HIFIMAN HE6se Loaner tour
Sep 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #136 of 163
My main interest in wanting to try out the HE-6se is due it being such a natural pairing for use with speaker amps. I drove them using a Pass Labs X150.8 (150 watts, 26 dB gain), which is as my preferred amp for drivingall three of my other headphones (Susvara, RAAL SR1a, and Utopia). The amp is fed by an M-Scaler/DAVE.

To my ears, the HE-6se has two salient, differentiating characteristics. First and foremost, for me, is its liveliness.

IMO, planars tend to have a smooth timbre and an almost "softened" presentation (in terms of their treatment of transients); this is definitely how I think of the Susvara, for instance. The HE-6se goes in the other direction in a way that differentiates it from the planar stereotype. So that's interesting, and offers something different. And so, when properly driven, this quality creates a positive first impression. Bass is punchy, and macrodynamics in general are very good. Bass extension is good, though noticeably less so than that of current-gen planar flagships.

However, although it sounds lively, it also paradoxically sounds slightly over-damped to my ears. Reverb and air that I expect to fill in the soundstage is slightly attenuated, sustains are a little short, and decays are a little too quick, leading to a slightly dry sound.

The second main characteristic that stands out to me is its emphasized midrange/upper-midrange. For me personally, this is a big watch-out, though everyone has their own preference and different perception of tonality when using headphones. The forward mids lend a sense of excitement by accentuating the energy of transients like percussion. But for me, I found some acoustic instruments to sound slightly off. Eg, pianos in the middle register had a hint of nasality.

Nevertheless, I thought the 6se sounded pretty good for its price class, with a fun sound signature. Thanks much to HifiMan for putting the effort into organizing this tour.

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #137 of 163
My main interest in wanting to try out the HE-6se is due it being such a natural pairing for use with speaker amps. I drove them using a Pass Labs X150.8 (150 watts, 26 dB gain), which is as my preferred amp for drivingall three of my other headphones (Susvara, RAAL SR1a, and Utopia). The amp is fed by an M-Scaler/DAVE.

To my ears, the HE-6se has two salient, differentiating characteristics. First and foremost, for me, is its liveliness.

IMO, planars tend to have a smooth timbre and an almost "softened" presentation (in terms of their treatment of transients); this is definitely how I think of the Susvara, for instance. The HE-6se goes in the other direction in a way that differentiates it from the planar stereotype. So that's interesting, and offers something different. And so, when properly driven, this quality creates a positive first impression. Bass is punchy, and macrodynamics in general are very good. Bass extension is good, though noticeably less so than that of current-gen planar flagships.

However, although it sounds lively, it also paradoxically sounds slightly over-damped to my ears. Reverb and air that I expect to fill in the soundstage is slightly attenuated, sustains are a little short, and decays are a little too quick, leading to a slightly dry sound.

The second main characteristic that stands out to me is its emphasized midrange/upper-midrange. For me personally, this is a big watch-out, though everyone has their own preference and different perception of tonality when using headphones. The forward mids lend a sense of excitement by accentuating the energy of transients like percussion. But for me, I found some acoustic instruments to sound slightly off. Eg, pianos in the middle register had a hint of nasality.

Nevertheless, I thought the 6se sounded pretty good for its price class, with a fun sound signature. Thanks much to HifiMan for putting the effort into organizing this tour.

One question, did you listen to the SE with the stock cable? Ok one more question, was the compare to your Susvara done with the Susvara also using the stock cable?

I love my mod HE6 and think it sound great and was thinking that the upper-midrange emphasize and dryness you report can be associated or at least accentuated with the use of the stock cable. If the SE is like the original HE6 a change to Audeze’s vegan ear pads made it sound so much better. Smoother, more balanced tonality, more and better bass, much better image and most important tone down the low treble/upper-midrange emphasize. A new grill that doesn’t damp the sound as much is also recommended for a more open and effortless sound.

IMO

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #138 of 163
One question, did you listen to the SE with the stock cable? Ok one more question, was the compare to your Susvara done with the Susvara also using the stock cable?

I love my mod HE6 and think it sound great and was thinking that the upper-midrange emphasize and dryness you report can be associated and at least accentuated with the use of the stock cable. If the SE is like the original HE6 a change to Audeze’s vegan ear pads made it sound so much better. Smoother, more balanced tonality, more and better bass, much better image and most important tone down the low treble/upper-midrange emphasize. A new grill that doesn’t damp the sound as much is also recommended for a more open and effortless sound.

IMO

I was using the stock cable only on the 6SE. My comparisons with the Susvara were based on my normal setup using my preferred third-party cable, a Lazuli Ultra (which yea to be fair costs more by itself than the 6SE), though any comparisons between the two doesn't change meaningfully to me if considering the Susvara with the stock cable.

