Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 4, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,466 of 3,903
24 watts! That's nuts. I don't see how that can be reasonable. Is there any data to actually back this up? I'm not a big graph guy, but sometimes this all seems a little conspiracy theory-ish. Between $500 cables and 300 watt amps to run headphones, I'm a little skeptical.
you don't need 24watts - some people lack common sense. You need a good quality amp with good power supply and current delivery that can delivery a couple of quality watts max. For example, GSX drives HE6 just fine.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #3,467 of 3,903
I think that's backwards - the lower the gain, the more likely you are to trip protection as you have to crank the thing to get it going. Gain 3 is very loud, but it results in the steely "3.5W is fine" tone that everyone found acceptable since the Adorama fire sale (ok I'll stop), just much louder.
The Rag 1 and 2 put out much more power into a balanced load than SE and the output impedance is ( of the 1 .01 vs 3.3 with the SE). I use balanced cables on every can I have. My 6 SE is ~50 Ω which is 10 wpc at max gain which would be way loud for me. Gain 3 AFAIK is Class AB. Gain 1 seems to be all Class A and seems to be lacking a pre-amp gain stage since its muted at the extrenes. Gain 2 seems to be Class A for the full 4 wpc (the 2 is 1 wpc) then biases into AB which translates to all A for me since I don't go that loud.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #3,468 of 3,903
thanks, that is encouraging information.

My worry is mostly about the build quality ( which probably has more to do with the driver design itself) of low/mid level hifiMan. I took apart a 560V4 driver and was not very impressed by the way things were put together.

Anyway, the 6se will be in my hands in a few days, super excited to finally get to try it out :smile:

( hopefully this doesn't lead to a $1k OTL tube amp project, that will become really silly really fast...)
The 6 wouldn't get past a whisper on an OTL amp. They are for Senns and other high impedance cans. The 6 SE like all 6's wants as much SS current as you can get. Some hybrid and regular tubes at high cost might work but none would be OTL.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,469 of 3,903
The 6 wouldn't get past a whisper on an OTL amp. They are for Senns and other high impedance cans. The 6 SE like all 6's wants as much SS current as you can get. Some hybrid and regular tubes at high cost might work but none would be OTL.

i listen to my he6se through my iphone quite often... and i like it :astonished: as i did with my he-6og as well... dont disagree with you by the way regarding power. but i've honestly never heard my he-6 sound "bad" unless cranked super loud where extreme frequencies become uncomfortable anyway

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #3,470 of 3,903
i listen to my he6se through my iphone quite often... and i like it :astonished: as i did with my he-6og as well... dont disagree with you by the way regarding power. but i've honestly never heard my he-6 sound "bad" unless cranked super loud where extreme frequencies become uncomfortable anyway
Not a matter of bad, it's a matter of not good enough.

It simply won't blossom in the bass. HFM says 2 wpc @ 50 ohms is the minimum. I do not believe iphone gets there.

I just read no iPhone will play hi-res 192/24 - but only 24/48 - even using the Apple service that does have hi-res. If true it's a gyp. That sucks because I'm activating my new iPhone 13 today. Will have to get an ifi Zen for 192/24.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #3,471 of 3,903
Were you in gain 3? If so that's loud. I never get out of gain 2, and my 6 SE v1 never did that. Might be the reco
Not a matter of bad, it's a matter of not good enough.

It simply won't blossom in the bass. HFM says 2 wpc @ 50 ohms is the minimum. I do not believe iphone gets there.

I just read no iPhone will play hi-res 192/24 - but only 24/48 - even using the Apple service That does have hi-resm. If true it's a gyp. That sucks because I'm activating my iPhone 13 today. Will have to get an ifi Zen for 192/24.
iPhone can play hi res lossless with an external DAC... and you've needed an external DAC ever since the iPhone 7 dropped the headphone jack.

But yeah, the external DAC in the Apple Lightning/headphone dongle only supports 24/48. Still sounds great for $9.

I think some folks make decent high res portable DACs you can hook up with Lightning for 192khz? They cost a lot more than $9. :)

The good news is my old worn out ears only go up to 15-16khz. (I still bump up the sample rate on desktop because FOMO)

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #3,472 of 3,903
iPhone can play hi res lossless with an external DAC... and you've needed an external DAC ever since the iPhone 7 dropped the headphone jack.
that's good. The amount of "info" on iPhones that is contradictory is nuts. Thanks.
But yeah, the external DAC in the Apple Lightning/headphone dongle only supports 24/48. Still sounds great for $9.

