HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Oct 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #391 of 480

Quote:
I've noticed that mine has a clicking sound when powering up, and when jumping when a track is playing to a new track, but not when playing one track consecutively after another. I just turn it way down when switching tracks, and I turn it on before plugging my headphones in.

The click sound between consecutive files happens only with wav files, not with flac and mp3.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #392 of 480
I'm sorry ifthis has been mentioned before but I notice the recharge light still blinks even if it splugged into the wall and no battery is installed.  That is a microbug if you ask me.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #393 of 480
Well, maybe I've solved the loud click between wav tracks phenomenon ... !

If tested with various versions of wav files with and without ID3 tag data.

Result:

wav files without any ID3 data (without any tag data at all) had no clicking noise (or almost inaudible which is currently "normal" according to support).

wav files with a whole lot of ID3 tag data like my first ones have a very loud click/crack noise at the end, intensity depending on the tag data ...

So to me it seems the part of the firmware streaming the wav files sound data to the DAC also streams the tag data in the file or at least stops to late reading or whatever ... which results in this ugly loud click/crack.

I posted these findings to support. Let's see what they think.

P.S. Just found this: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t43135.html

"... Breaks the standard of wav, wav is a container format and those id tags are written after the container. The Ironic thing is - by adding just 8 bytes before the id tag (I am assuming it is id3 at the end) they could be added into the container with a unique riff chunk, MusicMatch I think also are guilty of this. ..."

Well, I think that pretty confirms my assumption ...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #394 of 480

Quote:
Well, maybe I've solved the loud click between wav tracks phenomenon ... !

If tested with various versions of wav files with and without ID3 tag data.

Result:

wav files without any ID3 data (without any tag data at all) had no clicking noise (or almost inaudible which is currently "normal" according to support).

wav files with a whole lot of ID3 tag data like my first ones have a very loud click/crack noise at the end, intensity depending on the tag data ...

So to me it seems the part of the firmware streaming the wav files sound data to the DAC also streams the tag data in the file or at least stops to late reading or whatever ... which results in this ugly loud click/crack.

I posted these findings to support. Let's see what they think.

P.S. Just found this: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t43135.html

"... Breaks the standard of wav, wav is a container format and those id tags are written after the container. The Ironic thing is - by adding just 8 bytes before the id tag (I am assuming it is id3 at the end) they could be added into the container with a unique riff chunk, MusicMatch I think also are guilty of this. ..."

Well, I think that pretty confirms my assumption ...
rolleyes.gif

I got to ask why the explicitive are you tagging WAV files?  That is just wrong wrong wrong in every way.  My advice is to go to FLAC or some lossless codec and be done with it.

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #395 of 480

Quote:
I got to ask why the explicitive are you tagging WAV files?  That is just wrong wrong wrong in every way.  My advice is to go to FLAC or some lossless codec and be done with it.

I did the tagging not intentionally ... unfortunately was just the default in dbpoweramp. Well, I use wav, because I'm [size=11pt]superstitious  [/size]:wink: I like it uncompressed.
By the way WMP has no problems playing the files, but that should be in no way decisive ...[size=11pt] [/size]

P.S. Support also thinks I'm right. Glad now not have to send back the unit ...

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #396 of 480

Quote:
Anyone know of a program that will join Flac files into one big flac file and also make a cue file (or files) of that one big flac file.

Example
Lets say I have the goldberg variations and I want them to play gapless, so I make one big flac file, but then I want to hear Goldberg Variations, variation 8 a 2 Clav. So I go to my cue list and pick that variation.

Any software that can do that?

Don't know if this was already positively answered.
At Least I found nothing via search.

On my windows machine I just used foobar2000 and the flac executable delivered with EAC.

Works like a charm :)

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #398 of 480
I forgot to mention that in my special case I needed to join 44,1/24 flacs.
Cuetools seems to support only 44,1/16 source material.
Cue-lists are not my first priority and
I still hope Hifiman will be able to play at least the naturally gapless formats gapless soon
k701smile.gif

which would enable the use of single files.

Another question:
I'm currently playing a 44,1/24 flac but the Hifiman display shows "16Bit" only.
Is this a firmware bug ? Is it only showing the wrong value or also playing only 16 bit?
I assume that the file information in Foobar2000 is correct ... how can I check the file is really 24 bit ?

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #400 of 480
Mine displayed 24bit files as 16bit as well, but they should be really 24bits, as they can't be played on my sansa clip+.

Perhaps it is about time for firmware 0.20 to appear soon?

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
I forgot to mention that in my special case I needed to join 44,1/24 flacs.
Cuetools seems to support only 44,1/16 source material.
Cue-lists are not my first priority and
I still hope Hifiman will be able to play at least the naturally gapless formats gapless soon
k701smile.gif

which would enable the use of single files.

Another question:
I'm currently playing a 44,1/24 flac but the Hifiman display shows "16Bit" only.
Is this a firmware bug ? Is it only showing the wrong value or also playing only 16 bit?
I assume that the file information in Foobar2000 is correct ... how can I check the file is really 24 bit ?

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #401 of 480

Quote:
Mine displayed 24bit files as 16bit as well, but they should be really 24bits, as they can't be played on my sansa clip+.

Perhaps it is about time for firmware 0.20 to appear soon?

That would be really good (... gapless playback
k701smile.gif
maybe included too ...), and perhaps also 24/88 Flac files can be played then, 24/44 and 24/96 works fine though already.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #403 of 480

Quote:
Not going to happen due to a limitation of the hardware - aka, it's not software related.

You sure? What kind of hardware limitation should that be?

I thought it's the software (firmware) which read the data from the card and send it to the hardware. And if the data stream is continous, there should be no hardware problem ...?!

And lossless formats are inherently gapless, you just have to play them that way, exactly one after the other as if it were one big file.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #404 of 480
If you want to play gapless, you will need to rip your entire album as one file (i.e. in Flac format). 

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #405 of 480

Quote:
If you want to play gapless, you will need to rip your entire album as one file (i.e. in Flac format). 

No, normally you don't need that.
Windows Media Player for example (... which is just some software ...) plays consecutive single WAV tracks of an album gapless.
If you relate to the HM 801 you are right for the moment and actually as a workaround I'm joining my ripped WAV files to one big file for gapless playback of an album.
But that's only possible with lossless formats. With lossy formats like MP3 special software (or firmware) only can realize gapless playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back