Hifiman HE6-SE
Mar 6, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #1,381 of 3,903
making sure i got this right before i plug in the headphones to the taps. so i plug one side to the left and the other side to the right?

On the left hand side of your picture, the red pair to one side (usually right), and the black pair to the left.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,382 of 3,903
okay.

1614833689419.png

All measurements are using the honeycomb ebay grill.

Black - Stock Pali Pads
Green - Dekoni TH600 Elite Hybrids
Red - Deafen Hybrid
Blue - Dekoni Hifiman Elite Leather

Also note, I use the Hifiman Focus Pads, and they measure nearly identical to the default Pali Pads. I prefer the Focus pads for comfort -- they are less itchy!

I did do some more measurements using various ZMF pads before I sold them, but they just made the dip worse, and ruined the treble or mids. These were the pads made for his Verite, which are larger diameter, so the pads didn't fit super well either. (i.e. Universe pads, Verite pads, BE2 pads)
mind giving the link to the Deafen Hybrid pads?

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,383 of 3,903
Mar 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,384 of 3,903
making sure i got this right before i plug in the headphones to the taps. so i plug one side to the left and the other side to the right?

It looks like you're going to plug it into a single-ended headphone jack. Just make sure your amp is sharing ground otherwise, it may cause problems. Many modern amps dont share ground for speaker terminals. Its safer to use balanced when using speaker taps from what I understand.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,385 of 3,903
It looks like you're going to plug it into a single-ended headphone jack. Just make sure your amp is sharing ground otherwise, it may cause problems. Many modern amps dont share ground for speaker terminals. Its safer to use balanced when using speaker taps from what I understand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CMW4Q8N/

Sorry i spelled the brand name wrong. It's Defean
Thanks. Found them on Amazon but didn't know exactly which one it was.

Well it worked and didn't melt the hp. Lol. It's the marants 5002 from '09, I guess it shared a common ground. Gonna go balanced anyways but the couple is on back order till apr-may

Man do these things take a lot of power. It safe to say that these things can easily take 90-100 wpc @8ohms with no worries

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,386 of 3,903
1615146760200.png

The next chapter begins.
Jotunheim 2 is out for repairs. Parasound ZAMP v3 is out.

In is the Audiolab 6000A Play. It’s a new integrated amp with 50W at 8 Ohm along with Play-Fi capability, dedicated DAC (Sabre 9018K2M), and surprisingly a dedicated headphone amp section that has lowish impedance (2 ohms).

The next surprise, it is dead silent via headphones output with IEMs and speaker terminals with the Hifiman HE6SE. Not a single sound at all on either. Super shocked.

It sounds quite good to be honest. It has a well-balanced signature, that isn’t too bright and mid-range focused, and has a good low-end that isnt overly exaggerated but definitely present. It’s less warm than the ZAMP, which I thought was a bit too low-mid forward and lacking clarity and stage.

This one checks a lot of boxes for me, and it has a digital volume control by remote.

The DAC, despite being ESS Sabre 9018, is quite nice sounding to be honest. I don’t hear the infamous sterile and bright sabre glare. It’s the best 9018 implementation I’ve heard… using it with the Slow filter via Optical to my Desktop.

For the most part, the amp’s internal DAC is a touch brighter and lean than the Bifrost 2’s, which is warmer. Ok, now i’m reviewing the amp and not the headphones.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,387 of 3,903
I have been really happy with two Zamps v3. I went from using the HE6 with the Liquid Gold X, then one Zamp, then two in mono. Each step was a pretty noticeable improvement. The LGX had distortion in high gain, then one Zamp a little bit noise but no distortion, with an overall improvement over the LGX. With two Zamps there is almost no noise and the bass becomes really impactful. I don't have any complicates with two Zamps running the HE6.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,388 of 3,903
Made a new design since the old one was a bit flimsy. Anyone knows which headband assembly works for the he6se without changing the cups?

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpeg
    IMG_5340.jpeg
    900.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,389 of 3,903
Made a new design since the old one was a bit flimsy. Anyone knows which headband assembly works for the he6se without changing the cups?

I wish I can get a carbon fiber oem for it, like the one for Audeze. Anyone knows?

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #1,390 of 3,903
My 4 screw HE-6 has the Audeze Carbon headband on it but you can't just take the old one off and put the Audeze on. There's a bit of work involved.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,391 of 3,903
Not that easy to get the full assembly in the first place is it? I've only managed to find the headband

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,392 of 3,903
And they told me (HFM Customer Service) that the $125 headband on the HFM site would NOT work on the V2 HE-6SE............................

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #1,393 of 3,903
Is this 3d printed? Looks nice! A headband I've been thinking about is a Dan Clark Audio one from the ether line, the cups look like they may be very close in physical size. I have the ether CX and I absolutely love the comfort of that headband. Not sure how it would work as the cups from the HE-6SE seem heavier, but if I can get my hands on one I may try it.

And they told me (HFM Customer Service) that the $125 headband on the HFM site would NOT work on the V2 HE-6SE............................
I just asked them the same thing. It makes me wonder if it physically doesn't fit, or they just say that because the way it attaches may be different? I'd like to do something that isn't permanent of course that way if there's ever a warranty issue or something I could switch it back. I assume this is the one you asked about? https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hybrid-headband.html

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #1,394 of 3,903
Is this 3d printed? Looks nice! A headband I've been thinking about is a Dan Clark Audio one from the ether line, the cups look like they may be very close in physical size. I have the ether CX and I absolutely love the comfort of that headband. Not sure how it would work as the cups from the HE-6SE seem heavier, but if I can get my hands on one I may try it.

Yes, I've tried a few different pattern, I probably like this one the best. Not sure about the color. It seems to be difficult to source the ether assembly as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    871.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,395 of 3,903
Yes, I've tried a few different pattern, I probably like this one the best. Not sure about the color. It seems to be difficult to source the ether assembly as well.
If you could find a way to produce these, I’d be interested in a set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back