Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!
Nov 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Fracocci9203

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I need an help by the experts of audio sound. Hope I am in the right site. I have an ipod classic (160 gb) sixth generation and p5 Bowers & Wilkins headphones. To improve sound quality i have an occasion to buy an hifiman hm801 at half price. Is that a good chioce buy the hifiman, or the audio differences between ipod classic and hifiman are little compared to the prices? Sorry for my english but I'm italian. Thanks all

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 57
Welcome onboard. The HM 801 is a great player but it has his problems. UI is not to everybodies liking.

If you can get it cheap I would say: buy it and if you do not like it sell it on to some one else.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 57
Hi Fracocci9203 and welcome. The Apple iPod 6th Gen Classic and HiFiman HM-801 have virtually nothing in common. I once owned a 6th gen and didn't really get on with it. It was probably the worst mp3 player I have owned. Very competent with in ear buds but lacking considerably with normal over the ear headphones. I have never heard a HM-801 but they should sound wonderful with over the ear headphones. Storage is limited and the interface common to these type of players is poor. Battery life is short due to the power hungry electronics. So this will be the opposite of everything you are used to with the Classic.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 57
350 euros is a bargain so yes you should buy. What are you confused about ?

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 57
I'm confused because I'm not sure that this portable player will improove my sound quality...So 350 euros aren't little(sorry for the english)...so i'm not sure if hm 801 is really better than my ipod...what do you think about?

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 57
No don't buy it- they sound terrible !!!
but please get the seller to PM me
:wink:

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 57
Apple's iPod Classic 6th gen was criticised for its harsh elelctronic like sound quality. Its really a high capacity music video player as well as being a general storage device. It might also have another slightly sinister function. It is a mainstream player. HiFimans HM-801 is a purists music player. Sound quality should improve considerably. You might want to get some Sennheiser HD650 headphones to go with it. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing one of these. People say they have a slighly warm analogue sound which I wouldn't like prefering a cold neutral sound. Bass is also quite dark. This is a WAV/Flac player and compression is not recommended.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 57
Not ideal. These headphones are 'closed back' headphones. This blocks outside sounds but reduces the 'soundstage'. 'Open backed' headphones allow external sound to enter but give a more natural sound. For noisy environments eg. DJ/outside closed is better. For indoor Hi-Fi listening open is better. These headphones have Apple iphone/ipod facilities that would lessen the quality/euro slightly. They have also been optimised for Apple products. They look also to be fashion type of products. All in all not for high end players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back