HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
Jun 1, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #242 of 625
Good points everyone.

Something that may help with the "size thing" would be a full-display remote control about the size of a Sansa Clip. This way, the player could be controlled (music selection, volume change, etc.) while it is safely tucked away inside a hip pack/backpack/messenger bag.

Also, a custom leather case, with contol cutouts, would be a nice touch at this price.

Thoughts?

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #243 of 625
Quote:

Something that may help with the "size thing" would be a full-display remote control about the size of a Sansa Clip. This way, the player could be controlled (music selection, volume change, etc.) while it is safely tucked away inside a hip pack/backpack/messenger bag.

Also, a custom leather case, with contol cutouts, would be a nice touch at this price.

Thoughts?

No, I don't agree. These things just add to the cost. Much better to keep the price of the device as low as possible and offer a range of accessories as optional extras for those who want such things.

Personally, I never use the remote control on my iRiver H140 and I hate leather cases. They look ugly and cheap in my view and add bulk.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #244 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't agree. These things just add to the cost. Much better to keep the price of the device as low as possible and offer a range of accessories as optional extras for those who want such things.

Personally, I never use the remote control on my iRiver H140 and I hate leather cases. They look ugly and cheap in my view and add bulk.

Interesting.

The one thing that facilitated the H120/Microstack combo's portable use was the iRiver's remote. How much would that add to the cost - $40-50? Even if it was an additional-cost item, I think it would be a good option for those that plan to use the player "out-&-about".

Well-done cases protect valuable equipment while in use. Those old AM/FM radio's used to come with nice ones, with control & speaker cutouts. Something like that.

Still, your point is taken.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #245 of 625
Quote:

Much better to keep the price of the device as low as possible

Doesn't work that way. For example Pioneer TV's. No stand, no speakers. Each of them cost £150-£200. Compared to a Samsung both are included.

"Everything included in item" will be considerbly cheaper than "Buy them seperatly"

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #247 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(This review will conclude with Part Two of Two within the next day or so.)

Probably so, since it is soon to be 3 weeks...
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #248 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... any impressions from CanJam on how the HiFiMAN sounds?

There is one in the CanJam 09 thread under the meet section. But it only talked about the DAC application and mentioned the mid of the HiFiMan is to die for. Didn't mention anything about the amp.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #249 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably so, since it is soon to be 3 weeks...
tongue_smile.gif

Just wish that after the CanJam 09 Jude will have more time to finish the part II
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #250 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one in the CanJam 09 thread under the meet section. But it only talked about the DAC application and mentioned the mid of the HiFiMan is to die for. Didn't mention anything about the amp.

I agree with this assement.

The mids on the DAC section was briliant. Compared to the Meridian CD player which was the competition, the Hifiman lost out in the extreme frequency spectrums..but outshone the Meridian in the mids clearly.

For 6xx$ this is a fantastic product. Long overdue and Fang has done a fantastic job on it. The fact that he has a custom battery made for it is simply cool in itself. ANd the DAC chips along total upto 100$ odd bucks..All considering this is a serious product for the person who is mobile a large percentage of the time.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #251 of 625
Quote:

Well-done cases protect valuable equipment while in use.

I would rather see the total cost of such cases being invested in a hard anodised finish instead. If Deal Extreme low cost flashlights can have this then why not high end DAPs?

Also scratch resistance screen are available now, gorilla glass or something it is called.

Quote:

Doesn't work that way. For example Pioneer TV's. No stand, no speakers. Each of them cost £150-£200. Compared to a Samsung both are included.

"Everything included in item" will be considerbly cheaper than "Buy them seperatly"

That may well be so but I don't want the stand and speakers so why should I pay for them. I don't care if the cost is less that way because I simply don't want them at all, at any price.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #252 of 625
Tru dat! I myself, have a plethora of remotes and cases sitting in their original boxes or my overstuffed closet.

Perhaps dual purchase options at different price points would be a happy medium.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #253 of 625
Quote:

Tru dat! I myself, have a plethora of remotes and cases sitting in their original boxes or my overstuffed closet.

Perhaps dual purchase options at different price points would be a happy medium.

Agreed. I, too, have boxfulls of stuff I don’t want and can’t bring myself to throw away. All of which has been paid for, usually indirectly by being part of the price.

I am at one with Nankai's purist, minimalist ethic. What is important is the quality of the device and not the assortment of fripperies that tumble out of the box.

At the very least, I expect this to be as good as my iRiver H140/iBasso D10 combo.

Nankai’s reputation around here is as good as it gets so I doubt that I shall be disappointed.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #254 of 625
Congratulations! I find this a great concept.
I am just really curious how well the amp section performs on the PK1 for instance.
It would be great if Justin or Ray would make drop-in amp modules for this DAP in the future.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #255 of 625
I would actually be really interested in an in-line remote control, my iAudio X5 had one and it was great, a little screen so I could flip around tracks without taking the player out of my backpack.

I'm surprised more players don't have one, but I guess it has something to do with the iPod shuffle being smaller than the entire X5 remote!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back