Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
May 12, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #46 of 585
Think every dap plays from an SD card.
Not for the HM1000 at this current stage. It is for now purely functioning as DAC instead of DAP

May 12, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #47 of 585
Sorry for lack of response, I've been very busy.
At the moment micro SD card is not enabled. Also HM1000 is a class AB amp, it gets hot and it is much bigger than r2r2k. If portability is a key factor, those might be important deciding factor.

Sound alone, for me hm1000 is an upgrade. It sounds warmer and more natural, more open and larger soundstage, but currently very source dependent.

May 20, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #49 of 585
HM1000 needs a good 200+ to open up. O the lower end impact on HM1000, it is so deep, and extends deep low.

After spending some time with the device - can you maybe make a full description of the sound signature compared to other (of your) devices? :)

May 21, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #50 of 585
After spending some time with the device - can you maybe make a full description of the sound signature compared to other (of your) devices? :)
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to fully test it. Once microsd is active, I'll do a proper test.
As is, it is not ready yet.

May 21, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #51 of 585
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to fully test it. Once microsd is active, I'll do a proper test.
As is, it is not ready yet.

Ungh....do you think this is happening any time soon? I don`t think so. I mean....it`s Hifiman :L3000:

But you could get an impression of the sound as a USB DAC, couldn`t you? Should not be so different to SD card? At least my R2R2000 red sounds almost the same from USB and SD?

May 21, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #52 of 585
Ungh....do you think this is happening any time soon? I don`t think so. I mean....it`s Hifiman :L3000:

But you could get an impression of the sound as a USB DAC, couldn`t you? Should not be so different to SD card? At least my R2R2000 red sounds almost the same from USB and SD?
I'm on the testing team of the soon to be app, I can't talk about it, but the Bluetooth stability improved. Nothing to write home about, but it did improve.
I for one would be severely disappointed if I can't use it as a dap, but as a dac/amp. All things considered, I recommend R2R2000red, or keep an eye on the Luxury Precision P6.

I might love the sound of PCM1704, but usability needs to be at least stable, if not modern.

May 21, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #53 of 585
I'm on the testing team of the soon to be app, I can't talk about it, but the Bluetooth stability improved. Nothing to write home about, but it did improve.
I for one would be severely disappointed if I can't use it as a dap, but as a dac/amp. All things considered, I recommend R2R2000red, or keep an eye on the Luxury Precision P6.

I might love the sound of PCM1704, but usability needs to be at least stable, if not modern.

Thanks but can`t you just maybe give a brief first impression of the signature compared to your Sony, for example? Would be really nice! :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #54 of 585
Thanks but can`t you just give a brief first impression of the signature compared to your Sony, for example? :)
Yes he can easily throw various Audiophile words inorder to please you and make you want it.

May 21, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #55 of 585
Yes he can easily throw various Audiophile words inorder to please you and make you want it.

Isn`t the whole forum about that? :)

I won`t buy it anyway, because it is too expensive, but I am here because I like reading about these things. Don`t you, too?

May 21, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #56 of 585
Isn`t the whole forum about that? :)

I won`t buy it anyway, because it is too expensive, but I am here because I like reading about these things. Don`t you, too?
I want the truth. I want something I will keep atleast over a year and not be a fool just buying and selling every other month. Obvious if you read between the lines hes saying the unit is not ready and if your main focus is sound you can just enjoy the r2r red.

May 21, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #57 of 585
I want the truth. I want something I will keep atleast over a year and not be a fool just buying and selling every other month. Obvious if you read between the lines hes saying the unit is not ready and if your main focus is sound you can just enjoy the r2r red.

Well, I read „not ready“ in terms of BT connection, app, function as DAP. But describing the sound signature has nothing to do with all of that? Because it will not dramatically change, even after the HM1000 is „ready“? I am just curious, that is all, and in my case this curiosity has nothing to do with my future purchases or how happy I am with my R2R2000 Red. I don know about you, but I am not just on Headfi because I want to find out what I buy next. I am also here because I just like to read and learn more about different devices. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #58 of 585
There are plenty of desktop dac/amp which are much cheaper but sound awesome. If this thing gives no stable DAP option,
there is no merit. I hold onto R2R2K almost year for them to come up with usable streaming solution but never came.
Although this thing looks appealing with 1704 chips and all..just a dream for now.

May 22, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #59 of 585
to come up with usable streaming solution but never came.

By "streaming" you mean High Res BT? In other words the Hifiman-App?

May 24, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #60 of 585
Today I played around with the lineout feature of the HMK, and how it is comparing with with its headphone out. I used my trust HUM Hypno. If I cannot ever use this as a proper DAP, I can say as a DAC this thing rocks! So much more dynamic, so much more detail, I just love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back