= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #721 of 1,710
Quote:
The 6kHz is actually a dip in the FR, not related to the ear canal. Ditto with the ~15kHz valley.

The ~7.5kHz one on the other hand is ear-related, and doesn't show up in measurements.

Should've looked at the graph. Anyway, isn't it wrong to EQ down that resonanse in the ears, since they are always there, also when you don't wear headphones, or am I mistaken?

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #722 of 1,710
Quote:
Should've looked at the graph. Anyway, isn't it wrong to EQ down that resonanse in the ears, since they are always there, also when you don't wear headphones, or am I mistaken?

Oh by 7.5kHz I mean more around 8.3kHz, basically there is a sharp dip there from the headphones to my ears that I accommodated with the peak in the EQ there.

The "dip" at 7.5kHz is really just nothing, means that area has just the right amount of loudness relative to the overall vol. Pay attention to areas in my EQ that move away from the centerline as those are the corrections.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #724 of 1,710
My Jergpad experience has been that it's sorta like a hybrid of the pleather and velour. The pleather to me has a cleaner midrange, while the velour is more open sounding when it comes to bass, and more comfortable (less sweaty). The Jergpads seems to have both good qualities, without the cons of either the pleathers or the velours. I only did the core damping mod and the velour top mod. Going to do the bass-adhesion mod sometime next week.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #725 of 1,710
July 30, 2013 revision of the parametric EQ for modulor jergpadded HE500s:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/azdmgcvtj7cf5iy/Jul_30_2013_param_EQ_for_modulor_jergpad_he500.e-q

*tweaked the overall upper end levels relative to midrange and bass, put some work into EQing the upper treble region, carefully tweaked the mid-midrange area balance (previous version sounded too shouty).

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #727 of 1,710
Quote:
Everything looks alright, but that attenuation between 200 and 1000 looks very drastic. That'll definitely significantly color the timbre of drums, whose 2nd and 3rd order harmonics are in the mids.

It's debatable.

I'm EQing it down because there seems to be some ringing between 400-650 Hz inherent to HE500's drivers; that is NOT reflected as a hill in the frequency response measurements, but I perceive extra volume there due to the ringing. The EQ down helps ameliorate it.

Without the EQ there it's still fine, just that on some tracks with tons of filters that introduce excess harmonics in that frequency range (e.g. this track) and on loud volumes, it's apparent.

I think this "issue" with the HE500's lower midrange is paradoxically what that contributes to its "bloomed" midrange characteristics, as vocal music with this slow decay in the 500 Hz region gets really lush and musical. Case in point - if I temporarily reverse the EQ around 400-650 Hz, vocal music become a lot more intimate and up-close.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #728 of 1,710
The NFB11.32 REALLY doesn't like Electri-Q...the equalization plugin causes the DAC to occasionally just play loud static instead of music. Guess I'm forced to revert to no EQ for the time being.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #730 of 1,710
Quote:
That's a bummer...what input method are you using?

USB 32-bit. You mean output methods? I've tried everything, DirectSound, WASAPI (event or push), KernelStreaming, ASIO. The 11.32 just seems to be incompatible with Electri-Q.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #731 of 1,710
Quote:
USB 32-bit. You mean output methods? I've tried everything, DirectSound, WASAPI (event or push), KernelStreaming, ASIO. The 11.32 just seems to be incompatible with Electri-Q.

Well, I was speculating that it may be a DAC processing issue, as I heard some users were having S/PDIF input issues with this Compass 2 and other models before.  I'll have to look to see if there are known Electri-Q compatibility issues, specifically with audio-gd devices.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #732 of 1,710
Does Electri-Q require the use of a wrapper?  If so, I wonder it that software component might be the culprit?  Or, possibly, there's a newer download of the wrapper that can be used?

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #733 of 1,710
Quote:
Does Electri-Q require the use of a wrapper?  If so, I wonder it that software component might be the culprit?  Or, possibly, there's a newer download of the wrapper that can be used?

I believe there is a VST wrapper plugin to get it working with Foobar, so you may be right on the money there.  It's been a while since I set it up.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #735 of 1,710
Quote:
Yeah there are a couple of VST wrappers for Foobar. I think the popular one is George Yohng's one, but there is another I recall. I think it had some issues though...

I indeed used the George Yohng wrapper. But I dunno, it's not like the EQ is mandatory, the cans sound fine without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back