Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Nov 8, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #421 of 666
I have to find a way to get my hand on this. I think the Musical card and minibox Gold have enormous potential.

I am quiet happy with wolfson sound, the idea of getting the hm802u is quiet tempting, 

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #422 of 666
  I have to find a way to get my hand on this. I think the Musical card and minibox Gold have enormous potential.

I am quiet happy with wolfson sound, the idea of getting the hm802u is quiet tempting, 

I m selling the musical card... going to go full balanced.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #424 of 666
Nov 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #425 of 666
I think it is overly focused on the upper midrange and treble. For acoustic instruments and female vocals it sounds fantastic, but for other genres like rock in general it sounds tonally off to my ears, as it lacks lower midrange presence. For me, it is too bright.

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #426 of 666
How do you hear the Musical amp card? Strong and weak points?

vocal sound intimate n string instruments realistic.

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #427 of 666
  with a balanced card and FW 200.4...this DAP is very very good for grado phones..i like it a lot..looks like they match perfectly.

I think the balanced card on the 901s is great with all phones. Excellent sounding 

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #428 of 666
I think it is overly focused on the upper midrange and treble. For acoustic instruments and female vocals it sounds fantastic, but for other genres like rock in general it sounds tonally off to my ears, as it lacks lower midrange presence. For me, it is too bright.
what is the headphone that you use? For me, with multiple pairing with different headphones and iems, the musical card has the fullest low bass of all the amp card in HFM's line up. Mid range is full and warm, the presence is enough. The treble though is different for low and high gain. For low gain its a little too relaxed, for high gain it's brighter and become pretty neutral in my opinion. It is musical in a different way than the balanced card which accentuate the upper bass and lower mids a little bit.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #430 of 666
Anyone knows what the output impedance of the Musical amp card is?

If it has a somewhat high output impedance this could lead to the perceived extra upper frequencies and reduced output in the low end with multi-BA IEMs.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #432 of 666
Anyone knows what the output impedance of the Musical amp card is?

If it has a somewhat high output impedance this could lead to the perceived extra upper frequencies and reduced output in the low end with multi-BA IEMs.

Yes I was actually thinking something similar, could just be a mismatch with (my) iems. Just to check, the musical card is the same yellow fen li discrete card or not? If not I'm totally off and you can ignore everything I said :)

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #433 of 666
Hi guys I have a pair of shure se846 and had the chance to get a hifiman hm901s or ak120ii..any recommendations?

It depends on what you prefer. If either UI, playlist functionality or EQ is very important to you, then forget any HiFiMan DAP. If sound quality and value for money (in that regard) is the most important to you, I can recommend the HM901S.

I haven't heard any Astell&Kern player, but have read several people saying that the HM901S and AK240 are on the same SQ level and some prefer the HM901S over the AK240.

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #435 of 666
  Yes I was actually thinking something similar, could just be a mismatch with (my) iems. Just to check, the musical card is the same yellow fen li discrete card or not? If not I'm totally off and you can ignore everything I said :)

Apparently there are a few version ard.. There are a few DIY version meaning from the DIY maker himself (only high gain).. and the current one from hifiman is the official one (can switch low or high gain). I like the discrete or so call musical or fenli card but if u listen to wider genes of music then the balanced or the minibox gold is better... else vocal etc... discrete is the best  so far. For power output it  is lower then balanced, gain for gain for sure.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back