HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,521 of 3,445
  Sure, that is what I figured but my remote only works sometimes so I thought something else was going on. 

Are you using both the USB and other SPDIF inputs like the Coax or Optical?  Try using only the USB.  There's a bug where if both USB and SPDIF are used at the same time, the remote stops functioning.

But switching to the Player mode and then playing songs from the SD Card will then cut off the USB SPDIF input and it no longer functions until I power cycle the HM-901 player, so mode switching between the player is essentially useless right now.

Lots of bugs to fix, but it does sound glorious when using USB input.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,522 of 3,445
I am still trying to figure out how to use everything. I have been just using the 901 with a card loaded and using the buffer with an external amp. Now to use the USB from my computer with an external supply of music. 

Ok, got the USB playing. Now to get a player so I can use my high resolution stuff. Has anyone done DSD? 

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,523 of 3,445
I can get the player to do CD resolution but any Hires via the USB shows the music playing but nothing, I would guess, is passing through the 901 as I get no sound. I am on 1.085 beta. 

On Audirvarna, which has great reviews, I can't get greater than 96khz to play. That is the max of the MacBook Pro but the Audirvarna overrides that but for some reason that isn't happening. Will have to go on their site. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #2,524 of 3,445
I can get the player to do CD resolution but any Hires via the USB shows the music playing but nothing, I would guess, is passing through the 901 as I get no sound. I am on 1.085 beta. 

On Audirvarna, which has great reviews, I can't get greater than 96khz to play. That is the max of the MacBook Pro but the Audirvarna overrides that but for some reason that isn't happening. Will have to go on their site. 

What do you mean this is the max of the MBP? Are you using line out or USB?

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,525 of 3,445
USB, the player shows and plays 24/192khz but no sound from the 901. If I reduce the khz to 96 and restart the player, then I get sound out of the 901.

I am using the dock with 24/96 and 16/44 and it sounds very good coupled with my fi.Q as the amp. Using the internal amp of the 901 is also excellent. Nice to have 2tb of music and running it into the dock via the USB and into whatever amp I want to use with the 901 kept charged by the docking station.

Whoa, the, been using the buffer system of the docking station and something is burning in because the scope of the sound is really opening up and the impact is incredible. Superb drive and definition.

The docking station is a preproduction review sample.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #2,526 of 3,445
Hi all,

I got a brand new HM901 today. But I have problems/questions about it.

Now I am charging it, when I try to turn it on, a battery comes to screen and after goes. Does it mean it charges? And when I disconnect the charge cable and turn it on, nothing happens. (I dont have an sd card inside)

How many hours did you charge the player to turn it on?

I hope it is not a faulty unit.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #2,527 of 3,445
HM901 must be charged when turned off or else it won't get enough power to actually charge the battery (as the player sucks up too much power when turns on). The LED light on the charger should go green when fully charged.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2,528 of 3,445
I wouldn't use it while charging. I think the battery doesn't fully charge if you do that. I know you can't wait to try it. I know the feeling :) Let it fully charge, specially the first time. I always charge mine over night (8 hours).

Yes, it should turn on, even without an sd card.

If it doesn't turn on after fully charged, take the battery out for a couple of minutes and put it back in. It works for me.

The 901 can be moody some times, but once you get to know it, it can become your very best friend haha :)

Let me know if this helped

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #2,529 of 3,445
As I mentioned before, let the battery charged till the charger light become green. However, at that point of time when it just turned green, and u try to switch off the power supply u will notice it become green again. Better let it charge for half to one hour more when the charger just turned green. Then u will find that after that extra charging period of half to one hour and u switch of the power, the green light on charger still appear. To me it means the battery is fully charged. The newly supplies battery in fact is quite lasting.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,530 of 3,445
Sorry typo error and amended:

As I mentioned before, let the battery charged till the charger light become green. However, at that point of time when it just turned green, and u try to switch off the power supply u will notice it become RED again. Better let it charge for half to one hour more when the charger just turned green. Then u will find that after that extra charging period of half to one hour and u switch of the power, the green light on charger still appear. To me it means the battery is fully charged. The newly supplies battery in fact is quite lasting.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #2,531 of 3,445
HM901 must be charged when turned off or else it won't get enough power to actually charge the battery (as the player sucks up too much power when turns on). The LED light on the charger should go green when fully charged.

