HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #361 of 673
That doesn't matter, why does everyone seem to think that just because something isn't in production that it's inferior, like seriously What? He-4 has great reviews and I believe it would beat the he-400 at its price range.

Am with u also in this..new is not always nessesary better!!! Sometimes its the other way around... I still cant believe why they killed the he5 (except for the woodcracking issues).. Knowing now how they can sound with some nifty modding and two right hands and probably golden ears to hear what u do i cant believe they killed it so fast. :xf_eek:

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #362 of 673
Am with u also in this..new is not always nessesary better!!! Sometimes its the other way around... I still cant believe why they killed the he5 (except for the woodcracking issues).. Knowing now how they can sound with some nifty modding and two right hands and probably golden ears to hear what u do i cant believe they killed it so fast.
redface.gif

The HE-5 had terrible treble issues. From what I've read, it would make the HE-400 sound tame... luckily, Luis has modded yours to sound phenomenal. IMO, your headphone isn't an HE-5 at all. Yes, it was built from an HE-5, but it doesn't look or sound anything like one, haha. Granted, I've never listened to an HE-5 OR the Code-X but I've seen the measurements and I think it's safe to say that you're working with a completely different headphone. Plus, from what I've read, Luis pretty much rebuilt the headphone, it's not a simple mod.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents as to why the HE-5 went bye-bye (along with wood cracking issues). The HE-400, HE-500, and HE-4 are now discontinued (apparently) due to the new upcoming cans. I can't confirm the HE-500 but I did see the HFM rep specifically state that the HE-4 and HE-400 are no longer being produced.

With my HD580, HE-4, and incoming D2000, I am turning into some sort of collector of great discontinued headphones
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #363 of 673
  The HE-5 had terrible treble issues. From what I've read, it would make the HE-400 sound tame... luckily, Luis has modded yours to sound phenomenal. IMO, your headphone isn't an HE-5 at all. Yes, it was built from an HE-5, but it doesn't look or sound anything like one, haha. Granted, I've never listened to an HE-5 OR the Code-X but I've seen the measurements and I think it's safe to say that you're working with a completely different headphone. Plus, from what I've read, Luis pretty much rebuilt the headphone, it's not a simple mod.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents as to why the HE-5 went bye-bye (along with wood cracking issues). The HE-400, HE-500, and HE-4 are now discontinued (apparently) due to the new upcoming cans. I can't confirm the HE-500 but I did see the HFM rep specifically state that the HE-4 and HE-400 are no longer being produced.

With my HD580, HE-4, and incoming D2000, I am turning into some sort of collector of great discontinued headphones
biggrin.gif

ur right... this code-x is a totally different beast then the phone it is based on....in soundsignature and looks and moneywise..especially mine..being the only black edition he made from the original NOS batch of twelve he-5's as far i know off (or was it the black widow?
biggrin.gif
)

and yep ur starting to be a collector...seriously though..i think i am only one with some budget who only has one headphone (okay i also have the mmx300) and one headphone amp...most of us with some kind of budget have their house(s) full of headphones and amps and tubes (if they have a tube amp)..and women (oops..just kiddiing!!) not me..as just when i met my lady ..i go for the best that i can get and stick with it
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #364 of 673

I think the HFM rep said they were doing one more run of 500's and that's it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #365 of 673
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #366 of 673
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #367 of 673
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #368 of 673
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #369 of 673
Feb 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #370 of 673
That doesn't matter, why does everyone seem to think that just because something isn't in production that it's inferior, like seriously What? He-4 has great reviews and I believe it would beat the he-400 at its price range.

Ahh but it needs an amp, a new user isn't going to have the budget to afford an amp for the HE 4, the 400i would be a good idea since it's easier to drive, the HE 400 is great for edm, but generally sucks outside that genre. 
  Yep, that's what he said.

My HE 4 is getting wood cups... yay :D it's gonna be a special discountinued can, All I need now is for Audio Technica to discountinue the W1000x and I'll have three heaviliy modded Wooden Discountinued headphones ^^ 

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #371 of 673
HE-4 can powered out of the Vali (12 o'clock for most songs). I fell under the superstition that the HE-4 is "hard to drive" but I soon found that this isn't really true. Yes, you will need to turn your amp up more than you would for the HE-400, HE-400 or HE-500. However, I can play my HE-4 straight out of my iPhone and maxing out the volume brings it to comfortable listening levels. The Vali sounds great with them.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #372 of 673

Know about CSD (waterfall plots) and distortion figures? EQ can't help that..

Lol, be glad you weren't here when hifimanrookie raved about his evil one 
tongue.gif
 (no offence)

Not to be a a pain in the ass or something..but U DO KNOW xenophon has my amp now right? And he uses him to drive his he 6,

So ALL i said in the past, as u call it 'raving about', is all true... it hurts right? when something turns out to be the hard truth and u were wrong..so wrong.. No pun intended ofcourse
redface.gif
but i understand u will be listening to a standard 339 soon? Well..maybe just maybe u will be surprised.. Dont know what tubes that amp will have and i know the 339 sounds a bit warmer then a 337 and a tad slower i understand from ultrainferno who listened to my 337 and owns a 339 himself.
Just Ask xenophon...my modded 337 was/is better then anyone expects...a modded one.. U should listen to it if u had the chance..maybe u then would buy one too for ur he500..and then mod the hell out of it
wink.gif

Misunderstandingzz...
The bolded line was said in relation to Nimzerz being annoyed by k701 pads being recommended too much.
I know xenophon owns the amp..
Never said anything bad about the evil one or 339/337 for that matter, might have commented a little on your tendency to rave about it back then (which is quite true IMO), but that's it. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #373 of 673
  Misunderstandingzz...
The bolded line was said in relation to Nimzerz being annoyed by k701 pads being recommended too much.
I know xenophon owns the amp..
Never said anything bad about the evil one or 339/337 for that matter, might have commented a little on your tendency to rave about it back then (which is quite true IMO), but that's it. 

no worries..i dont feel offended... hope u will enjoy ur listening time with that 339 on that meet ur going to attend
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #374 of 673
  HE-4 can powered out of the Vali (12 o'clock for most songs). I fell under the superstition that the HE-4 is "hard to drive" but I soon found that this isn't really true. Yes, you will need to turn your amp up more than you would for the HE-400, HE-400 or HE-500. However, I can play my HE-4 straight out of my iPhone and maxing out the volume brings it to comfortable listening levels. The Vali sounds great with them.

True but do you still get the HE 4 optimal sound out of the Vali? If you compared the DT 880 on the Vali to the HE 4, would the HE 4 stand out as the better headphone? I tend to think it would be mostly on par with the DT 880 out of the Vali, I could be wrong but through my NFb10ES2 balanced out the HE 4 was is a mosnter

and I did a test with my old DT 990 and HE 400 [imo the DT 990 and HE 400 share teh same relationship at the HE 4 and the DT 880,]

and the HE 400 on my Matrix M Stage, was imo on par with the DT 990, each had advantages over the other, but their trade offs put them on equal footing, out of the NFB 10ES2 [SE at that] the HE 400 started to sound a step above the DT 990

so I assume with less than optimal amps, the HE 4 wouldn't be any better than cheaper priced dyanmic headphones. Just my 2 cents

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #375 of 673

I had a chance to try a Vali at the last meet with the HE4 but passed thinking "there's no way."  I might try it at the next meet as well as the Lyr which I really wanted to try with the HE4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back