HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Aug 30, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #2,476 of 2,647
The first group sold were actually OG 6 screw per what I have read
I had no idea the original 6se was the 6 screw. That is really cool actually.

v1 strap way better than v2
I also agree that the V1 headband is better but fortunately, the newer version doesn't bother me and I kind of like the aesthetics of it. Had the V1 headband on my He-560v3 (or v4 - can't remember) and found it to be quite comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2,477 of 2,647
The Monoprice M1570-Open recently went on sale for stupid-cheap, so I caved and bought it, this being the second time I've owned one. And I'm glad I have one again, if only to confirm that I was remembering it correctly, at least in terms of its bass. Because during all my struggles to get the kind of bass I was looking for out of the HE6se V2, I kept thinking, "The M1570 could do it, why can't this headphone?" and then having to doubt how accurate my memory of the M1570 was. Like, maybe I was misremembering it and expecting a kind of performance that isn't possible.

In both cases, I start with the Oratory1990 EQ with some light tweaks for each headphone, with my Bifrost 2/64 DAC. For the Hifiman, my go-to is my Onkyo AVR that's good for 160WPC, connected via balanced cable to my homemade speaker tap to 4-pin XLR adapter. For the M1570, much more simply, just a balanced cable to my Jotunheim. One of my favorite bass test tracks is "Thunder" by Prodigy.

Even with a +20db shelf on the Hifiman, I still couldn't get that visceral slam or impact that bassheads like myself expect when they hear those words used so frequently to describe a headphone. Still plenty of headroom on the Onkyo, too. But the M1570, a more "modest" +12db bass shelf, I'm finally getting a whiff of the kind of sub-bass that you can feel in your eyes. I'm sure if I pushed this as hard as +20db the thing would shake itself off my head, lol. Plus, my Jot is still only at 10 o'clock with this EQ. Miles of headroom to go.

I'm glad to have an M1570 again, if only to confirm that my memory is correct and I'm not just making it up that big open-back planars can be capable of the kind of bass I've been wanting from the HE6.

The HE6 sure is exceedingly detailed, resolving, and fast. But the M1570 is certainly no slouch in the resolution department, either, and it's a damn sight more bass-fun, that's for sure, lol. Plus, it has to be mentioned that the M1570 can achieve this with much more modest amplification and better build quality.

I've only had the M1570 back in my collection for a couple hours, I'll do more direct comparisons in the future. Nice thing is that I can have my Bifrost outputting via XLR to my Jotunheim and via RCA to my Onkyo at the same time, so I can do some real quick A/B'ing.

I don't need another headphone that can knock me silly with bass like my XB1000 or SZ2000 can do. Y'know, a raucous listening session with those and you feel like a Warner Brothers cartoon character that just took an anvil to the face: dizzy, cross-eyed, canaries flying around your head, that whole thing. I'm not looking for that extreme of a bass sensation from a planar like this, but, y'know, at least something a little reminiscent of it, but with more detail, accuracy, refinement, etc, across the whole spectrum in place of sheer bass quantity. The HE6 definitely checks the detail/accuracy/refinement boxes, but bass quantity never got anywhere near what I wanted, no matter how much EQ, despite all the talk of slam and impact in this thread. The M1570, on the other hand, this thing is clearly at least capable of silly, silly fun, lol.

Two very different characters here.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,478 of 2,647
^ Take a look at the ASR graph for velour and leather pads of the 1570; The PEQ they suggest is near 11 db at 109 Hz at sub 1 Q

The ASR review of the HE-6 SE says 8 db at Q 1 @ 80 Hz - so a well bigger bass increase (not just db and Hz but the Q too) needed for the 1570

ASR also said the corrected sub bass of the 6 SE was "gorgeous sub-bass with incredible resolution and fidelity" - to be fair they liked the EQ 1570 bass after the correction.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,479 of 2,647
The Monoprice M1570-Open recently went on sale for stupid-cheap, so I caved and bought it, this being the second time I've owned one. And I'm glad I have one again, if only to confirm that I was remembering it correctly, at least in terms of its bass. Because during all my struggles to get the kind of bass I was looking for out of the HE6se V2, I kept thinking, "The M1570 could do it, why can't this headphone?" and then having to doubt how accurate my memory of the M1570 was. Like, maybe I was misremembering it and expecting a kind of performance that isn't possible.

In both cases, I start with the Oratory1990 EQ with some light tweaks for each headphone, with my Bifrost 2/64 DAC. For the Hifiman, my go-to is my Onkyo AVR that's good for 160WPC, connected via balanced cable to my homemade speaker tap to 4-pin XLR adapter. For the M1570, much more simply, just a balanced cable to my Jotunheim. One of my favorite bass test tracks is "Thunder" by Prodigy.

