HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,156 of 2,647
lol Right? Actually, I'm pretty confident I've got the kit to enjoy them just fine at the moment. I've seen plenty of people suggesting my Liquid Platinum is a great amp for them. And if not, I have a Marantz AVR upstairs that's good for 90WPC@8ohms. I've run my AKG Sextetts directly off the speaker taps to great effect before, I'm sure if I truly need the brute force, that'll do.

Long term, I'm very interested in building a KG CFA3 amp, as well. Sounds like a very fun project and there are a lot of Susvara owners that positively gush about theirs. If it's good enough for a Susvara, it's good enough for an HE6.
I thought they were good with my LP, but I had to drive them at 2:00-3:00. When I added my Schiit Loki, it was really rocking. But I should mention, yet again, that I am not a loud listener.

My amp of preference is the iFi Pro iCAN, which seems a lot more expensive, but it wasn't actually.
I bought my LP and Loki brand new. My landed cost for both in Canada was about $1,300.00 in Canuck bucks. I bought the OG iFi Pro iCAN, used, for $1,500.00 Canuck bucks.
I sold the LP because the iFi is a jack of all trades. Also, with my collection, the usefulness of the LP was limited due to the high gain. Most of my collection is very low impedance.

Just some FYI stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,158 of 2,647
now be ready to buy a $2k amp for them :)
KEKW
I'm powering mine through 2x Crown D-75A as monoblocks.
EZ endgame amps for $200 each.

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_130527.jpg
    IMG_20220728_130527.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220728_130602.jpg
    IMG_20220728_130602.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220728_130543.jpg
    IMG_20220728_130543.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,159 of 2,647
KEKW
I'm powering mine through 2x Crown D-75A as monoblocks.
EZ endgame amps for $200 each.
Oh, that's interesting. So you're getting about 110WPC@8ohms? How do you split one input into two amps? Is it just, left input into one amp, right input into the other?

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,160 of 2,647
Oh, that's interesting. So you're getting about 110WPC@8ohms? How do you split one input into two amps? Is it just, left input into one amp, right input into the other?
Yeah 110W @ 8 Ohm into each channel.
I just use the left input as per Crown's recommendation.
Then only the left and right binding post outputs with adapters.
Plug a bananas male to XLR female adapter into them.
Connect headphones to adapter.
Ideally use a preamp to control volume.
Then you're good to go.

Impressions so far: bigger (all directions) soundstage, fuller sound, bass more impactful & awesome separation/imaging. Resolutions seems on par but it's easier to detect microdetails this way.
The biggest improvement I found is that I don't have to crank up the volume anymore because the sound is so full you can listen at 70-75dB without losing quality. Increasing the volume just increase the quantity of each thing, but the quality remains the same with low volume.
Very weird and incredible at the same time.
Definitely recommend going this route with HE6seV2.
My signature shows my setup.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,161 of 2,647
Yeah 110W @ 8 Ohm into each channel.
I just use the left input as per Crown's recommendation.
Then only the left and right binding post outputs with adapters.
Plug a bananas male to XLR female adapter into them.
Connect headphones to adapter.
Ideally use a preamp to control volume.
Then you're good to go.

Impressions so far: bigger (all directions) soundstage, fuller sound, bass more impactful & awesome separation/imaging. Resolutions seems on par but it's easier to detect microdetails this way.
The biggest improvement I found is that I don't have to crank up the volume anymore because the sound is so full you can listen at 70-75dB without losing quality. Increasing the volume just increase the quantity of each thing, but the quality remains the same with low volume.
Very weird and incredible at the same time.
Definitely recommend going this route with HE6seV2.
My signature shows my setup.
Huh, that sounds really fun. I might have to keep an eye out for a pair of those.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,162 of 2,647
lol Right? Actually, I'm pretty confident I've got the kit to enjoy them just fine at the moment. I've seen plenty of people suggesting my Liquid Platinum is a great amp for them. And if not, I have a Marantz AVR upstairs that's good for 90WPC@8ohms. I've run my AKG Sextetts directly off the speaker taps to great effect before, I'm sure if I truly need the brute force, that'll do.

Long term, I'm very interested in building a KG CFA3 amp, as well. Sounds like a very fun project and there are a lot of Susvara owners that positively gush about theirs. If it's good enough for a Susvara, it's good enough for an HE6.
It's unclear, maybe the HE6SE V2 needs more power than the Susvara. But, from my tests, the HE6SE V2 are less hard to drive well than the legends would suggest. Try your AVR and work from there.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,163 of 2,647
I was pretty doubtful about how hard these things are to drive. I have a Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 and these sound really great through this setup! However...after a week or so, I noticed that while running on high gain, I felt the sound got a bit harsh in the upper-mid region and just didn't get the bass impact I'd heard about. Switching to low gain on the Jotunheim 2 gave me a much better sound to my ears. Less harsh and some decent low-end, but I'm cranking the volume pot between 3:00 and 5:00. Nearly maxing things out.

I can safely say things sound really really great with the Bifrost 2/Jot 2 combo, but I'm now really curious what a more powerful amp would do. In the meantime, I've ordered some new pads to try and will report back!

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,164 of 2,647
It's unclear, maybe the HE6SE V2 needs more power than the Susvara. But, from my tests, the HE6SE V2 are less hard to drive well than the legends would suggest. Try your AVR and work from there.
Yeah. I'm not worried about it. Any future quests for more power than I already have will be done for fun, not necessity.

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,166 of 2,647
Jul 28, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #1,167 of 2,647
You are right - Susvara more inefficient and more revealing - hence harder too drive.

6SE 1 or 2 are a great deal of the way there at much less money.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,168 of 2,647
1659057135687.png

Anybody know how to fast-forward to Tuesday?

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,170 of 2,647

Users who are viewing this thread

Back