam as well.

I'm guessing it can be put back with a bit of work.

Listening to it without the foam or any kind of filter, the sound seems to have opened up and become even clearer and airy... but it also seems to end up emphasizing the highs a tiny bit more. I'll try listening to it a bit more like this, but I'm guessing that if I just replace the filter without putting the foam back in, I'm going to like that better.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #277 of 301
Trying it now.

The foam isn't really that dense. Not so thick either - maybe 1 or 2 mm - and it's cut in a circle that's the same size as the canal of the RE400s. It's stuck to the black stock filter, so if you try removing the filter, chances are that you'll end up pulling out the foam as well.

I'm guessing it can be put back with a bit of work.

Listening to it without the foam or any kind of filter, the sound seems to have opened up and become even clearer and airy... but it also seems to end up emphasizing the highs a tiny bit more. I'll try listening to it a bit more like this, but I'm guessing that if I just replace the filter without putting the foam back in, I'm going to like that better.

That's what I'm trying right now. I took the foam out and put new felt filters on. It does seem a bit better. Pretty simple to do.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #278 of 301
There is foam inside the body? I can see that there is a filter on the tip of the nozzle. Is that what you mean?

They should have about 48 hours on them now, I've tried different tips(using short wide bore double flange Meelec brand tips right now) and they still don't sound as good to me as the RE-Zero. I'll keep them for a few more days and let them burn in more, but they may go back to Amazon in the end.

fwiw: When I auditioned these, the pair the store had me try on was considerably worn already so I imagine that it had hundreds of hours on it already. It sounded glorious. But when I first listened to my newly bought pair, I was like "What are these, this isn't what I paid for..." --- so the sound does change significantly with burn-in on these. Even the store owner told me not to be surprised if the sound seems too thin at first.

Based on what I've read online, the point at which the RE400s really open up is after around 200 hours of use. I don't know if I've gotten to that point - I don't really count the hours - but the sound of my pair has indeed changed since when I first bought it.

Though I agree that if you still don't like them after a few more days of use, then maybe you just don't like them :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #279 of 301
I don't want to say that I like them as much as the RE-Zero after removing the foam just quite yet, but I'm listening right now and it seems better. Definitely seems more open and less congested with a slightly better top end. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #281 of 301
fwiw: When I auditioned these, the pair the store had me try on was considerably worn already so I imagine that it had hundreds of hours on it already. It sounded glorious. But when I first listened to my newly bought pair, I was like "What are these, this isn't what I paid for..." --- so the sound does change significantly with burn-in on these. Even the store owner told me not to be surprised if the sound seems too thin at first.

Based on what I've read online, the point at which the RE400s really open up is after around 200 hours of use. I don't know if I've gotten to that point - I don't really count the hours - but the sound of my pair has indeed changed since when I first bought it.

Though I agree that if you still don't like them after a few more days of use, then maybe you just don't like them
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm feeling the opposite, or at least I was. I thought they were too thick, not thin. Too much warmth, a bit of congestion, and a top end that was too mellow for me. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #282 of 301
Seems much better now without the foam. Just swapped back and forth between these and my Zero playing the same 45 second beginning of a song and they seem a lot closer now. The 400 has slightly more bass, which isn't a bad thing, but the top end seems to open up without the foam there. I'm sure HifiMan put the foam there to slightly tame the highs. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #283 of 301
Can anyone give me a quick comparison of the RE-400 to the Brainwavz M3? I have the latter and like them quite a bit but I find the bass slightly lacking. It's well controlled when it's there but seems a little... thin at times.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #285 of 301
Love the sound, the quality, the character - basically everything - of these IEMS... If I were to look for a full-sized headphone counterpart of the RE400s: A full-sized pair of headphones that sounds as close as possible to the RE400s... what headphones might those be?

i would like to know as well 

i know that the brainwavz r3 is the closest i've tried that sounded like the hifiman re400 (but the brainwavz r3 is an iem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back