Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #766 of 3,887
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the Adorama deal for this (for $699). It is odd their website says it is closed back. Surely that is a typo, right?

Regardless, my DAC/AMP right now is the Chord Mojo. Do you think that is power enough to drive the HE6-SE well?

Nope.. the Mojo couldn't even drive my HE-560V1 correctly.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #768 of 3,887
ok, thanks, guess its time for me to look for a powerful desktop dac/amp.

Yup, or even just an AMP since the Mojo is a pretty great DAC. The amp section is decent for easier to drive headphones but not planars in my experience. It sounded pretty good on an LCD3F though but these Hifimans specifically are way harder to drive.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #769 of 3,887
Screenshot_20201130-091927_Outlook.jpg

Yeah it's very confusing indeed as this is what they have replied me through email. But several members here have said that they are open back like the v1

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #770 of 3,887

Yeah it's very confusing indeed as this is what they have replied me through email. But several members here have said that they are open back like the v1

hmmmm.... yeah......

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #771 of 3,887

I dont believe they actually know what they have. I have a pair in hand ordered that were open. But yes the cup colors are a bit different and headband was changed vs V1. Except hes saying only the color and headband changed... but the V1 was open, so then what is the answer? They have a great 30 day return policy so just take a dive if you dont trust us and lean on the return policy.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #772 of 3,887
I dont believe they actually know what they have. I have a pair in hand ordered that were open. But yes the cup colors are a bit different and headband was changed vs V1. Except hes saying only the color and headband changed... but the V1 was open, so then what is the answer? They have a great 30 day return policy so just take a dive if you dont trust us and lean on the return policy.

Are they comfortable?

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #774 of 3,887

This is where we need a LOL emoji on Head-fi, next to the like button.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #776 of 3,887
I got asked to compare my ZMF VC's with my newly arrived OPEN BACK Adorama $699 Hifiman 6SE's. Per request I used this song:
This is a very brief comparison but should give you a general idea of what I heard.
With this song the 6se's are the better headphones but they do require about twice as much juice as the ZMF's. My main comparison started with the Bryston BHA-1 as the amp, RME ADI-2 DAC , and Amazon HD through my pc feeding THE DAC via USB.

In comparison the 6se's have the better sound-stage, details, treble and bass. Mids are a toss up. The 6se's gave this song the grandeur that it needs, it just reproduces it in what I would imagine the original intent was. Vocals may sound a bit better on the CV's, but not the general atmosphere and delivery of the song, that's all 6se. With the CV's one feels as if they are further back in the hall, with the SE's one feels as if they are in the first row, even with adjustments for volume.
Don't get me wrong, the ZMF's are excellent headphones and the song is quite enjoyable on them. Also, we are comparing an open vs a closed headphone as well as a Planar vs a Dynamic, with different tuning philosophies.
I just think that the HiFiman 6se's handle this song better.

Using a couple of my other amps with the 6se's, the Monoprice Monolith tube Amp handled the 6se quite nicely as well. My wife is watching TV so I didn't want to power it up to ear splitting levels, but I thought it was fine for general listening levels. The tubes gave the song a bit more warmth without taking anything away.
Ditto with the very affordable Drop THX amp, actually that one seemed to improve the mids somewhat and had more power. I remember the original Hifiman 6 needing more power than the 6se's.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #777 of 3,887
Just received the HE6se V2 and i can confirm that the driver and and the look inside is exactly like the V1 but it doesnt sound the same ,not sure yet what is the difference maybe unite variation, but i like my V1 more.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #779 of 3,887
Impedance: 50Ohm

Sensitivity: 83.5dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back