HiFiMan HM-101 noise
Dec 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Xinerama

New Head-Fier
I had just got my HiFiMan 101 and was really stoked about using it.
First let me say that none of this is experience in my wife's laptop nor with my onboard headphone jack.
I first noticed that when my headphones are plugged into the headphone jack (which is a lot louder than the output jack) there was these clicking and scratching noises.
I searched on Google and found some people with similar problems with other amps. One guy on youtube mentioned getting a Clean Box or something. Another commenter stated configuring the BIOS or updating it. There were a slew of things that could be done but none seemed practical or easy.

What I've done:
I noticed a slight drop in noise when I turned off my wireless radios (wifi & bluetooth).
Also holding the amp or moving it slightly further away from the computer made it quieter.

My ideas:
I think if I get an SSD it will help reduce the noise. 
Send the HiFiMan back and get another kind of amp. Although I REALLY like the HiFiMan's small footprint.  If I do this, which I kinda want to do you think my chances of success in noise reduction will be greater. Portable amp recommendations anyone?
Try connecting the HiFiMan through my firewire port using a firewire to USB cable.

Thanks

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Alright I've figured out that I need a USB isolator. Now I just have to figure out which one. I'm looking at something from this shop in Denmark because their equipment doesn't require an external power source.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 14
The HM-101 has a severe problem with RF noise from wireless phones and edge cell phones. The first version was near unuseable within 7-9' of such a source. A second version improved on this and HeadDirect are still working on ways of improving this. Try wrapping it in tin foil. It's a great shame because otherwise this device is great for it's price

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 14
I have no idea but it cost about as much as the HM-101

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 14
I tried the USB isolator from Demark the http://electronics-shop.dk/isolated_usb_hub.htm?currency=EUR and it didn't seem to help the issue. It's definitely some onboard equipment (fans, hdd...) and the WIFI. 
Is there a USB DAC out there of a comparable size, albeit more expensive, that I can substitute?
BTW I'm going to order the https://www.aimagin.com/amg-usb-isolator.html
I hope it works out.

Anyway, there was this guy who claimed to wrap his whole soundboard in aluminun foil I was like "WHAT!!!". I wish I could do that. Anyway, just curious if other (notebook holders) have tried similar?

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Any news on noise on HM-101 ?
I have send Hifiman question if there is something they can do with it. 
Mine HM-101 is noisy when not playing music/movies on Beyerdynamic D880 Pro and Koss Porta Pro from Macbook Pro source (I use iTunes with BitPerfect addon and Audirvana Free both set up to 16/48).
When box is near my macbook pro, I get loud noise, the less close macbook it is the sound gets quieter. I use shielded USB cables. I have SSD in my laptop. This shouldnt happen. :frowning2:
Maybe there is a away to stick RF shield inside on those black plastic sides of the case ?

P.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 14
I have no idea. I returned mine. I've been thinking of buying the D-Zero by Ibasso (I think) but haven't had the cash as of late. There is an isolator out there that I was looking at. https://www.aimagin.com/amg-usb-isolator.html
I haven't had the money for that either. But I can say for a fact that I've tested the less expensive usb isolator, from Denmark, and it did not help reduce the noise.
Good luck.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 14
I use the HM-101 daily as my DAC/Amp with my netbook when I'm on breaks at school. I don't think there is a permanent solution for getting rid of the noise but I personally use a 100 ohm impedance adapter which doesn't eliminate the noise completely but cuts down on it rather significantly to the point that it's not bothersome and I only notice it when I'm not actually listening to any music.

Using other high impedance headphones/IEMs should help cut down on the noise as well.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 14
I guess I will return device. It is impossible to enjoy listening music with all that noise. Maybe HRT headstreamer?
I have exchange the unit with another one. It is A LOT better, however HifiMan should inform people that this device ix EXTREMELY sensitive to GSM/RF noise. :frowning2:

May 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 14
Min  e has noise too.  It's not just the hiss, it's also scratchy noise like a mouse crewing on the cable sound.  I that this is a common issue and design flaw with this model.  Every user has this issue.  I can deal with the hiss, but not the scratchy noise through the audio stream.  HiFiMan needs to fix this before selling this model.  

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Same here on the noise issues. I've found that plugging my Westone 3's into the the line out cuts down on the noise significantly and since my IEMs don't really need an amp, this makes the unit usable to me and definitely a big improvement over the headphone jack on my macbook pro.

It's a shame though as you'd think they would of quality controlled this being hifiman and all. this could be a real Fiio killer if done properly.

I'm still considering and ODAC or a Dragonfly though for my work rig...

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Been using the HM-101 today at work and while it's no bitstream/lyr, it's definitely working for me as an 'at the office' rig. I had the audio engine d1 for a while and that was ok but i would say this has a bit more mojo to it. I'm using the lineout jack and a much thicker usb cable so the noise while not entirely gone is pretty negligible. Plus considering I got this for like $30 on amazon Compared to $200 - $300 for odac/dragon fly. I'm pretty stoked.

but knowing me I'll probably eventually go with an odac... ; )

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 14
A computer is basically an RF noise generator. Virtually every bit of circuitry in a computer broadcasts noise. It's up to the other equipment to avoid picking it up. An SSD might actually make it worse, because it is electronic rather than partly mechanical, and so actually may make more electronically generated noise (it depends on whether the SSD itself has a metal shell). A fancy laptop with an all-metal case might radiate somewhat less noise, but even a metal case is only going to reduce it by about half. Your best bet is either lots of tinfoil, or try and keep the headphone amp as far from the computer as possible. Some equipment is just a lot more sensitive than other. Once you eliminate most of the radiated noise, THEN the USB isolator should help eliminate the last little bit coming in on the power line.

Quote:
Any news on noise on HM-101 ?
I have send Hifiman question if there is something they can do with it. 
Mine HM-101 is noisy when not playing music/movies on Beyerdynamic D880 Pro and Koss Porta Pro from Macbook Pro source (I use iTunes with BitPerfect addon and Audirvana Free both set up to 16/48).
When box is near my macbook pro, I get loud noise, the less close macbook it is the sound gets quieter. I use shielded USB cables. I have SSD in my laptop. This shouldnt happen. :frowning2:
Maybe there is a away to stick RF shield inside on those black plastic sides of the case ?

P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back