Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 3, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,451 of 3,903
24 watts! That's nuts. I don't see how that can be reasonable. Is there any data to actually back this up? I'm not a big graph guy, but sometimes this all seems a little conspiracy theory-ish. Between $500 cables and 300 watt amps to run headphones, I'm a little skeptical.
Power is not just about watts, there is a lot more to it, including how that measurement/spec is generated.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,452 of 3,903
Just in case anyone was wondering... I'm using the Burson Audio Conductor 3x GT and it drives the HE6se v2 very very well... and I also use a complex EQ that seems to put the headphones on a different level as to dynamics with that Amp combo

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #3,453 of 3,903
It seem the price has dropped again on the V2 to just $400. https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?&emailprice=t

Crazy to think when I bought mine last year in July that I thought the price has bottomed out :sweat_smile:

Thanks a lot for the heads up! Just placed the order, simply could not resist.

Lets see if I get lucky with the He6SE's :thinking: ( what I saw inside the He560 v4 did not inspire much confidence in the hifiMan brand :worried: ).

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,454 of 3,903

Lets see if I get lucky with the He6SE's :thinking: ( what I saw inside the He560 v4 did not inspire much confidence in the hifiMan brand :worried: ).
LETS GO, GUYS AND GIRLS!
giphy.gif

3PasgVO.gif

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #3,456 of 3,903
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,457 of 3,903
It has only happened twice - both times, listening to "dynamic" music that's a lower source level than modern stuff (i.e. once on a record, and once on a CD from the early 90s), and a "swing" kicked it into protection. Simply turning it off and on again fixed everything just fine. I did blow an op-amp when listening to speakers, possibly shocking it like you did, and I had to send it back.

The point I was trying to make is that the HE6SE even makes 100wpc speaker amps pull serious juice.
Replying to this message from forever ago, I was recently listening to a live concert broadcast in realtime... the mix was questionable. I was using my OG HE6 with the Rag 2 at fun (probably too loud) listening volumes... EQing to boost bass. I tripped protection on the Rag 3-4 times trying to watch that show. Ended up having to drop the bass shelf EQ all together. Must have been some crazy low end in that live (not professionally mastered) mix.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #3,458 of 3,903
SO interestingly, I had been play with Audirvana, and then switched back to Music Bee. I adjusted some of the settings in Music Bee after getting used to Audirvana (for example, had no idea what ASIO and WASAPI were prior) and putting the stack in Wasapi exclusive mode in Music Bee really brought the headphones to life. Bass really picked up nicely. Enjoying these a bit more, and letting my LCD2 go instead.

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #3,459 of 3,903

Not comparable. 560 v4 lost the bass from v1 and the big drop starting at 80 Hz is very similar to the very bass shy 5 SE a supposed copy of the HE-5 or 5LE that's a fraud. It's a one sided planar so it lacks the depth and space of the 6 SE. Forget the bass, 6 SE all day over the v4. Also 6 SE is more technical. .its easier to listen with no EQ than the 560.

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #3,460 of 3,903
Replying to this message from forever ago, I was recently listening to a live concert broadcast in realtime... the mix was questionable. I was using my OG HE6 with the Rag 2 at fun (probably too loud) listening volumes... EQing to boost bass. I tripped protection on the Rag 3-4 times trying to watch that show. Ended up having to drop the bass shelf EQ all together. Must have been some crazy low end in that live (not professionally mastered) mix.
Were you in gain 3? If so that's loud. I never get out of gain 2, and my 6 SE v1 never did that. Might be the recording as you said.

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #3,461 of 3,903
Just in case anyone was wondering... I'm using the Burson Audio Conductor 3x GT and it drives the HE6se v2 very very well... and I also use a complex EQ that seems to put the headphones on a different level as to dynamics with that Amp combo
Complex EQ? Parametric or a 31 band fixed?

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #3,462 of 3,903
I've replaced the Topping A30Pro with a SMSL HO200. I like it better overall because it has more gain than the A30Pro and I like to listen loud. But until I started using a balanced dac there was line noise when the gain switch on the HO200 was set to the high position and I had to use a Jensen Transformers CI-2RR ISO-MAX Stereo Audio Hum/Buzz Eliminator/Isolator to get rid of the noise.
On first hearing, I like this low priced cable on amazon.com better than the stock cable for my HE6SE: FAAEL Sundara cable - amazon- under $20.
My favorite: GUCraftsman 6N all copper on amazon. Well worth the price to me. No dullness or haze and no harshness. Big improvement over the stock cables.
:)
Favorite pads for HE6SEV2: Verum perforated from Ukraine.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #3,463 of 3,903
I've replaced the Topping A30Pro with a SMSL HO200. I like it better overall because it has more gain than the A30Pro and I like to listen loud. But there is line noise when the gain is turned up high and I have to use a Jensen Transformers CI-2RR ISO-MAX Stereo Audio Hum/Buzz Eliminator/Isolator to get rid of it. Regardless of the line noise issue, .I don't like the overall sound of the HO200 without the Jensen. It's a bit brash for me. Maybe that is due to my noisy AC. Ideally, I'd hire an electrician to deal with it. In any event, the HO200 may be worth a try if you own the 6SEV2 and want to have a lot of gain and are on a tight budget.
I've got the do/ho200 combo. Mine doesn't have any noise, except with dbx 231s inline. That adds noise, but I swapped the unit out with a new one and that reduced it. Without the dbx, no noise, so you might have a bad unit. Compared to my LP stack, the HO DO stack is more analytical. Clean, but less musical. Good for traditional audiophiles.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #3,464 of 3,903
Were you in gain 3? If so that's loud. I never get out of gain 2, and my 6 SE v1 never did that. Might be the recording as you said.
I think that's backwards - the lower the gain, the more likely you are to trip protection as you have to crank the thing to get it going. Gain 3 is very loud, but it results in the steely "3.5W is fine" tone that everyone found acceptable since the Adorama fire sale (ok I'll stop), just much louder.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #3,465 of 3,903
Not comparable. 560 v4 lost the bass from v1 and the big drop starting at 80 Hz is very similar to the very bass shy 5 SE a supposed copy of the HE-5 or 5LE that's a fraud. It's a one sided planar so it lacks the depth and space of the 6 SE. Forget the bass, 6 SE all day over the v4. Also 6 SE is more technical. .its easier to listen with no EQ than the 560.

thanks, that is encouraging information.

My worry is mostly about the build quality ( which probably has more to do with the driver design itself) of low/mid level hifiMan. I took apart a 560V4 driver and was not very impressed by the way things were put together.

Anyway, the 6se will be in my hands in a few days, super excited to finally get to try it out :smile:

( hopefully this doesn't lead to a $1k OTL tube amp project, that will become really silly really fast...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back