HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
Jul 16, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #346 of 625
As we wish the best for Jude's family, and wait for the second part of the review, would any knowledgeable and well informed Head-fier like to speculate about the sound quality based on the tech-spec of HM801? [though I understand that the best specs don't necessarily produce the best SQ, even if the latter is subjective ]

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #347 of 625
Plenty of people heard it at CanJam. But it wasn't the final product and it's not out yet. I could just make up stuff like, I kills puppies and hamsters with it's awesome sound. Keep it at least 5 feet away from babies as they will go mad and try to kill you in your sleep.

-Ed

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #349 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's nothing. I hear a symmetrical triangle of these pumping eac-flac around a roaring wildfire will transform inferno to a birdsong lauded mirror lake by dawn.

Not exactly your average mp3 player.

Patrick, is that you?

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #351 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... I don't know a Patrick. What's he been telling you about the HM-801?

Nothing yet. It's just the imagery in your post that reminded me of stuff Patrick82 would say, except that your post made more sense.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #352 of 625
I thought it made sense when I heard about it. Who's to say it couldn't happen anyway; if these players would just bloody well show up soon.

Surely there's already a lake like that somewhere in the Rockies? As a kid, nature and stuff had nothing on toys but now it will take something like a healthy HM-801 hype.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #354 of 625
i wish they made a relatively CHEAP mp3 player with optical/usb out for us to use our pico's and ibassos as DACs. Screw this expensive idea.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #357 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ebay seller has a 97.8% positive feedback, I wonder why they would pull this?
confused_face(1).gif

...although, the last feedback left was a negative with "avoid" in the verbiage.

97.8% isn't a good score. I'd be checking the negs with toolhaus to see what the malfunction is.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #358 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iRiver H1x0.
wink.gif

I know, but I mean *modern* player -slimer, lighter etc...

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #360 of 625
I'm hearing alot of people thinking this is an expensive product. It is I guess if you are used to just carrying around a DAP and a pair of iems. Thats how I started. Then, I had to have a nice P-51 Mustang. To improve further I needed an iMod because of the ipod's shortcomings. Then, to eek out all the goodness possible I had to add ALO's P-Vcap. Of course this has to all be tied together with ALO's finest wire offerings. The result is an amazing sounding but bulky (on the verge of not being portable) package. Price for all this stuff minus headphones? $1,400-$1,500 clams. Not only that but now i have an ALO SXC Cryo for the iMod that I have no need for. ($195.00) If this device coming out can match the sound of my setup for $600.00 and only be a fraction of its weight and size I think I've found a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back