HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #256 of 480

These are the v 0.19 issues as I see them:

1. Autoplay on startup

Currently goes to Main Menu in pause mode, pressing top play button does not work, have to use front back/left button and then press play. 

In v 0.12 it autoplays on startup, this is my preference. This option allows me to operate the 801 without touching or looking at the screen, especially useful when using through clothing

Solution could be to have a menu setting to Autoplay on startup - yes/no. If yes then autoplay as in v 0.12, if no then pause at the Music screen and not the Main Menu

2. When playing a track or group of tracks in a folder, pressing the back/left button goes to the top of the folder. It would be good if the position in the folder was the last track played

3. I'd like to see a small redesign of the Main MUSIC screen:

Line 1 - MUSIC should read Music and moved over 1 space to the left

Line 2 - Trim the leading zeros from nnnn/nnnn. Display the sample rate as well as the sample size

Lines 3 to 7 - In my opinion there should just be 3 lines of simple info here, Track, Artist, Album. The 'SD Card' / 'Flash on Board' is not needed and the next 2 track lines are the same and the .ext could be displayed elsewhere

4. Folders/Tracks should be sorted alphabetically

5 Apple Mac hidden files are displayed, would be good if these were hidden

6. When playing a track, pressing forward/backward to the next/previous track is pretty slow

7. Top 801 buttons should act as a transport and not control the menus

8. When playing normal 16/44 FLAC and pressing the back button to go back to the start the track can get in a small loop (thought this had been fixed?)

9. VBR tracks display as 0

10. v2.n mp3's do not display id3 artist/album info - have to convert to v1

11. Album should read Albums

12. EQ Setting does not allow left/back button

13. On exit from User EQ, the User EQ is now in effect but the EQ Setting does not change to User

14. Haven't been able to get a CUE list to work

15. I've tried a few 88/24 tracks, only 1 worked - Neptune by Doc & Lena Selyanina

16. 801 can be very slow with hires files (this may have been fixed?)

17. When browsing through tracks it would be useful to show the artist name next to the track name

18. When browsing through albums via the Main Menu Album it would be good to show the artist name next to the album

19. Main Menu Artists - would be good to show the albums for the artist and an additional Option as All Tracks for Artist(same as ipod classic)

20. Navigating through tracks can sometimes cause a random track to be played

21. New Autechre Oversteps album is 24 bit but displays as 16 bit

22. Is random play truly random?

23. SD Card/Flash - tracks are indented 1 space, going back then causes the folders to also be indented

Edit: just found this one

24. If you are playing a track from the Tracks Menu, then switch off/on and then continue playing the track, the next track is now not from the Tracks menu but from the track's folder

Let me know if you have any other issues or disagree with any of the above

For future development I'd like to see Playlist support which could replace My Favorite. What else? maybe Apple Lossless support. Having playlists, ALAC and gapless might persuade a few ipod owners to get the 801

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #257 of 480

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I noticed the internal player does not recognize or play 24bit 88.2KHz files. HDtracks sells them, so be careful. Not all their high res content is 24/96.

Could you please provide the download link of these tracks? I have tested some 24bit 88.2khz files and the player does support them.

Just got the 801 last week and i have one file of 24/88.2 and it freezes when i try to play it. 

Also, how do you get the upgrade to v0.19 since my brand new 801 is version 0.15 ??  I downloaded the firmware(version 19) and decompressed it but how do you get it onto the flashonboard?  When I try to do extract to specific folder, flashonboard is not an option but some of the other menu items are.  

I can't find another option to copy the file onto the dap except thru the extract to location and i can't figure out how to even get to that place in the dap from the computer to drag it too.  I either get the memory card or a blank screen that says removable disk (I:) with nothing listed. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #258 of 480

Quote:
Just got the 801 last week and i have one file of 24/88.2 and it freezes when i try to play it. 

Also, how do you get the upgrade to v0.19 since my brand new 801 is version 0.15 ??  I downloaded the firmware(version 19) and decompressed it but how do you get it onto the flashonboard?  When I try to do extract to folder, flashonboard is not an option but some of the other menu items are.

Remove your SD card from the 801 and then hook it up to your computer. You should now be able to see the 801 on your computer as an external device. This external device is the 801 Flash On Board, simply move/copy the v 0.19 firmware to here and then disconnect the 801. Now either remove the battery or reset the 801. Switch it back on and you should get a firmware updating message

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #259 of 480
Thank you, I got a pm too from Super-fi.  It is updating now, thanks for your help.  Really read most of the thread to try to get where to drag file, didn't know just to drag it into the blank.  Cool deal.

So was it ever determined about 88.2/24 files.  I have read that it works with them and then I have read that the dac doesn't support.  It didn't work before with the concert cd i downloaded from HDtracks, does it work with the upgraded software?

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #260 of 480
Dallan,
As far as I am lead to believe, 88kkhz is still not supported by the HM-801.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #261 of 480
Okay, it's funny because 44khz work.  I noticed earlier in the thread there were mixed results with 88 but mine freezes, or it did with v0.15   Thanks immtbiker.  Bummer is that my converter doesn't support it on my home system until they come out with the upgrade so my only way to listen to them is optical out of my mac.  That'll teach me!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #262 of 480
Can't you just use a convertor and bump it up to 96? Others have had success with trying that, dallan.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #264 of 480

Quote:
Can't you just use a convertor and bump it up to 96? Others have had success with trying that, dallan.

I think that is a bad idear, opsampling never sounds quite right (although I have only tied from 44.1 to 48 kHz). One thing you could do is downsample to 44.1 kHz, but that kind of ruins the point of having a player capable of high-res playback.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #265 of 480

Re: ade_hall issue list

this is a nice compilation and hopefully leads to better firmware for all...thanks!

7.  top buttons do act as transport when in the now playing screen

14. cue works fine for me and provides a nice gapless solution.  I am taking merged flacs in foobar and copying the cue sheet from the edit cue sheet window, pasting to a file with the same name and this works for me (also I am removing the embedded cue sheet not sure if it matters)

21.  'Oversteps' displays as 24 bit on mine...just encoded the original wav as flac with flac frontend and never had this issue you are reporting, not sure why this wouldn't be the same for you and I.

I really wish the 88kHz stuff I bought from HDTracks would play some day, although I do think upsampling to 96kHz with r8brain sounded okay

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #266 of 480
I think the Top buttons should work from anywhere and not just the now playing

Are CUE's only for single track FLAC? I'll keep trying

Just looked again at 'Oversteps' - not sure what's going on - 2 of the tracks display as 24 bit, the rest as 16 bit but on my Mac they all display as 24 bit. Maybe it's the conversion pgm I used, I'll try converting again

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #268 of 480
My Hifiman 801 will not play WMA lossless files, which is the format I have been using to rip CDs to my computer.  Is this an unsupported format?  They show up in the SD Card directory.  WAV and MP3 files work fine.   

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #270 of 480
WMA 8-355kbps are supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back