HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Jul 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #646 of 673

beerchug.gif

Cheers!

Btw, is your 5LE rubber coat become sticky?

Yes it has... I thought it was only mine... now it seems to be a general issue? it's not intolerable but I have to clean the dust that stick on them once a while. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #647 of 673
  Yes it has... I thought it was only mine... now it seems to be a general issue? it's not intolerable but I have to clean the dust that stick on them once a while. 

Mine has became sticky since last year. My friend also has a 5LE v1, he managed to remove the rubber coating with some kind of oil. Now his 5LE is just shiny plastic.
I will try with mine when I have time, and update you with the result.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #648 of 673

There's a rubber coating? I thought HE5LEs are varnished plastic?

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #649 of 673

Mine has became sticky since last year. My friend also has a 5LE v1, he managed to remove the rubber coating with some kind of oil. Now his 5LE is just shiny plastic.
I will try with mine when I have time, and update you with the result.

Thanks! This should definitely help a lot of us. 

Yes I guess the correct name is varnished plastic. The housing material just gets slightly sticky over time. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #650 of 673

Thanks! This should definitely help a lot of us. 

Yes I guess the correct name is varnished plastic. The housing material just gets slightly sticky over time. 

Thanks! I didn't know the right name for it :wink:

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #651 of 673
The rev. 2 is shiny plastic?

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #652 of 673
I believe so... There seem to be difference in the pads too. My rev 1 pads have clear plastic insert flanks and different velour material than later pads. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #654 of 673

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #657 of 673
Might try orange oil

Yes that's right.  Orange oil will do.
My friend used Pledge Wood Polish which contains orange oil. I tried my wife Strawberry oil from Body Shop, it works as well. WD40 also works, but I don't want my HE5-LE smells WD40.

Looks like any non-toxic, organic oil, can be used. Since the smell of the oil will stay on the HE5-LE for quite a long period, less smelly oil, or oil with pleasant scent is recommended.

The process is like scraping the sticky coating from the HE5-LE housing. Like removing stubborn sticker glue.  Tissue cannot be used, it needs something stronger, a small towel is recommended.
It is better for the driver to be removed from the headband for easier handling.

It took me more than an hour to clean both both drivers.  But it is rewarding to see my old, sticky, and dirty HE5-LE, reborn. It is now clean and shinny, and smells good 
normal_smile .gif

The cleaned surface and the sticky varnish coating.

Left surface is the cleaned surface.

After cleaning.

Before and after.

My reborn HE5-LE 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #658 of 673
Thanks earfonia for such a helpful post! 
I will definitely try this out when I get back to the new house. 
The reborn look is charming! 

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #659 of 673
  Thanks earfonia for such a helpful post! 
I will definitely try this out when I get back to the new house. 
The reborn look is charming! 

You're most welcome!

I've tried some of the newer Hifiman planars, so far for me, the older HE5-LE and HE6 are still the some of the best, and my favorite among the Hifiman planars. Unfortunately Hifiman discontinued HE5-LE. Even compared to my HD800 and T1, HE5-LE is not inferior at all. It has some nice musical qualities I don't hear from HD800 and T1. Especially when driven in balanced, simply one of the best in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back