HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Feb 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,071 of 3,445
Jamato,

Would you be able to give me a quick summary of the HM801, 901, DX100 and CLAS (assuming you have heard them all, which I think you have)? I've grown tired of the Sabre sound and found that my DAC preferences are in the R2R architecture camp. With that in mind I was wondering if you found the HM801 competitive with the other units. It may be time for me to look beyond my DX100 and your input here would be valuable.

I have heard two of those so go get a real rundown of all four, someone else will have to pipe up. I have the DX100 and the HM901 and those are both Sabre dac daps, as you know. 

Besides the R2R, and it is all about implementation, what type of sound do you like? See, I enjoy detailed, transparent and not too warm. I don't like sterile but am a little more towards that than a warmer sound. I used to build my own tube equipment and everyone always reads about the warm tube sound but that is a fallacy. It depends upon implementation and as mentioned, I can't not stand overly warm mushy sound. I like as neutral as possible with a slight hint of warmth, as to my ear, live well done music has this, in the right venue and so on and so forth. 

So you have grown tired of the Sabre dac. Have you heard the 901? I think it is a little bit warmer sounding than the DX100 and still natural and real sounding, though it does have two of the Sabre dacs. The different amp boards also offer possibilities. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,072 of 3,445
Jamato, I think you are very few who still keeps both DX100 and HM901. can you let us know which DAP you like better and why?

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,073 of 3,445
  Jamato, I think you are very few who still keeps both DX100 and HM901. can you let us know which DAP you like better and why?

They are both good. The sound is different but top notch. It really boils down to your own preference. I am not trying to evade but these aren't entry level daps, they do the music right. 

I keep most everything. I also have the X5 now and letting it burn in. So another dual dac dap. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,074 of 3,445
I have heard two of those so go get a real rundown of all four, someone else will have to pipe up. I have the DX100 and the HM901 and those are both Sabre dac daps, as you know. 

Besides the R2R, and it is all about implementation, what type of sound do you like? See, I enjoy detailed, transparent and not too warm. I don't like sterile but am a little more towards that than a warmer sound. I used to build my own tube equipment and everyone always reads about the warm tube sound but that is a fallacy. It depends upon implementation and as mentioned, I can't not stand overly warm mushy sound. I like as neutral as possible with a slight hint of warmth, as to my ear, live well done music has this, in the right venue and so on and so forth. 

So you have grown tired of the Sabre dac. Have you heard the 901? I think it is a little bit warmer sounding than the DX100 and still natural and real sounding, though it does have two of the Sabre dacs. The different amp boards also offer possibilities. 

Thanks for the response, as expected it was informative. My preference is towards a little more mid-accentuated sound, with an emphasis on body and texture, rather than speed. I also have little tolerance to bumpy upper registers and find most Sabre implementations to have a treble glare, or rough ridges spattered upwards. The DX100 is not very smooth up top and a little thin in the middle. It was voiced to be fast and dynamic, which is impressive upon first glance, but eventually grows tiresome and can be lacking in euphony. A nice piece of tubed equipment, when done right, can be a wonderful thing. The ECBA for instance goes a long way in being warm, but not overly so. It has body and great decay without attempting to go 100 mph, nor does it strive to be the end-all in the clarity department, but still gives you a very transparent window into a recording. If you have heard any of the Audio GD reference series line (7, 7.1) or the Master 7 there lies my preference for a DAC signature. It's warm without mush, detailed without sterility and full of body without great reduction in speed. The Lampizator too manages to achieve this feat of being euphonic, without necessarily sacrificing neutrality. I've yet to hear a DAP that does this.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,076 of 3,445
haha, I was about to do the same. Since Mimouille's experiences with the SE5 and the iem card weren't that good I was about to spend extra cash on cable, battery, extra charger and balanced card.... 
Who knows, maybe I end up buying the balanced card one day. We definitely need more cards for the HM-901...
It is really subtle things but for me balanced card works better...might be different for someone else. I need to test with my NT6 before selling the iem card.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #2,077 of 3,445
It is really subtle things but for me balanced card works better...might be different for someone else. I need to test with my NT6 before selling the iem card.

Mike, are you intending to get a Fitear custom? Because I can tell you that the iem card sounds really good on a Fitear. If you are, you want to hear it on the iem card before making a decision. :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,078 of 3,445
  Try HM802 with the new classic card..

I agree with CHG: I am burning my 802 with the standard card. It is excellent - warm sig without the mids smear. Slight treble roll off but this is more than made up by its musicality. I have both the 901 and the 802 - all I will say is different sigs for different moods. :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,079 of 3,445
Mike, are you intending to get a Fitear custom? Because I can tell you that the iem card sounds really good on a Fitear. If you are, you want to hear it on the iem card before making a decision. :)
I will not sell it anytime soon...it is not like it is a major amount of money :) But it is possible that if I get a Hugo, the 901 will go away...

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #2,080 of 3,445
I will not sell it anytime soon...it is not like it is a major amount of money :) But it is possible that if I get a Hugo, the 901 will go away...

Ah... Let's see if you have an opportunity to try out a fitear custom on the iem card off the 901. :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,082 of 3,445
  I will receive my IEM card soon. Can't wait to listen to it with my SE5 and JH16. I thought I should give it a try because of the battery life. The IEM card sucks less battery power than the standard card.

You will enjoy the IEM card I think. It's not the same as using balance SE though which is also an improvement from the classic card.  

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,084 of 3,445
I could if I have time to go to Jaben...but they have only 335.

Ah... that's a pity. No chance of them bring in the demo for 435 or MH334?

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,085 of 3,445
  You will enjoy the IEM card I think. It's not the same as using balance SE though which is also an improvement from the classic card.  

Im enjoying it already. The standard card is veiled in some way, like somebody else mentioned it with the balanced card and the fitear monitors. Sq-wise the iem card improves in all aspects, tighter bass, no hiss of course and being ultra clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back