HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,537 of 2,647
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,538 of 2,647
Thats me (who sold you them) :relaxed:. The rings will work just fine, I've never had an issue with them. The only thing is if you haven't done much pad swapping before, there is a knack to it with hifimans and it takes some practice to do quickly. Keep at if you don't manage the first couple tries, its doable. Eventually you will get to the point its like second nature and done in 30 seconds.
Line up the tabs of the ring with the tab notches on the back of the can, lightly squeeze the pads, push in, let side squeeze go as you keep the pad against the back of the can. turn the pad so that the tabs end up about half way between the tab notches in the back of the can . Done if all tabs holding, if one or two not, rotate back to the tabs matching the tab notches, try to jiggle them in , and rotate and check again.

Oops sometimes the edge of the leather gets in the way, if so, trim a bit back, but too much and the leather won't hold and you'll have to glue it down, I know from experience.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #2,539 of 2,647
Any thoughts on restocking on Adorama? December is around the corner...
FB seldom fails to follow profits. A little bit of pent up demand now, they should release the v3 with less glue holding it together (thought to be one of the reasons the v1 and v2 don't have that staggering bass impact of the 6 screw), with better cables, pads, rear screens and go with the gold not aluminum innards and market it as the long lost OG HE-6 redux with reviews and graphs to prove the bass impact is back. Heck they could even call it the "6 screw". Start them out at $799 and slip $100 every 3 months until they get to $399 and I guarantee thousands sold, and a drop of the resale of the OG's.

They could seek out the originator of the "Code Sex" mod @LFF pay him a fee, and have an upmarket version for $200 more

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,540 of 2,647
Tried this week with Ether angled pads. Not very impressed.
I put the stock pads back on today and they are much more clear and the sound is bigger, to me. The Ether pads do block out some sound that the more open, stock pads let through.

Worth trying, but I will be selling the Ethers on.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2,541 of 2,647
Tried this week with Ether angled pads. Not very impressed.
I put the stock pads back on today and they are much more clear and the sound is bigger, to me. The Ether pads do block out some sound that the more open, stock pads let through.

Worth trying, but I will be selling the Ethers on.
This has been my general experience with solid leather pads on this headphone, too. Generally, I've found they put too much emphasis around lower midrange making everything sound "thick," for lack of a better term, and not really in a good way. I am of the camp that this headphone needs pads that breathe to sounds it's best. The stock PaliPad is about halfway between a solid pad and something like a velour (which is my fave).

But now you have tried it, you know they aren't for you, and that's always helpful to be able to put that nagging "what if" out of your mind. At least, that's been my experience and why I tried so many pads on mine (over 2 dozen). I don't want to worry about be leaving some magical combination (for my ears) on the table (like the sheepskin Ori on the HE-400). Everything I try just reaffirms that my ears like velour pads the best on the 6se.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. But thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. Happy listening! :o2smile:

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #2,542 of 2,647
This has been my general experience with solid leather pads on this headphone, too. Generally, I've found they put too much emphasis around lower midrange making everything sound "thick," for lack of a better term, and not really in a good way. I am of the camp that this headphone needs pads that breathe to sounds it's best. The stock PaliPad is about halfway between a solid pad and something like a velour (which is my fave).

But now you have tried it, you know they aren't for you, and that's always helpful to be able to put that nagging "what if" out of your mind. At least, that's been my experience and why I tried so many pads on mine (over 2 dozen). I don't want to worry about be leaving some magical combination (for my ears) on the table (like the sheepskin Ori on the HE-400). Everything I try just reaffirms that my ears like velour pads the best on the 6se.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. But thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. Happy listening! :o2smile:
I had always wanted to try them, but buying the pads and clips from separate companies would have put me out close on $200.00 in Canuck bucks, landed. I got these for much less and I won't lose a whole lot on resale. Cheap way to try them out.

What velours are you using? Are you referring to the HiFiman Velour pads?

I think I would probably enjoy a leather pad that had a nice wide opening like the stock pads. But I am not going to spend $200.00 or more to find out. :smile:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #2,543 of 2,647
I had always wanted to try them, but buying the pads and clips from separate companies would have put me out close on $200.00 in Canuck bucks, landed. I got these for much less and I won't lose a whole lot on resale. Cheap way to try them out.

What velours are you using? Are you referring to the HiFiman Velour pads?

I think I would probably enjoy a leather pad that had a nice wide opening like the stock pads. But I am not going to spend $200.00 or more to find out. :smile:
Yeah, stuff gets pricey in Canada Land! I can totally understand not wanting to drop that kind of dough. I haven't tried the Ether pads specifically since I don't feel any pad is worth the ~$100 USD it would cost me, stateside. I got burned a long time ago buying pricey pads that everyone swore were awesome and I hated the sound of them. So, I typically won't drop over $50 on a pad without a really good reason. I have tried several genuine lambskin pads on the 6se and all had some similar traits (that I don't care for) so I really haven't pursued the Ether ones.

