HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
May 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #211 of 480
I have 0.17 beta installed, and I tried loading an itunes album onto the onboard flash; however, when I open the album in the menu, there are no songs to select. Is this normal? What can I do?

May 13, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #212 of 480
Hi runnerofnight - most probably you already verified this but are the album files in a supported audio format ? 

( from the HM-801 preorder thread listing tech specs )

Music Format Support

APE Fast、Normal、High Mode
AAC 16K-320Kbps
FLAC lossless VBR 44.1kHz and 24bit 96KHz
WMA 8-355kbps
OGG Quality 0-Quality 10
WAV PCM,MS-ADPCM,IMA-ADPCM
MP3(VBR) 8-320Kbps

Check the filenames - they should all end in either .ape .aac .flac .wma .ogg .wav or .mp3  . 

If everything seems ok, try copying the files off your HM-801's onboard flash to your computer and try listening to them. Do they play at all ?

I'm also running 0.17 beta. Just tried copying files to the onboard flash. Everything is listed / plays fine.

May 16, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #215 of 480
What will 0.18 have?
smile.gif

May 18, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #217 of 480
Hi,

i have problem with Hifiman about battery. When i turn on player, then listen to some music, then pause music and turn off player, my battery exhaust...it seems that when i turn off player, player continue with exhaust. Make i something wrong?Sometimes i have this problem sometimes not...its strange.

thanks

May 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #218 of 480

Quote:
0.18: Menu problem fixed, which means you do not have to go back to manu from playing manu again. You can go back to the track list after you press upper-left. This will be the most important debug.

I've been trying the 0.18 beta.  The Menu fix is a big improvement.  It is now possible to go back and forward one step at a time through folder structures while music is playing.  Makes it much easier to browse for songs.

One more feature I'd suggest adding is having an option to allow the player to remember the last song played when shutting off and when turned back, it defaults to "Now Playing" with that same song and position in that track.  BUT, for hearing safety reasons, have it on "Pause".

Just another suggestion, but I'd rather have Gapless added for the next firmware fix.

-Ed

May 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #219 of 480
The Player must remember what it was playing last after turning on/off.
I find myself listening more and more to ipod for ease of use ...

The battery drain, as someone else mentioned, is another issue - it seems to be eating a lot of battery during the on/off process.

Keep up the good work ...

Cheers

May 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #220 of 480

Quote:
I've been trying the 0.18 beta.  The Menu fix is a big improvement.  It is now possible to go back and forward one step at a time through folder structures while music is playing.  Makes it much easier to browse for songs.

Was wondering how the menu fix worked; Edwood, thank you for the feedback. Can't help but feel a bit envious regarding your early access to the beta - guess it will officially be released during the coming week or so. Must ... be ... patient ! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
The battery drain, as someone else mentioned, is another issue - it seems to be eating a lot of battery during the on/off process.

Don't think I've experienced this with my unit; maybe having a numeric battery indicator would help pinpointing this type of problems.

Also, one other thing regarding battery consumption : Fang, does the display allow some sort of a reduced brightness setting ? Maybe this
would help with preserving battery life a bit. I've already set the LCD timer to 6 seconds, btw.

May 21, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #221 of 480
Regarding battery life: my feeling is also that a lot start-ups and shut-downs reduces it a lot. But what's worse, even browsing the menu is draining the battery a lot!
At last: l left hifimam to play FLAC files non-stop (no browsing) and the fully charged battery died just after 4 hours. Is it normal? I'm using firmware v.14

Edit: thinking about it, it may be hardware, not software problem. If I only knew..

May 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #222 of 480
I have very similar experience with low battery life ...
I am just waiting for the firmware to do basic stuff ...

Quote:
Regarding battery life: my feeling is also that a lot start-ups and shut-downs reduces it a lot. But what's worse, even browsing the menu is draining the battery a lot!
At last: l left hifimam to play FLAC files non-stop (no browsing) and the fully charged battery died just after 4 hours. Is it normal? I'm using firmware v.14

Edit: thinking about it, it may be hardware, not software problem. If I only knew..

May 22, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #224 of 480

Quote:

Also, one other thing regarding battery consumption : Fang, does the display allow some sort of a reduced brightness setting ? Maybe this
would help with preserving battery life a bit. I've already set the LCD timer to 6 seconds, btw.

Reduced brightness setting is very harmful to sound.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 22, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #225 of 480

Quote:
Did you turn off LCD screen when you were playing music?

Yes, I did. LCD timer is at 10 sec. Files played were FLAC 5, 16bit/44.1khz.

More I think about it must be weak battery, not SW. But there are inconsistencies: for example when fully charged, the battery will drop from 4 to 3 bars just after 30-40 min, but from there it goes more evenly. Totally, battery life is just few hours (albums played). As mentioned above, when played continuously, it was something over 4 hours.

I had a similar experience with older firmware, thus this problem probably should not be posted in this tread. Anyway, I'll be happy for any kind of advice.

Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back