HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #241 of 301
oooooh good question.

well they are more side grades.  both are fantastic, the titan is certainly the more imediatly spectacular with its treble and bass but i might just give the titan as the "better" sounding by a hair.  the 400 has silghtly gritty treble.  however.................. the 400 is quite the little marvel and it actualy isolates, not amazingly well but a usable ammount and the titan doesnt so out side use i would always, ALWAYS take the 400.

isolation aside, mostly they are just different flavours, the 400 being a little rich, bit bassy bit middy.  the titan a bit V shaped thumpy bass and dazzeling treble.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #242 of 301
After purchasing my first real set of headphones (HE400) I immediately decided I needed some proper IEMs as opposed to the crappy things I was using. Original plan was the CX300II but after reading this thread I went with the RE400 (brand whore, I know).

Arrived today, currently listening to them now. Love the way they sound. Really impressed with build quality and the additional tips and case it comes with.

Super happy.

But for cereal, I gotta stop reading this website or imma go broke.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #243 of 301
I bought the RE-400s and love the sound quality.

The problem is that I walk around town with them connected to my phone in my pocket. The nylon wrap on the cable rubs against my clothing, generates static electricity, and I hear a crack/pop sound frequently. (Often every step I take.) This depends on the weather--cold and windy days are the worst, and make the headphones unlistenable.

I see that some places sell alternative cables which I was thinking of trying, even though they cost almost as much as the headphones themselves.

Looking at the headphones, I don't see a way to disconnect the cables from the earbuds. They look permanently attached and I don't want to tug on them or twist them for fear of permanently breaking them off. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #244 of 301
erm if you want to change the cable then im afraid its a cut and rewire job.

the cables they have are not removable im afraid.

are you sure its static though and not just microphonics?

have you tried wearing them up to see if that helps your issue?

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #245 of 301
  erm if you want to change the cable then im afraid its a cut and rewire job.

the cables they have are not removable im afraid.

are you sure its static though and not just microphonics?

have you tried wearing them up to see if that helps your issue?

I didn't know what the problem was because none of my other headphones have made this sound. I thought maybe there was an imperfection in the cable somewhere that was causing it to short, so I sent it back for warranty service, but the replacement headphones I got make the same sound.

I finally determined that it was static electricity the other day when I was taking my jacket off and the headphone cable was static-clinging to the jacket and as the cable moved up and down the jacket I heard many clicks and pops.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #247 of 301
  are you positive its not microphonics?  vibration from the cable rubbing being carried up.

if its really static then its the first ive ever heard of it happening so i really wouldnt know quite what to suggest

Yes, I'm positive. The sound is hard to describe but now that I know it's static electricity, it sounds like a static discharge. Like a click or pop or spark. Very different from microphonics.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #251 of 301
My RE400 conducts static very easily as well.  I don't get static noises while I'm walking, but when I take off my backpack the static created from my backpack rubbing against my jackets causes crackling noises and sends static shocks to my ear through the metal housing.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #252 of 301
  My RE400 conducts static very easily as well.  I don't get static noises while I'm walking, but when I take off my backpack the static created from my backpack rubbing against my jackets causes crackling noises and sends static shocks to my ear through the metal housing.

i didn't notice that with the re400s but i did have that happen to me today for the first time with the dunu titan 1s.

i agree it is a weird feeling but i think its because of the fabric cable (but the top half on both earphones has a rubber sheath right)

hm....

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #254 of 301
Just ordered an re400 from Amazon for $80. I like my RE-Zero, but I hate that I have to use the stupid adapter to plug into my HTC One M9 since like 99% of all devices isn't balanced. Also when walking with the phone in my pocket wearing these I was getting a random static click sound so I assumed something was failing, probably somewhere in the adapter peice, but reading the last page here has me worried that these are going to do the same thing. Hopefully not. Something about the RE-Zero has me liking them more than the pricier Vsonic GR01, if the RE400 sounds pretty much the same as the RE-Zero and doesn't have the same static issue as my RE-Zero I'll be happy.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #255 of 301
Just ordered an re400 from Amazon for $80. I like my RE-Zero, but I hate that I have to use the stupid adapter to plug into my HTC One M9 since like 99% of all devices isn't balanced. Also when walking with the phone in my pocket wearing these I was getting a random static click sound so I assumed something was failing, probably somewhere in the adapter peice, but reading the last page here has me worried that these are going to do the same thing. Hopefully not. Something about the RE-Zero has me liking them more than the pricier Vsonic GR01, if the RE400 sounds pretty much the same as the RE-Zero and doesn't have the same static issue as my RE-Zero I'll be happy.

The RE400 is single-ended which should work for your M9.
The RE400a has a 3-pole 3.5mm jack which should work with your M9.
The RE600 and RE400b(not sold separately) are balanced TRRS, which would need an adapter to work with your M9.

Which model do you have?

Edit: My bad. He mentions the adapter only in relation to his RE-Zero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back