But, speaking of sheepskin pads with larger openings, I picked up a pair of sheepskin TH900 pads on 11.11 AliExpress sale for peanuts after all the coupons and such. Those have a pretty big ear opening and I plan to try them on my 6se (like I do with every pad I get that will fit it, lol) so I will let you know how that goes, if you are curious. I will probably recieve them in the next week or so.

The velours I currently have on my 6se aren't the official Hifiman ones, they are some generic ones from AliExpress ("Khopesh" was the store name) that sound and measure almost the exact same as the official Hifiman ones. The reason I use them over them over real ones are that they are softer and more comfortable. They were only like $4 and were great so I bought a bunch of sizes of them for various headphones that I have. I would post a link except they took the listing down, unfortunately. Visually, they look pretty similar to these based on the constomer pictures but I haven't tried those exact ones, so I can't say for sure. But, honestly, most round velour pads I have tried between 100 and 105mm work and sound great. (I have totes full of pads, lol) The more breathable the velour frabric, the better, in my experience (so more suede-like materials aren't the best choice). Also, being too shallow can mess with the midrange, so you want a similar thickness to Hifiman velour ones, or thicker.

I have also tried the VelPad. Has better imaging than a regular round velour donut, given that it's angled, but while it sounds similar, it has some more spice to the treble which I can find a tad harsh at times. Also, not quite as comfortable to me as the velour pads I use currently, so I always end up going back to those.

Anyway, wasn't intending to prattle on that long (so, sorry for the wall of text!), but it's par for the course when I start talking about stuff like this... Lol

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #2,544 of 2,647
he62 (1).jpg

Finally with my favorite headband...​

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #2,545 of 2,647
Yeah, stuff gets pricey in Canada Land! I can totally understand not wanting to drop that kind of dough. I haven't tried the Ether pads specifically since I don't feel any pad is worth the ~$100 USD it would cost me, stateside. I got burned a long time ago buying pricey pads that everyone swore were awesome and I hated the sound of them. So, I typically won't drop over $50 on a pad without a really good reason. I have tried several genuine lambskin pads on the 6se and all had some similar traits (that I don't care for) so I really haven't pursued the Ether ones.

But, speaking of sheepskin pads with larger openings, I picked up a pair of sheepskin TH900 pads on 11.11 AliExpress sale for peanuts after all the coupons and such. Those have a pretty big ear opening and I plan to try them on my 6se (like I do with every pad I get that will fit it, lol) so I will let you know how that goes, if you are curious. I will probably recieve them in the next week or so.

The velours I currently have on my 6se aren't the official Hifiman ones, they are some generic ones from AliExpress ("Khopesh" was the store name) that sound and measure almost the exact same as the official Hifiman ones. The reason I use them over them over real ones are that they are softer and more comfortable. They were only like $4 and were great so I bought a bunch of sizes of them for various headphones that I have. I would post a link except they took the listing down, unfortunately. Visually, they look pretty similar to these based on the constomer pictures but I haven't tried those exact ones, so I can't say for sure. But, honestly, most round velour pads I have tried between 100 and 105mm work and sound great. (I have totes full of pads, lol) The more breathable the velour frabric, the better, in my experience (so more suede-like materials aren't the best choice). Also, being too shallow can mess with the midrange, so you want a similar thickness to Hifiman velour ones, or thicker.

I have also tried the VelPad. Has better imaging than a regular round velour donut, given that it's angled, but while it sounds similar, it has some more spice to the treble which I can find a tad harsh at times. Also, not quite as comfortable to me as the velour pads I use currently, so I always end up going back to those.

Anyway, wasn't intending to prattle on that long (so, sorry for the wall of text!), but it's par for the course when I start talking about stuff like this... Lol
I dove in deep with Dekoni pads. I bought two sets (one for Grado's and one for Focal Clear's). Landed was about $350.00Cdn. and I don't use either set.

The HiFiman velour ones are only $10.00, but they are not angled and I don't think they come with mounting rings. So, toss in a set of rings and you are looking at $20.00, plus shipping which will at least double the price. If I pick up a set of Really cheap headphones in the near future (Closed back Sundara's at $149.00?), I will toss those on the order. :slight_smile:

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #2,546 of 2,647
The HiFiman velour ones are only $10.00, but they are not angled and I don't think they come with mounting rings. :slight_smile:
FWIW, If you buy the genuine round velours from Hifiman, they should come with rings (at least the set I bought did).

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #2,547 of 2,647
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #2,549 of 2,647
I’m telling you guys- dekoni egg shaped velour are where it’s at

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #2,550 of 2,647
big struggle or matter of fitting it in please?
This is the procedure for changing the headband if anyone is interested...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back