I think some folks make decent high res portable DACs you can hook up with Lightning for 192khz? They cost a lot more than $9. :)
Desktop only and I have QOBUZ and TIDAL MQA which I got the key 1st unfold on my LG v40 which is dying - so the TIDAL is gone either way because my DAC no hables MQA, and I'm not changing it any time soon.
The good news is my old worn out ears only go up to 15-16khz. (I still bump up the sample rate on desktop
Yeah. I'm probably older. I figure I have a couple years left of hearing and caring either way.

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,473 of 3,903
that's good. The amount of "info" on iPhones that is contradictory is nuts. Thanks.

Desktop only and I have QOBUZ and TIDAL MQA which I got the key 1st unfold on my LG v40 which is dying - so the TIDAL is gone either way because my DAC no hables MQA, and I'm not changing it any time soon.

Yeah. I'm probably older. I figure I have a couple years left of hearing and caring either way.

I recently used iphone as my external dac (with iphone's camera lightening -> usb cable) and can be as good as any other computer source. I think I saw 192 khz in external dac display but I only use qobuz so cannot speak for dsd / other softwares.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,474 of 3,903
I recently used iphone as my external dac (with iphone's camera lightening -> usb cable) and can be as good as any other computer source. I think I saw 192 khz in external dac display but I only use qobuz so cannot speak for dsd / other softwares.
The app says 192 but that doesn't mean that's what you are getting.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #3,475 of 3,903
The 6 wouldn't get past a whisper on an OTL amp. They are for Senns and other high impedance cans. .....

hence the need of a special OTL amp. Two 6922 as input driving six 6as7g output tubes should do it. But whether it is worth the trouble to build such thing for a pair of (now) $400 phones..... who knows.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #3,476 of 3,903
hence the need of a special OTL amp. Two 6922 as input driving six 6as7g output tubes should do it. But whether it is worth the trouble to build such thing for a pair of (now) $400 phones..... who knows.
OTL amps as I understand them do not deliver.much current at low impedance. My BHCs OTL crushes very elite SSamps with the Senn 800S and 600 but all my HFM and former planars totaling 9 can't even get going. It's not pretty.

The SE might cost $400 but I'd rather listen to it than a LCD-2 or 3, Arya 1 or 2, Clear, Empy, and a whole lot more.

It's also the hardest to drive of any sanely priced headphones in terms of wpc. Look it up.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #3,477 of 3,903
you don't need 24watts - some people lack common sense. You need a good quality amp with good power supply and current delivery that can delivery a couple of quality watts max. For example, GSX drives HE6 just fine.
You need 24 watts although you won't use 'em. Ha.

Funny enough found myself comparing Rag 1 and CFA3. With a little magic sauce.
WP_20200130_07_51_50_Pro (2).jpg

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #3,478 of 3,903
Both. Uncomfortable after about an hour, but want something that looks nice as well
I did the Audeze carbon fiber headband mod.................forget where I got the rods/other part but worth the change. Looks good and comfort is awesome. After wearing out my next to last pair of Vegan pads I just got the Dekoni pads intended for the LCD series - come with double stick tape and I just stuck the HFM mounting ring on them and snapped into place. Love them so far - stiffer foam than the Vegans but like the firmness and I assume they will soften with time. Great headphone - my favorite of over 60 bought/tested/traded over the past 10 years.

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #3,479 of 3,903
You need 24 watts although you won't use 'em. Ha.

Funny enough found myself comparing Rag 1 and CFA3. With a little magic sauce.

Geez man. That’s 2.5k+ worth of tubes. That doesn’t look like a push pull 300B amplifier; could it be a dac with push pull output stage? If yes, that’s kind of crazy because you can run that tube config in a power amp and get like 24 watts out of it :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #3,480 of 3,903
Geez man. That’s 2.5k+ worth of tubes. That doesn’t look like a push pull 300B amplifier; could it be a dac with push pull output stage? If yes, that’s kind of crazy because you can run that tube config in a power amp and get like 24 watts out of it :beerchug:
That is a 300B DAC and there is a 300B pre up top also running a pair of Elrog.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back