Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #737 of 3,903
Listening to the new one right now, just came in today.

Overall I like the new headband better than the previous one. It has cup swivel for those wondering, very similar to how Focal does it. Maybe 20 degrees of pivot. Had them on for maybe two hours, no hot spots, no real issues except the stock pads, they don't feel that great.

First impressions are pretty strong. This is my first time hearing them stock.

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #738 of 3,903
Listening to the new one right now, just came in today.

Overall I like the new headband better than the previous one. It has cup swivel for those wondering, very similar to how Focal does it. Maybe 20 degrees of pivot. Had them on for maybe two hours, no hot spots, no real issues except the stock pads, they don't feel that great.

First impressions are pretty strong. This is my first time hearing them stock.
Do they have clamping issues? I have the deva, which uses the exact same headband, and it has little to no clamping force. If I move my head just a little bit they feel like they're gonna fall off.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #740 of 3,903
It's really rock solid on definition and stuff I care about like overtones. Bass is very good, not technicolored like the HE-6 can be at times. If it had the headspace like my modded HE-500's I wouldn't be so hot for the Susvara.

The other day in the Arya thread I mentioned they along with the HEK v2 were better than the Arya, and an Arya owner was surprised about my 6se opinion. I'd like to have both - but if left with one or the other I'll take the 6se. I would take the HEK v2 over both however - easily.
IIRC in an earlier reply you said the size of magnet is different between SE and OG HE6? Any proof of that?

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #741 of 3,903
IIRC in an earlier reply you said the size of magnet is different between SE and OG HE6? Any proof of that?

I did say that about the HE5se, I do not recall saying that about the 6se. I have talked about the change in pads, material used for the body, cable, membrane, headband making a big difference in the sound. The traces, stator, rear screen appear unchanged.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #742 of 3,903
Do they have clamping issues? I have the deva, which uses the exact same headband, and it has little to no clamping force. If I move my head just a little bit they feel like they're gonna fall off.

This. While not the same headband, I returned my HE-5XX for the same reason. Way too loose fitting for me with a non-existent clamp force and cups too low on my head even at the smallest headband setting.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #743 of 3,903

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_151052.jpg
    IMG_20201123_151052.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #744 of 3,903
got mine today, looks like they removed all the dampening, and swapped the headband is the only difference from the original he6se. now to figure out what pad route im going to go...

is there a "warmest" pads I can go with? Just ordered some rings so may see if any of the ZMF pads I currently own work well with them if I can figure out anything.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #745 of 3,903
got mine today, looks like they removed all the dampening, and swapped the headband is the only difference from the original he6se. now to figure out what pad route im going to go...

is there a "warmest" pads I can go with? Just ordered some rings so may see if any of the ZMF pads I currently own work well with them if I can figure out anything.
I've got the ZMF Autuer perforated suede pads on my HE500, they are quite similar to the Audeze suede pads that people used to love on the HE500/HE6

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #746 of 3,903

My current favorite pad is the Ether 2 stock pleather pad. The adhesive surface makes for a complete seal and its the perfect size. The pads are firm and retain great bass extension and impact. I was able to pick them up when they were on sale a month or so ago for 60ish dollars, still on the high side, but better than $90. I am using these on original HE6, but also loved them on the HE6SE I previously owned.

So when you take off the back ring you are saying there is no damping material behind it? I do not remember if the HE6SEv1had any damping on the back side of the driver?

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #747 of 3,903
My current favorite pad is the Ether 2 stock pleather pad. The adhesive surface makes for a complete seal and its the perfect size. The pads are firm and retain great bass extension and impact. I was able to pick them up when they were on sale a month or so ago for 60ish dollars, still on the high side, but better than $90. I am using these on original HE6, but also loved them on the HE6SE I previously owned.

So when you take off the back ring you are saying there is no damping material behind it? I do not remember if the HE6SEv1had any damping on the back side of the driver?
Yep. Here is a picture completely stock. Just removed the ring/grill.

Also appreciate the ether reco. Will add to the list.
20201124_155428.jpg

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #748 of 3,903
Put in my order for the HE6se V2's. I sold my V1's after owning them twice. I have the FocusPad A's and I have a set of the Ether 2 pads I could try once they come in. I'm using the suede pads on my Ether 2's at the moment.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #749 of 3,903
I did say that about the HE5se, I do not recall saying that about the 6se. I have talked about the change in pads, material used for the body, cable, membrane, headband making a big difference in the sound. The traces, stator, rear screen appear unchanged.
Sorry I probably remembered it wrong. I myself have a 4 screw HE6, brought em to a meet and AB'd an HE6SE. The SE doesn't slam as hard as the OG 6, but the difference, all things considered, is not that big.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #750 of 3,903
Sorry I probably remembered it wrong. I myself have a 4 screw HE6, brought em to a meet and AB'd an HE6SE. The SE doesn't slam as hard as the OG 6, but the difference, all things considered, is not that big.

Well I have much more time on the 6 screw. Probably 30 hours, and I'd say about 100 times on a sharp rise bass note, at 95 db peak levels my eyes snapped shut involuntarily - it must be said I was looking for those notes. Never once on my 6se. I agree the 6se bass is good, Probably better timbre, balance, and image size.then the 6 screw. I heard the 4 screw just a couple of hours and I didn't put it through the same torture test but it seemed similar to the 6 screw except the treble which was hotter. 6se bass is better than HEX, HEK v1, HEK v2, Ananda, 500, 560, Arya - so its good, just not as good (same system on all 3 BTW).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back