Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Oct 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #391 of 666
Do
apology if these had been asked before..

is the new elfidelity balanced card comes with the 901s as stock?
how does it differ with the old version of the balanced card?

is it necessary to remove the amp card if i connect the 901s to an external amp?

I ve been wondering the same thing, Don. Whether or not ours came with the new or old bal card. Hopefully the new one.

Btw..i just bought minibox gold card from taobao. Damn...the price is usd100 increased from official price (and that is usd400 i paid). But no choice. I search everywhere but no luck except taobao link.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #392 of 666
Do
I ve been wondering the same thing, Don. Whether or not ours came with the new or old bal card. Hopefully the new one.

Btw..i just bought minibox gold card from taobao. Damn...the price is usd100 increased from official price (and that is usd400 i paid). But no choice. I search everywhere but no luck except taobao link.

i just got mine...
unfortunately, it comes with the old balanced card, not the elfidelity...
hopefully soon someone will share us some thoughts of it..

this thing is really hefty!

out of the box, the battery is drained..tsk3..

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #393 of 666
i just got mine...
unfortunately, it comes with the old balanced card, not the elfidelity...
hopefully soon someone will share us some thoughts of it..

this thing is really hefty!

out of the box, the battery is drained..tsk3..

So how u like it? Balanced card gives bright tone?

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #395 of 666
I don't think the Elfidelity amp card necessarily is an upgrade versus the "normal" Balanced amp card. If I remember correctly the price is $299 for both that and the balanced Elfidelity card. This suggests that it's a matter of taste rather than SQ.

Regarding battery life with / without amp card I am not sure. If the amp card is powered while the line out is used (with external amp) then battery life will be shorter than if you remove the card. However, I hear relay clicks when the DAP starts and stops playing, and this could be power on/off to the amp card. If this is also done when you connect to line out, then there will be no difference in battery life. Haven't checked this myself, but it's easily done.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #396 of 666
i cant turn it on..
out of the box, the battery is drained..
charging it now..
You know you have to engage the power button for about 2 seconds for it to power on?

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #399 of 666
When you use the LO you use an external amp instead of the amp card, so both amps are not running, so no consumption for amp card.

You can use both the headphone out and lineout at the same time w/o any issue. That way you can compare the difference between the internal amp card and an external amp. I've done this plenty of times :)

You can even use both the balanced and single end headphone out at the same time too, if you like :D

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #401 of 666
What are the general thoughts here on SQ of the 901 vs. 901S? My 901 unit is faulty so I have the option of a replacement or upgrading to 901S (not 901U) for $500. But I still think $500 is a lot if the difference is mainly UI..

There is Sq improvement as posted by some users.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #403 of 666
Yes I've read some comments, was wondering if people think it's a $500 improvement in SQ and overall usability.
U might want to listen to them to compare. Since hm901u is also 500 cheaper then hm901s. But so far 1 person who has the hm901 and hm901s told me the top up is worth it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #405 of 666
I can't try anything here.. Have to rely on the forum for impressions. You didn't happen to hear the 901 yourself if I understand correctly?

Nope.. But my advice is if u can afford get the hm901s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back