Point taken about the modifications that could improve the 6SE. It sounds like you have it dialed in. :)

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #140 of 163
I received the he6se yesterday. Unfortunately it did not come with the He speaker adapter so I contacted Hifiman and they will be sending one out to me.
So far I did try it with my V200 amp and it actually does an admirable job driving it and using the RME ADI dac as source.
I also just bought a Soundaware P1 amp which should do an even better job than the V200, I hope to get it here by Monday.
So far I like what I'm hearing. I rank transparency high on my lists of what I want in a headphone and the he6se delivers. I consider it a very fun and exciting headphone. It definitely had me engaged in the music tapping my feet and even singing along a few times. I'll see how living with it for the next week holds up.
I'll post more when I get a proper amount of time with it...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #142 of 163
I have received HE6SE from tour before weekend.
First impression is bad. Really bad when you concern the price of this unit and how bad still build quality is. LEft part of headband is working very hard, while the right one goes too easy and looses the setting.
I do understand that this is a hard used sample but still - buying such expensive headphones you want quality.
This one has to be completely redesigned. Its high time for this. I used to have 400i/4XX/560 and all of them had issues. With more expensive sets this has to be solved.

But... if you do not care about the build quality - this set is really a nice setup from SQ view. Nice stage, bass is punchy and quick while soprans are still clear and crisp. Cable provided is not bad but I found it sound better with my wireworld nano silver one. Perhaps its also just fact that I'm used to it?
Please remember that HE6SE need power. Way more then other headphones at the market now. There is a trend to go to mobile world with over ear headphones. With HE6SE you simply cannot. When you go mobile you will loose 50% of their potential. Even with desktop they need more. I regret that I sold KANN CUBE before trying with these cause I think this one should still work OK.
SP1000M is not a perfect match. I would say that even hugo2 would not be (but again - did not tested, sold Hugo2 some time ago).

So desktop - RME ADI-DAC FS - at high gain works great. Nice, detailed mids and highs. But all of this is nothing till you connect HE6SE with Pathos Aurium and RMA as source.
This goes way beyond and shows that HE6SE likes power. I am during selling Pathos Aurium cause at my daily use Focal Clear I do not see too much difference compared to RME only.
But here is WOW efect. Synergy is amazing and AGAIN Hifiman shows that their heapdhones can increasy fun for you based on system you connect. Power and control = way better SQ.

So overall - I would say that these are even better sounding then my Focal Clear, when you go more for better response on bas and high ends. If good source is given.
But always remember that build quality is poor and MSRP needs to be again reviewed by Hifiman. Overpriced so far, while at lower pricing this could became a king.

Thanks for loeaner tour. Appreciate. This was FUN!

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #145 of 163
Hi,

I too would like to be a part of the HE-6Se loaner tour. My current daily drivers are the HE-500's and I've been looking for the next step up. So far, demoing Focal's Utopia and Audeze's LCD-4 against my HE-500's failed to sway me enough to take either of them home with me. I posted impressions of the Grado HF-3 from another loaner tour here.

City: Los Angeles
State: California

Thanks @TeamHiFiMAN for putting together this loaner tour.

Nov 17, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #146 of 163
I am interested in participating. I am from Georgia in the USA! I am a very experienced audio enthusiast as well as inspiring YouTuber. Hope I get this amazing opportunity!

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #147 of 163
Wow, is it still possible to indicate interest in this tour? I am currently the owner of a Sundara, and I'm writing a review of it at the moment to be posted on Headphonesty. I really enjoy the Sundara - hearing it for the first time was one of the most magical experiences I've had in headphonedom - and it seems like I have a certain affinity for the Hifiman sound as it pairs very well with the genres I like (it's a bit cold, but robust and majestic, in a way that suits ambient music very well). It seems like Hifiman is a company that's sort of come a long way in evolving its sound from its very first products, and I'd love to get a better idea of the history of the company by getting to try a few more of its earlier products. Besides, the HE-6 is a headphone that I've had my eye on upgrading to once I get a heftier stream of income.

I live in New York. Even if the HE6SE is no longer touring, I'd love to be included on future Hifiman tours. Please let me know!

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #148 of 163
The loaner tour just showed up at my house yesterday! No HE adapter in the box so I won’t be trying a speaker amp, but preliminary listening with both a Jotunheim and THX AAA 789 are leaving a good impression. Will also be trying a Lyr2.
Mainly will be comparing to my HE560 since they are the most similar things I own. Also will compare with LCD-2f
Thanks for doing this tour, it will be fun!

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #149 of 163
The loaner tour just showed up at my house yesterday! No HE adapter in the box so I won’t be trying a speaker amp, but preliminary listening with both a Jotunheim and THX AAA 789 are leaving a good impression. Will also be trying a Lyr2.
Mainly will be comparing to my HE560 since they are the most similar things I own. Also will compare with LCD-2f
Thanks for doing this tour, it will be fun!
My time on the tour is almost up. Still wishing I had the HE adapter or speaker tap cable, but the Jotunheim and THX AAA 789 both do a respectable job. I do like these better than my HE560, but I wouldn't say $1000 better. I'll do a full comparison at the end of the week when I have to send these on to the next person.

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #150 of 163
Hi -

I too would like to participate. I live in Valley Stream, NY (11581). My current top headphone is the HE-560, and I’d love to have the opportunity to hear the 6se to get an idea of what more can be had. I’ve got a very nice Burson Soloist amplifier which I believe could do them justice and, with 45+ years in the audio hobby, lots of other high end goodies to back it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back