Even with a +20db shelf on the Hifiman, I still couldn't get that visceral slam or impact that bassheads like myself expect when they hear those words used so frequently to describe a headphone. Still plenty of headroom on the Onkyo, too. But the M1570, a more "modest" +12db bass shelf, I'm finally getting a whiff of the kind of sub-bass that you can feel in your eyes. I'm sure if I pushed this as hard as +20db the thing would shake itself off my head, lol. Plus, my Jot is still only at 10 o'clock with this EQ. Miles of headroom to go.

I'm glad to have an M1570 again, if only to confirm that my memory is correct and I'm not just making it up that big open-back planars can be capable of the kind of bass I've been wanting from the HE6.

The HE6 sure is exceedingly detailed, resolving, and fast. But the M1570 is certainly no slouch in the resolution department, either, and it's a damn sight more bass-fun, that's for sure, lol. Plus, it has to be mentioned that the M1570 can achieve this with much more modest amplification and better build quality.

I've only had the M1570 back in my collection for a couple hours, I'll do more direct comparisons in the future. Nice thing is that I can have my Bifrost outputting via XLR to my Jotunheim and via RCA to my Onkyo at the same time, so I can do some real quick A/B'ing.

I don't need another headphone that can knock me silly with bass like my XB1000 or SZ2000 can do. Y'know, a raucous listening session with those and you feel like a Warner Brothers cartoon character that just took an anvil to the face: dizzy, cross-eyed, canaries flying around your head, that whole thing. I'm not looking for that extreme of a bass sensation from a planar like this, but, y'know, at least something a little reminiscent of it, but with more detail, accuracy, refinement, etc, across the whole spectrum in place of sheer bass quantity. The HE6 definitely checks the detail/accuracy/refinement boxes, but bass quantity never got anywhere near what I wanted, no matter how much EQ, despite all the talk of slam and impact in this thread. The M1570, on the other hand, this thing is clearly at least capable of silly, silly fun, lol.

I remember my 1570's. They were GREAT with the iFi Pro iCAN! It was like listening to speakers. They had the bad fortune to preceed the HE6se V2's by a few weeks. And they were really heavy. I only noticed when I was taking them off or putting them on.

I would like to hear them again.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #2,480 of 2,647
I remember my 1570's. They were GREAT with the iFi Pro iCAN! It was like listening to speakers. They had the bad fortune to proceed the HE6se V2's by a few weeks. And they were really heavy. I only noticed when I was taking them off or putting them on.

I would like to hear them again.
Yeah, I suspect the first time I owned them, I didn't really get on with them just because of bad amp synergy. I had (and still have) the Liquid Platinum, but I've found since then that I just don't particularly care for the planar-on-tubes sound. The only other amp I had at the time was the Singxer SA-1, which does synergize greatly with a good few headphones, just... the M1570 isn't one of them.

This time around, though, I've got a Jotunheim, Liquid Gold, and RebelAmp to try this headphone with. If one of these doesn't make me love the headphone, nothing will.

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #2,481 of 2,647
Would anyone interested in buying my Hifiman He6v2? I bought some months ago during the Adorama blowout sale. I've upgraded the original headband with the much more comfortable (in my opinion) suspension strap and also upgraded to a much thicker perforated earpads. If interested please send me message. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #2,482 of 2,647

he6sev2 simply has flat bass it was never a bass monster. Just like how people described the LCD-2 with great bass it’s still…flat bass. The true bass monster is the drop ultrasone signature x that headphone has truly the basshead profile

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,483 of 2,647
I agrees the X is really fun as heck. Hits like a sledgehammer too. Hard impact headphone, hardest I've heard.

Ultrasones have quite literally become my only closed back sets, I've found nothing I enjoy more - they are kings of "fun".

Criminally underrated and overlooked IMO, especially so considering they are closed.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #2,484 of 2,647
Would anyone interested in buying my Hifiman He6v2? I bought some months ago during the Adorama blowout sale. I've upgraded the original headband with the much more comfortable (in my opinion) suspension strap and also upgraded to a much thicker perforated earpads. If interested please send me message. Thank you.
@trh322 curious what pads are those and how hard was it to put them on... thanks.. those look like nice mods...

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #2,485 of 2,647
Jumping into the thread to say that I just got my pair a few days ago (picked up an open box pair because I figured they'd be less likely to have any QA issues). Wow, these sure do come with a lot of caveats, but once I took care of those out-of-the-box issues (amplification, headband, ear pads, cable), these sound and feel incredible. They also reveal every slight and subtle tweak to my (modest) setup, so it's taken a bit of work to get these things sounding their best. But... whoa.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #2,486 of 2,647

@HiFiRebel

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2,489 of 2,647
@whenprivatemessageistooinconvenient

Sorry man, this is fairly standard practice here.

We now return you to your grumpy mode, already in progress :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back