HIFIMAN on Wood
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 71
Does this need it's own thread?!

A front page article for pictures of 2 chairs. I thought it would be a detailed look at the procurement or manufacturing process that shows how the wood is used in the design.

Oh Hifiman :D

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 71
It could be made of fiber glass for all I care, the HE-1000 sound sublime, and ultimately, that's all that matters to me. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 71
Regular brand: "look at how we manufacture our product, this is how we treat this high quality wood and make it part of our product"

Hifiman: "our products use wood, like a chair"

EDIT:

Regular brand: OK, development cost was 1000$ per unit, so using our regular 3x profit margin, final price is 3000$

Hifiman: OK, development cost was 20$ per unit, but sounds like 3000$, so final price is 3000$.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 71
If anyone's confused to as why this thread exists, here's some context.  There was a Head-Fi thread (now locked) in the Summit-Fi forum on the unreleased Hifiman Editon 6.  Members were outraged at the price, Hifiman's product release schedule (i.e. releasing an unfinished product in the HE-1000, then releasing a V2 a few months later without offering much compensation to buyers of the original), and build quality (i.e. the choice to implement what was viewed as a cheap, flimsy alternative to real wood in such an expensive product).  In his attempt to damage control and defend the prices of Hifiman's products, Fang managed this debacle extremely poorly, worsening the situation.  Many of his more polarizing posts were deleted, now rendered unviewable.

This seems to be a response of sorts to the unpopularity of Hifiman's use of plywood in their products.

Here's the thread in question:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/831355

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #28 of 71
  My he 560 sound good and was looking good but after 1.5 year the head band and ear pad became completly "waxed" in 10 days 
at 700$ i feel little desapointed 

What do you mean, 'waxed'?

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #29 of 71
You'd think you'd get something higher quality than plywood for the money invested...

That last image of the Boston team's stool looks like a senior project for a BS (Bachelor) student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back