Hifiman HE6-SE
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,351 of 3,881
I got the adorama h6se v2 deal. And moved the old filters on the original grill onto my ebay honeycomb filters with some stick-glue.

I also ordered a FluxLab Fa-10 (classical version, not nuetral pro version) amp to run it in the future. (16watts @32)

I feel like I got the deal of my life.

I like the medical tube cable, really easy to coil away. And slips into the headphone 3.5mm slot so smoothly.

These completely have taken over for my eq'd hd800S.
Nice, those are the same grills I have on mine. They are a great sounding headphone. Definitely a different sound than the HD800S’s, which I own as well.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,353 of 3,881
Can anyone comment on tonal differences between V1 and V2?

Headband is the Diva one now (not the hybrid one with leather suspension strap), color is dark blue not black, and apparently the 1-2k dip that was problematic for some on the V1 is significantly tamed.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,354 of 3,881
Headband is the Diva one now (not the hybrid one with leather suspension strap), color is dark blue not black, and apparently the 1-2k dip that was problematic for some on the V1 is significantly tamed.
Excellent, thanks. Regarding the dip around 1-2k: I wasn't goung through all those posts here. Did someone measure that difference with the same pads on or is it "just" your subjective impression?

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,355 of 3,881
Excellent, thanks. Regarding the dip around 1-2k: I wasn't goung through all those posts here. Did someone measure that difference with the same pads on or is it "just" your subjective impression?
Repost from a diff place:

Hifiman HE6SE v2 first impressions

20210105_192951

Ran ok at 100% volume on my Samsung Galaxy S10e.

My preferred listening volume on Topping A90 was at medium gain and maybe 65% knob or high gain at 50% on balanced.

It ran on Feliks Elise OTL at 60% for me. Sounded a little deeper in subbass and zingy up top with this.

I'll get the Jotunheim 2 in tomorrow.

Vs Arya:
More natural timbre and mids.
Smoother treble. Actually very smooth treble for a hifiman!
Less subbass , but punchier midbass.
Resolution similar.
Much more forward sounding midrange.

To most headphones, this would sound open and large but vs Arya, it sounds more intimate and forward

Arya sounds more diffuse and airier but with more low end rumble.

Weights:
HE6SE v2: 515 grams
Arya: 410 grams

Weight isn’t a big prob surprisingly. My normal weight limit is like 460g. The headband does have a hot weight spot right in the center though.

Pads are kinda itchy. Need to replace asap.

Cable is hilarious.

Ok squiggles:

Taken from a clone 43AG and using a comp file from Crinacle…it has some variance in the upper mids 1-6K by maybe +/- 2 dB from headphone to headphone vs real GRAS.in this area. Also these are smoothed out using psychoacoustic smoothing…

Hifiman_HE6SE_v2

Vs Arya

Hifiman_HE6se_vs_arya

As you see, less bright and smoother than arya but arya has that canadian subbass that I like.

Ok vs Ant target:

unknown-1

And finally, played around with EQ a little bit:

Red Line is the simulated graph. Gray dashed line is my preference target. Purple dotted line is the original FR.

1610004897196.png

Ok, so I got Oratory's HE6SE v1, Crinacle's HE6 6-screw raw datas, and plotted them vs my HE6SE v2 data. Just note, I am using the cloned fake GRAS 43AG coupler.... and using a compensation file crin gave me (which has some repeatability issues?), so take with grains of salt.

unknown.png
green = HE6 | purple = HE6se v1 | blue = HE6se v2

Antroid posted a fr comparison graph and other thoughts earlier in the thread that are helpful. I don't believe the differences between V1 and V2 are as pronounced as the graph may make them seem, but I only listened to the V1 briefly a while ago. That's just my 2 cents.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,356 of 3,881
Antroid posted a fr comparison graph and other thoughts earlier in the thread that are helpful. I don't believe the differences between V1 and V2 are as pronounced as the graph may make them seem, but I only listened to the V1 briefly a while ago. That's just my 2 cents.

