= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #482 of 1,710
Quote:
Perhaps. What software do you use for it? Can it just be derived from the impulse response (which I have) ?

No idea, you might wanna consult this thread about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #483 of 1,710
Quote:
PM me your info, so we can work something out.  I've already done it on mine and it's a world of difference and I'd love to help.

Thanks for the offer to help a not so handy fellow headfi'er..
biggrin.gif

u got a pm..
thanks again mate!

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #486 of 1,710
Quote:
Doing some pad measurements today. Haven't processed the results yet. Did stock pleather, stock velour for 5 x 60 second Sine sweeps and will average them. Just got my J$ pads but didn't have any glue or material for the driver-covering nylon, so I still have to measure those. As well as Jergpad stages I, II, III and IV
biggrin.gif

Very cool picture.  I'm calling it "Mr. Van Gogh in his lab"

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #487 of 1,710
Jerg,

Silly question for you. Could you cut a section of the hard foam ring that was removed in step #2 of Part 1 and use that in stead of the stacks of tape for Part 2 the back vent mod? The cut section would be retucked in the same location as the tape stacks. Would it not achieve the same results without venting? Might result in a cleaner look and help Part 4 more by completing the seal.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #488 of 1,710
Quote:
Jerg,

Silly question for you. Could you cut a section of the hard foam ring that was removed in step #2 of Part 1 and use that in stead of the stacks of tape for Part 2 the back vent mod? The cut section would be retucked in the same location as the tape stacks. Would it not achieve the same results without venting? Might result in a cleaner look and help Part 4 more by completing the seal.

Anything rubbery that keeps its thickness well under pressure over time would be ok. If you just cut out rectangles from the hard foam that'd be a bit too thick though, maybe half the thickness would be good.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #489 of 1,710
Quote:
Anything rubbery that keeps its thickness well under pressure over time would be ok. If you just cut out rectangles from the hard foam that'd be a bit too thick though, maybe half the thickness would be good.

Just to clarify, I meant to retuck it between the ring and pleather pad. Not the ring and drivers.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #490 of 1,710
Quote:

Just to clarify, I meant to retuck it between the ring and pleather pad. Not the ring and drivers.

Not a great idea IMO; I tried that a long time ago and all it did was compress the foam inside the earpad, rather than gently lifting the section of the earpad. Bad for comfort, and no benefit to the SQ.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #491 of 1,710
Any white pleather pads that are the same as stock pleather? Also, any baby blue velour that will work with step 3?

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #493 of 1,710
Very cool picture.  I'm calling it "Mr. Van Gogh in his lab"
LOL! Just remembered he was the dude who cut his ear off... :D

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #494 of 1,710
I got some CSDs of a single velour measurement and a single pleather measurement... note that I say single. I did 5 of each but didn't have the time at my MATLAB PC to go through and average the readings. There are likely issues with these single readings so don't take too much from them. In particular, feel free to discount the low frequencies because that could just have been a truck driving past. I didn't really match up the impulse timing either so the two aren't really calibrated against the other. Anyhow, pics.

HE-400 with velour pads.

HE-400 with pleather pads.

I'll make the data available when I'm done so other people can try messing around with them.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #495 of 1,710
Quote:
I got some CSDs of a single velour measurement and a single pleather measurement... note that I say single. I did 5 of each but didn't have the time at my MATLAB PC to go through and average the readings. There are likely issues with these single readings so don't take too much from them. In particular, feel free to discount the low frequencies because that could just have been a truck driving past. I didn't really match up the impulse timing either so the two aren't really calibrated against the other. Anyhow, pics.

HE-400 with velour pads.

HE-400 with pleather pads.

I'll make the data available when I'm done so other people can try messing around with them.

Looks cool! Yea they need some work averaging and matching up. Still a few observations can be drawn (purely in terms of the relative differences between the measurements of the two pad types, rather than absolute values).

The dip around 2kHz with pleathers are reflected here, as are the more prominent upper midrange with pleathers, relative to velours.

Wondering if that huge ringing ridge around 700 Hz is responsible for any detrimental effects (e.g. midrange glare), if it's a HE400 driver "thing" or an earpad "thing".

By the way what compensation did you use? The significant upper midrange dip associated with HE400 is not reflected in these plots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back