HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #152 of 2,647
Just finished grill mod on the HE6se V2.

Bass and sub-bass are execllent.
Mids are nice.
However, treble is sibilant and fatiguing.

Does anyone have any advice how to tame the treble, EQ or otherwise? (I generally enjoy mids and highs)
Have you tried EQ’ing them at all? I don’t find them to be sibilant at all (even without EQ). Could be your source, could be your ears vs my ears, and mostly, it’s the recording.

I find any decent headphone gets sibilant when the recording is sibilant. A headphone that portrays that correctly is a headphone worth keeping.

I also find that any headphone that EQs well, has a pleasurable initial experience, and can change with your source and amp is also worth keeping.

The he-6se is all of the above for me.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #153 of 2,647
I just got done playing the HifiMan HE6se V2 on a whole bunch of amps in my Questyle CMA Twelve writeup.

Click on it to read the details or you can just read my amp summary for the HE6se V2:
1st place - Questyle CMA Twelve
2nd place - Rebel Audio RebelAmp
3rd place - Schiit Jotunheim 2
4th place - Schiit Jotunheim 1 (Discontinued, readily available used)

I did not mention in the writeup that the treble was a tiny bit hot on the HifiMan HE6se V2 when paired with the Questyle CMA Twelve because it was very slight and I could listen past it, and could likely EQ it away if I really wanted to. However, many of the other amps that did not make the cut were hot in the treble region. This ran through my brain as some of you reported hearing "sibilance" or a hot treble response. I think that some of you might be experiencing results of under-amping the headphones with weak amplifiers, or just have an amplifier that does not play well with the HifiMan HE6se V2. Perhaps try the HifiMan HE6se V2 on other amplifiers to hear if the problem goes away.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #154 of 2,647
I just got done playing the HifiMan HE6se V2 on a whole bunch of amps in my Questyle CMA Twelve writeup.

Click on it to read the details or you can just read my amp summary for the HE6se V2:

I did not mention in the writeup that the treble was a tiny bit hot on the HifiMan HE6se V2 when paired with the Questyle CMA Twelve because it was very slight and I could listen past it, and could likely EQ it away if I really wanted to. However, many of the other amps that did not make the cut were hot in the treble region. This ran through my brain as some of you reported hearing "sibilance" or a hot treble response. I think that some of you might be experiencing results of under-amping the headphones with weak amplifiers, or just have an amplifier that does not play well with the HifiMan HE6se V2. Perhaps try the HifiMan HE6se V2 on other amplifiers to hear if the problem goes away.
can you describe he6se v2 and Schiit Jotunheim 1 how it sounds

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #156 of 2,647

Mids are nice.

Does anyone have any advice how to tame the treble, EQ or otherwise? (I generally enjoy mids and highs)
There are lots of ways:

Fuzzor mod
Equipment changes - what do you have ? these cans reveal up stream crap.
Pads - stock is awful
Cable - stock is awful
EQ - not just just FR but where the ringing is at. Parametric 6 band minimum. Schiit eq is a toy.

I've written a lot in the he-500 and he-6 and 6se threads - search there for details.

Haven't used attenuation devices on he-6(se). Hard to imagine they would be a net positive. Fine for rubbish like the MD Mahogany, not a thoroughbred

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #160 of 2,647
Wait, what are we talking about here? The earpad mounting rings or the attenuation rings which is in addition to the earpad mounting rings.

I guess both, unless you can use the attenuation ring with the HE pads or HE replacement pads?

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #161 of 2,647
Have you tried EQ’ing them at all? I don’t find them to be sibilant at all (even without EQ). Could be your source, could be your ears vs my ears, and mostly, it’s the recording.

I find any decent headphone gets sibilant when the recording is sibilant. A headphone that portrays that correctly is a headphone worth keeping.

I also find that any headphone that EQs well, has a pleasurable initial experience, and can change with your source and amp is also worth keeping.

The he-6se is all of the above for me.

I tried EQ’ing (using Roon’s parametric EQ), some impact but not satisfying outcome. I think the source (Mytek Brooklyn Bridge’s built in amp) which is rather powerful and normally very satisfying may be to bright for this headphone (I have 6 others, including Arya, Kennerton, VC, etc with which it pairs very well, but I may have an exception here). The BB is a more “analytical” brighter sounding amp. I am probably about to buy a tube amp, and perhaps this will resolve this issue.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #162 of 2,647

I’m beginning to think this may indeed be the case here. Per my post just above, my upcoming purchase of a tube amp may perhaps tame this sibilance to resolve it. Much appreciate the thoughtful input!

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #163 of 2,647
There are lots of ways:

Fuzzor mod
Equipment changes - what do you have ? these cans reveal up stream crap.
Pads - stock is awful
Cable - stock is awful
EQ - not just just FR but where the ringing is at. Parametric 6 band minimum. Schiit eq is a toy.

I've written a lot in the he-500 and he-6 and 6se threads - search there for details.

Haven't used attenuation devices on he-6(se). Hard to imagine they would be a net positive. Fine for rubbish like the MD Mahogany, not a thoroughbred

I’m using Roon’s parametric EQ which gives me very fine control if needed - is there an EQ profile you like and can share? (realizing my ears will be different, but may be nice to have a starting point to test out)

I do think you are all onto something - my source amp is probably, for the first time, not up to the job… the most plausible explanation

that said, are there any pads you recommend with the seV2?

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #164 of 2,647

Mids are nice.

I know this may sound dumb but, I listen to the hese v2 stock and it literally has a very smooth treble. Maybe the grill mod caused the treble to get to bright?

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #165 of 2,647
I know this may sound dumb but, I listen to the hese v2 stock and it literally has a very smooth treble. Maybe the grill mod caused the treble to get to bright?

no dumb comment, all are good! :)

The sibilants existed before the mod, and remain unchanged, so I don’t think it had any effect on it either way. Would have been an easy fix….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back