HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Oct 22, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #256 of 301
The RE400 is single-ended which should work for your M9.
The RE400a has a 3-pole 3.5mm jack which should work with your M9.
The RE600 and RE400b(not sold separately) are balanced TRRS, which would need an adapter to work with your M9.

Which model do you have?

I havent recieved it yet. Just ordered the regular non mic version of the re400. When i say balanced with adapter i am referring to my old RE-Zero.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #257 of 301
So, I'm really starting to not like Amazon.com anymore. I ordered this item on Wednesday, it's now the following Monday night and the item still hasn't actually been shipped. It still shows "preparing for shipment" after 5 days. To me that is just not acceptable. Items should be shipped next day, or maybe 48 hours later at the most. There is no reason the item should not have shipped Friday, or at least today. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #260 of 301
I am the second owner of my current RE-Zero and its still working great. I keep reading how the 400 is a slight improvement and it wont have the stupid balanced adapter that i hate about the RE-Zero. Thats why i ordered an RE-400, not because of an issue with my RE-Zero.

Anyway, second owner of this RE-Zero. I dont know how careful the previous owner was, but im always pretty easy on all my gear. I've had them for over a year. They seem to be just as well built as other similarly prices earphones.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #263 of 301
Got them. Initial impression: I hope the top end opens up a little bit more with some break in. My RE-Zero sounds better up top, but it has hundreds and hundreds of hours on it. The RE-Zero also seems easier to drive so far, no problem for the LG V10 though.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #264 of 301
Wide bore tips certainly open up the top better. Just switched to the thinner, single flange, wide bore tips that come included. Better top end, but less isolation than the small double flange that come installed.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #265 of 301
  Wide bore tips certainly open up the top better. Just switched to the thinner, single flange, wide bore tips that come included. Better top end, but less isolation than the small double flange that come installed.

wow I guess you like em quite neutral ehh?

I found it a bit too lean with those tips you mentioned!

I ended up using my re400 with the Philips she3590 eartips which is a bit narrower and longer

I felt it gave a good balance in between!

but glad you found a configuration that's to your liking! the re400s are a nice sounding pair indeed!

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #266 of 301
Yea, the narrow bore tips just sounded like they were restricting the top end. I do like things to sound neutral. I like to listen at a somewhat low volume, and i like lots of detail, and sparkle.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #267 of 301
So these are supposed to sound better than the RE-Zero, correct? So far I like my old RE-Zero much better. It just sounds much clearer.

I have the RE400 playing on my break in rig, which is just an old ipod nano. Hopefully after a day or two of that the clarity will improve.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #268 of 301
Just took them off the ipod burn in rig and have them in right now. The top end sounds a little bit more open. Hopefully they keep getting better. They do sound good and a bit different in some ways than the RE-Zero. The midrange is a bit different and these do have a bit more bass.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #269 of 301
So these are supposed to sound better than the RE-Zero, correct? So far I like my old RE-Zero much better. It just sounds much clearer.

in short, no.

they are tuned differently, to more generaly crowd pleaseing tonality but they are in no way "better" than the old 0 or ZERO, particularly in the treble, the 0 was just plain better there.

not that the 400 isnt incredible and beats everything at its price but its not an improvement, its a retuning

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #270 of 301
They are growing on me, but i think i still prefer the Zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back