Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:
I sold ho Quote:
I agree that the ultimate decision for selecting audio equipment comes down to our ears. But while not having the last word, measurements seem to be a decent indicator of performance. Have you been severely mislead in the past by measurements?
[/quote
I use to sell hi end Linn and Naim . Measurements were never even discussed . So I ignore them completely , Peter Walker never used them. I also learnt to ignore any professional review

I wouldn't ignore them. It would be interesting to see how the measurements correlate to your preferences and subjective evaluation. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:
Hi all...i finally decided to buy it...because at this price is a very bargain in my opinion...if not i will sell it at the seem price...however i think that my p5 aren t very good for it...i would a close headphone because i will listen to the hifiman in travel...my budget is 200/300 euros...but if i can save money i m happy...any advices?

Good for you. I am lined up to send you some cash should you dislike it. 
wink.gif

Different people have different preferences, if you love it, then wonderful! Have fun with it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:
Hi...i finally get the hifiman ...it sounds very very well...it s incomparable with the ipod classic...my question is...should i buy other headphones to give justice to the hifiman??

You may want to consider an HD600, HD650, Paradox, HiFiMan HE-500, or HE-400 depending on priorities. The Sennheisers I mentioned are fairly high impedance, and the HiFiMan and Paradox offer an almost purely resistive impedance. All great headphones IMHO.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #53 of 57
Any headphones are going to sound great on the Hifiman HM-801. I have heard HD600, HD650, LCD2, Q701, in-ear Westones, Triple fi10, ie80, AT-M50... to name a few and they all sounded considerably better than with iphones...
Some headphones need a little EQ here and there (I don't like the Q701 sound signature in general but love it when EQed on Hifiman)
I also highly recommend the Hifiman's balanced card amp (regular non balanced headphones can be used with it and sound considerably better than with the factory amp)
The Hifiman HM-801 is a fantastic sounding music player, despite what many people (who most of the time have never hear one with their own ears) might say about roll off and other specs numbers. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:
Any headphones are going to sound great on the Hifiman HM-801. I have heard HD600, HD650, LCD2, Q701, in-ear Westones, Triple fi10, ie80, AT-M50... to name a few and they all sounded considerably better than with iphones...

Especially if you hate sound at around 5000Hz...

Some headphones need a little EQ here and there

I don't think that a 4.5db hole in the sonic signature is something that is fixed with "a little" EQ: you're having to selectively blow up part of sound spectrum - and not one near the ends of audibility either - by about 20 to prevent severe distortion! This means that you're blowing up noise and internal artifacting by that much too.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #55 of 57
Well, some of the best sounding amplifier and Dacs ever produced in terms of pure musical non fatiguing sound signatures are known as being exclusively tuned by human ear as opposed to curves and measurement produced by a computer.
 And regardless of the measurements of the HM801 (which was tuned in comparison to a DAC costing over $15 K...), I can say that the Hifiman with balanced amplifier module sounds breathless. 
It has an organic liquidity, non fatiguing sound signature, sound stage, imaging, dynamism... that no ipod (modded with an external amp or not) can come close to. 
It can drive virtually any cans that will sound very bad on an ipod... and it will drive affordable portable headphones such as the ATH-ESW9 with an extraordinary touch of magic.

No, it is not flat sounding, nor cold or analytical. It sounds big, bold, rich, and renders voices in an extraordinary luscious manner (there is no nasal, smearing, or unpleasant peak). 

It may not measure "well", it is tuned for human auditory pleasures by human ears with extensive knowledge of what sounds great based on much more expensive equipment that sounds even more fantastic.
What the HM801 achieved for such a relatively small device (in comparison to much more expensive/larger desktop/home system Dacs) is nothing short of stunning.

I know the HM901 is now available with supposedly better Dac chips and I have no doubt it also sounds superb but I know it cannot replace the HM801 as the sound will be a different presentation/signature and I love the HM801 too much to let it go.
On the other hand, I have let go of many ipod shuffles, nanos, and regular ipods.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:
Well, some of the best sounding amplifier and Dacs ever produced in terms of pure musical non fatiguing sound signatures are known as being exclusively tuned by human ear as opposed to curves and measurement produced by a computer.
 And regardless of the measurements of the HM801 (which was tuned in comparison to a DAC costing over $15 K...), I can say that the Hifiman with balanced amplifier module sounds breathless. 
It has an organic liquidity, non fatiguing sound signature, sound stage, imaging, dynamism... that no ipod (modded with an external amp or not) can come close to. 
It can drive virtually any cans that will sound very bad on an ipod... and it will drive affordable portable headphones such as the ATH-ESW9 with an extraordinary touch of magic.

No, it is not flat sounding, nor cold or analytical. It sounds big, bold, rich, and renders voices in an extraordinary luscious manner (there is no nasal, smearing, or unpleasant peak). 

It may not measure "well", it is tuned for human auditory pleasures by human ears with extensive knowledge of what sounds great based on much more expensive equipment that sounds even more fantastic.
What the HM801 achieved for such a relatively small device (in comparison to much more expensive/larger desktop/home system Dacs) is nothing short of stunning.

I know the HM901 is now available with supposedly better Dac chips and I have no doubt it also sounds superb but I know it cannot replace the HM801 as the sound will be a different presentation/signature and I love the HM801 too much to let it go.
On the other hand, I have let go of many ipod shuffles, nanos, and regular ipods.

Indeed, I had PLENTY of people at anythingbutiPod tell me the Hm 601 was trash... then I bought one and LISTENED TO IT, it sounded heavenly

so screw your graphs, Hifiman players sound GOOD TO MAH EARS xD 

I'm bout to grab one of these actually! I need a Dac and a Dap combo for at school listening 

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #57 of 57
Hello . Will listen 601 - 602 - 801. I can only say that each one plays exceptionally, but the most spacious 801 and a large amount of details. 602 better than 601 once the price did its job. My family below

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_183346.jpg
    IMG_20220214_183346.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220214_183127.jpg
    IMG_20220214_183127.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back