Antdroid 2nd graph for without the grill, shown a further flatter 700hz-2khz can be done. So more benefit their too.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,357 of 3,881
What I would really like to see are some graphs or some impressions on the differences between popular pad mods. Thinking about ordering some Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads (TH-900 or HE6 pads? idk) or maybe just the hybrid elite pads.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,358 of 3,881
What I would really like to see are some graphs or some impressions on the differences between popular pad mods. Thinking about ordering some Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads (TH-900 or HE6 pads? idk) or maybe just the hybrid elite pads.

I just bought the Dekoni Elite Velour for my HE 500. Compared to the original Hifiman Velour pads they sound dull overall, clarity and separation is worse and the bass gets washed out. Soundstage gets claustrophobically narrow. Definitely would not recommend even if they are much more comfortable than hifiman velour or Beyer velour.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,359 of 3,881
I got the adorama h6se v2 deal. And moved the old filters on the original grill onto my ebay honeycomb filters with some stick-glue.

I also ordered a FluxLab Fa-10 (classical version, not nuetral pro version) amp to run it in the future. (16watts @32)

I feel like I got the deal of my life.

I like the medical tube cable, really easy to coil away. And slips into the headphone 3.5mm slot so smoothly.

These completely have taken over for my eq'd hd800S.
That looks awesome, I think I prefer the look with some sort of mesh vs just the honeycomb, glue stick is a good idea! Was there any fitment issues on the grilles, or do they fit perfect with the trim rings?

Definitely let us know what you think about running them off the FA-10 once you get it.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,360 of 3,881
That looks awesome, I think I prefer the look with some sort of mesh vs just the honeycomb, glue stick is a good idea! Was there any fitment issues on the grilles, or do they fit perfect with the trim rings?

Definitely let us know what you think about running them off the FA-10 once you get it.

I just lightly tapped the honeycomb grill to get it sticky without crusting it with any solid glue stick residue. And when removing the filter from original grill, it did go out of shape slightly but it did fight me to conform onto the new grill. It fit.

But I had to tap extra glue stick around the sides to stick to the sides it in the end. Them the plastic ring held it in place.

Took all 5 to 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,362 of 3,881
Got my JLH 1969 clone, honestly prefer the Asgard 3 to it I think, they're really close and I could recommend either, but Asgard doesn't need to be run off speaker taps

There is a JLH 1969 headphone clone but I have not figured out the output power spec....

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #1,364 of 3,881

okay.

1614833689419.png

All measurements are using the honeycomb ebay grill.

Black - Stock Pali Pads
Green - Dekoni TH600 Elite Hybrids
Red - Deafen Hybrid
Blue - Dekoni Hifiman Elite Leather

Also note, I use the Hifiman Focus Pads, and they measure nearly identical to the default Pali Pads. I prefer the Focus pads for comfort -- they are less itchy!

I did do some more measurements using various ZMF pads before I sold them, but they just made the dip worse, and ruined the treble or mids. These were the pads made for his Verite, which are larger diameter, so the pads didn't fit super well either. (i.e. Universe pads, Verite pads, BE2 pads)

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #1,365 of 3,881
okay.

All measurements are using the honeycomb ebay grill.

Black - Stock Pali Pads
Green - Dekoni TH600 Elite Hybrids
Red - Deafen Hybrid
Blue - Dekoni Hifiman Elite Leather

Also note, I use the Hifiman Focus Pads, and they measure nearly identical to the default Pali Pads. I prefer the Focus pads for comfort -- they are less itchy!

I did do some more measurements using various ZMF pads before I sold them, but they just made the dip worse, and ruined the treble or mids. These were the pads made for his Verite, which are larger diameter, so the pads didn't fit super well either. (i.e. Universe pads, Verite pads, BE2 pads)
What pads would you say you like the best on them personally? I've heard great things about the Dekoni THxxx Hybrids myself, considering grabbing a pair, haven't pad rolled myself though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back