The newer charger works like you described, but the old charger is different. The old charging light simply goes off instead of turns green after fully charged. I like the newer one better, 'cause it's much obvious that the battery is charged when the charging light is green. With the old charger, it's not clear if the battery is charged in full, or the power adapter isn't connected properly at all. Happened to me a few times that the battery wasn't really charged 'cause I forgot to turn on the power source to the adapter.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,532 of 3,445
The newer charger works like you described, but the old charger is different. The old charging light simply goes off instead of turns green after fully charged. I like the newer one better, 'cause it's much obvious that the battery is charged when the charging light is green. With the old charger, it's not clear if the battery is charged in full, or the power adapter isn't connected properly at all. Happened to me a few times that the battery wasn't really charged 'cause I forgot to turn on the power source to the adapter.

Just a note:

Hifiman is actually just launched an exchange program in China a few days ago to exchange old HM901 battery and charger (pre-dated 2014) to the newer one with minimum fee.  I am not sure if they will expend it to international market or not. The newer battery and charger come from the same company that OEM for Apple, so they have better quality.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2,533 of 3,445
Just a note:

Hifiman is actually just launched an exchange program in China a few days ago to exchange old HM901 battery and charger (pre-dated 2014) to the newer one with minimum fee.  I am not sure if they will expend it to international market or not. The newer battery and charger come from the same company that OEM for Apple, so they have better quality.

And I just spent 70 bucks on the new one because the old one was broke!

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2,534 of 3,445
  Hi all,

I got a brand new HM901 today. But I have problems/questions about it.

Now I am charging it, when I try to turn it on, a battery comes to screen and after goes. Does it mean it charges? And when I disconnect the charge cable and turn it on, nothing happens. (I dont have an sd card inside)

How many hours did you charge the player to turn it on?

I hope it is not a faulty unit.

I have the earlier HM-901. When I'm charging, with one slide of the power switch I get the battery icon. If I slide it the 2nd time it comes on. When I'm not charging, I find that I need to slide & hold briefly, let it go, wait a little & it'll power on. At least for me, it's not a sub 1- second slide-release to power on. I've not considered this to be faulty but just normal operation (as it's consistent).

So for the folks with the newer charger & battery. In summary plus a few questions :-
- charging indicators now behave more intuitively
- battery operation lasts longer...how long?
- no change to the mutually exclusive charge-only or use-only recommendation?
- does it take faster to charge?
- does the battery run (& charge) cooler?

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,535 of 3,445

I have the earlier HM-901. When I'm charging, with one slide of the power switch I get the battery icon. If I slide it the 2nd time it comes on. When I'm not charging, I find that I need to slide & hold briefly, let it go, wait a little & it'll power on. At least for me, it's not a sub 1- second slide-release to power on. I've not considered this to be faulty but just normal operation (as it's consistent).

So for the folks with the newer charger & battery. In summary plus a few questions :-
- charging indicators now behave more intuitively
- battery operation lasts longer...how long?
- no change to the mutually exclusive charge-only or use-only recommendation?
- does it take faster to charge?
- does the battery run (& charge) cooler?

I find the new battery lasts longer, I can't say how much, I haven't paid attention but it does well. The charging system is easy and straight forward. The light goes out when done but I will charge and use as the same time and have never had a problem. The new charging system and battery run just about cool so no heat issues as in the past. 

Faster charge I am not sure as the adapter is a lower mA so I would think better managed for battery life and overall functionality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back