Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #3,481 of 3,880
You need 24 watts although you won't use 'em. Ha.

Funny enough found myself comparing Rag 1 and CFA3. With a little magic sauce.
and what findings do you have? Pardon if you've already done this.

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #3,482 of 3,880
I did the Audeze carbon fiber headband mod.................forget where I got the rods/other part but worth the change. Looks good and comfort is awesome. After wearing out my next to last pair of Vegan pads I just got the Dekoni pads intended for the LCD series - come with double stick tape and I just stuck the HFM mounting ring on them and snapped into place. Love them so far - stiffer foam than the Vegans but like the firmness and I assume they will soften with time. Great headphone - my favorite of over 60 bought/tested/traded over the past 10 years.
There is a sheepskin and a velour - which ones are you enjoying?

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #3,484 of 3,880
OTL amps as I understand them do not deliver.much current at low impedance. My BHCs OTL crushes very elite SSamps with the Senn 800S and 600 but all my HFM and former planars totaling 9 can't even get going. It's not pretty.
hence the need of using 6x 6as7g in the output stage.

It's also the hardest to drive of any sanely priced headphones in terms of wpc. Look it up.
no kidding, I am running it using a low wattage gain-clone ( +/-14v supply so probably can do 20v peak-to-peak /~7v RMS clean output => ~1w into the 6SE.) and it is not that super loud at max volume.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #3,486 of 3,880
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #3,488 of 3,880
I just put my HE6se V2's back on today after 17 straight days of my new OG Clears.
I love the Clear's, but these sound beautiful. I have them hooked up to my iFi Pro iCAN. I recently turned up my Windows volume to 100% on my laptop as it is often mentioned that you should max out your source. I stopped doing this quite a while ago because it really limited the volume range of all my amps. Forgot about my recent change and plugged in my headphones to the iFi on mid gain, as usual. Well, now I can't go much past 9:00. I turn the gain down to low and I can't go past 11:00 on the volume dial. My DAC doesn't have a volume control and I don't use a pre-amp.

The V2's sound clean, wide and clear with bass boost and 3D sound effects engaged. A very nice way to spend the day. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #3,489 of 3,880
The stock 6se cable doesn't use any strain-relief and kinks easily at the connectors. The 90 degrees sharp bends scare me, enough to motivate me to put on some heatshrinks. Not perfect but much better than before.

IMG_0922.JPG

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #3,490 of 3,880
The stock 6se cable doesn't use any strain-relief and kinks easily at the connectors. The 90 degrees sharp bends scare me, enough to motivate me to put on some heatshrinks. Not perfect but much better than before.

Those pieces of heatshrink are now the best parts on that terrible surgical tube cable 😂

Also, if you are curious what's under that tubing, here is your answer.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #3,491 of 3,880
some impressions so far (~30hr playing, out of which about 15 hr was on my head)
-- bass improved a bit, now is about perfect (very clean; a little too strong in some recordings but that is great, I need a pair of bass-head planars ). Probably due to the pads softening and form to my head and providing a better seal.
-- very clean sound, great for low volume listening. It doesn't really "rock" with my current low power amplifications, but I find myself turning down the volume anyway, I get everything I want at low volume. Very satisfying (well the good bass really helps), I just keep on listening.

I tried comparing the 6se v2 to my modded T50rp. To my surprise, with the everything left exactly the same (same source,cabling, amp and volume setting) the T50rp's detail retrieval wasn't really that far behind, the bass is of course nowhere nearly as satisfying, but overall the clarity difference wasn't as huge as I would have expected.
But then..... I realized the volume setting was not changed during the A/B'ing, which means I was listening to the 6se at much lower volume than the T50rp, and the 6se sound was more satisfying. This will likely save my hearing in the long run.

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #3,492 of 3,880
Those pieces of heatshrink are now the best parts on that terrible surgical tube cable 😂

Also, if you are curious what's under that tubing, here is your answer.

interesting! that post mentioned "stiff and microphonic" but the wire in my 6se cable is very soft. It looks to be 26 or 24awg, stranded ( very very fine strands), in clear insulation. Wire OD (including insulation) is about 0.8mm.

IMG_0923.JPG

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #3,493 of 3,880
interesting! that post mentioned "stiff and microphonic" but the wire in my 6se cable is very soft. It looks to be 26 or 24awg, stranded ( very very fine strands), in clear insulation. Wire OD (including insulation) is about 0.8mm.

IMG_0923.JPG
Good observation. I didn't realize the internal wires differed so much. The Edition XX cable has a similar diameter of about 0.9mm per wire but all the wires are silver vs the copper and silver combo of that one. However, that surgical tubing outer sleeve can go jump in a lake regardless. Don't know who sat in a design meeting and said "yeah, that is a great cable design that looks and feels premium" *smh

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #3,494 of 3,880
why is it called surgical tubing? It is not stretchy at all, has a slick/non-tacky surface, and the wall is very thin. Does anybody know what the originally intended purpose is? The sleeve can handle very high temperature (found that out when adding the heatshrinks).

I think it is good material for making electric static cables. I wish they have used this stuff in the sgl-jr cable instead of the generic techflex braid sleeve.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,495 of 3,880
why is it called surgical tubing? It is not stretchy at all, has a slick/non-tacky surface, and the wall is very thin. Does anybody know what the originally intended purpose is? The sleeve can handle very high temperature (found that out when adding the heatshrinks).

I think it is good material for making electric static cables. I wish they have used this stuff in the sgl-jr cable instead of the generic techflex braid sleeve.
Inserted in your veins it wouldn’t look out of place…that’s why. Don’t try…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back