Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,496 of 3,900
Because it looks like a used catheter :wink:

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3,499 of 3,900
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,500 of 3,900
I do wonder how hard it would be to just get some para cord and pull one end off of the Hifiman cable and sleeve it with the para cord.... its not that the cable sounds bad its that it feels like cat gut in your hands...

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #3,503 of 3,900
I only have enough braid to do the main cable, the 1/4" adapter is left stock.

the cable now looks pretty fat, but not stiff and not microphonic. Best yet, it no longer kinks easily.

IMG_0933.JPG

some observations during the process:
-- The OD of wire including insulation is ~0.8mm with the insulation measured ~0.4mm.
-- 26 strands per wire, plus some kind of synthtic fiber (for mechanical strength?). Strand OD is ~0.05mm (~44 awg); 26 strands put together is about 30 awg equ.
-- the strands are individually insulated, i.e. Litz wire. The enamel coating burns off with hot enough iron temp.
-- The wire looks to be pretty high quality, they probably picked this wire on purpose, it is not some random junk wire.

IMG_0931.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #3,504 of 3,900
There is a sheepskin and a velour - which ones are you enjoying?
Hybrid velour..............and as noted they are stiffer than the Vegans but still expect them to relax a bit. Really like the sheepskin but wanted a soft surface against my face. Not too stiff for my liking...........

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #3,505 of 3,900
I do wonder how hard it would be to just get some para cord and pull one end off of the Hifiman cable and sleeve it with the para cord.... its not that the cable sounds bad its that it feels like cat gut in your hands...
It sounds awful -IMO.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #3,506 of 3,900
and what findings do you have? Pardon if you've already done this.
Ragnarok does a good job of showing up, but the CFA3 really shows off at both ends.
The biggest difference is compared to all of the solid state I've heard, the CFA3 is brutally extended but silky smooth.
With most there is apparent grit and associated brightness to the contrary with CFA3 and a clear indication the spectacular GRLV power supply is doing heavy lifting.

WP_20200201_09_49_00_Rich.jpg

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #3,507 of 3,900
On first hearing, I like this low priced cable on amazon.com better than the stock cable for my HE6SE:

FAAEAL Replacement Cable for Hifiman SUNDARA Ananda,Upgrade Cable for Hifiman HE4XX/HE-400i/HE560/HE-350/HE1000 Headphones 2.5mm/3.5mm/4.4mm to Dual 3.5mm Jack Male Cord 1.45meters/4.7ft (4.4mm Jack)​

I hate to be in any stock cable vs replacement discussions, but it seems this faaeal cable does do a better job. Sounds almost as good as my another more expensive cable (coming with my another transaction in headfi. I myself would never buy a customized cable anyways).

Why? I guess it is either cable cross talk and the impedance might be different so it affects the a/b testing? Maybe I should really calibrate the sound level before testing....

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #3,508 of 3,900
So, the update no one asked for: after extended A/B between LCD2, and HE6se v2, I ultimately prefer the 6, so LCD2 going to ebay. I like it, but just don't need 2 open backs. As for monolith Liquid Platinum stack for smsl DO200/Ho200 stack, despite the proclamations that you need 427 watts to drive these headphones properly, while the LP has more power, I actually prefer the more analytical sound of the SMSL stack. I even traded things around to try each stack together, and then separately, meaning trading dacs and amp connections around, and the SMSL drives the HE6 just fine. I found that switching from Musicbee to Roon made far more difference than going back and forth between the amps and dacs, which was pretty subtle. So keeping the SMSL and either selling or returning the LP stack, along with LCD2 and Bravado mkii. All good stuff, but not to my preferences as much as the other stuff I already have. That was an expensive rabbit hole.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #3,509 of 3,900
Hybrid velour..............and as noted they are stiffer than the Vegans but still expect them to relax a bit. Really like the sheepskin but wanted a soft surface against my face. Not too stiff for my liking...........
Sorry, which vegan pads are you referring to? I have the Dekoni Velour for hifiman, but don't love how stiff they are. I'm actually a vegan, so lambskin is no bueno for me, but these ones aren't my endgame.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #3,510 of 3,900
On first hearing, I like this low priced cable on amazon.com better than the stock cable for my HE6SE: FAAEL Sundara cable - amazon- under $20.
Love me some Arctic grills and the GUCraftsman 6N single crystal copper cable at amazon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back