= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Mar 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #436 of 1,710
Wow, I just finished Parts 2 and 4 and whether it's those or the 12 hours of brown noise I played through these today the difference is incredible.  Melodie Gardot's breath is tickling my earlobes :wink:  Gonna do the velour pads here in a couple.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #437 of 1,710
I've done a lot more listening since doing the sub bass mod, and I really think now that jerg you've stumbled on a gold mine with this one. Bass is really low reaching, more so than i remember with my previous velour pads. It's quite amazing really, flicking through my hip hop songs really brings joy, it extends down so well and just seems to have more body.

I really think that for people who don't want to try the whole jergpad mod, they should at least try the sub bass mod as it doesn't require any irreversible changes, just some tape.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #438 of 1,710
Maybe the vent mod too?

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #441 of 1,710
Totally agree with you @beaver316 the bass is crazy low now.  I did the 10Hz >> 200Hz sweep on this page http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php before and after and the difference is quite noticeable, before any of the mods I could hear the tone just as he was finishing saying 20Hz now I can hear it just as he starts to say 20.  I have 37 year old abused ears too, the top end tests make me cry because I can't hear anything over about 16KHz, so younger people may be able to hear even lower than I can.

I really noticed a huge difference in sound with the damping cutouts, but now I'm curious to hear what they would sound like with just the two bass mods mentioned, I think the mids would still be a little muddied due to the resonances.  Overall I'm really stoked that I found this mod and decided to do it, I'm definitely going to enjoy these cans for quite some time now.  I am curious as to how the double sided tape is going to hold up on the velour pads though, I'm thinking that fabric stores sell cloth double sided tape which should be softer and more durable to sweat, oil and movement.  I may try that out next.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #442 of 1,710
So intresting. I've print the mod instruction out to have clear understanding about the mod ... :). Thanks Jerg 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #445 of 1,710
Quote:
Purrin was able to measure the pads!

Measurements and comments are added at the end of first post.

A pat on the back for you jerg. Way to go mate. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'd like to see the effect of those pads on the HE-6... 

I liked it better than the stock pleather pads. :p

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #446 of 1,710
I did my share of Jergpads just now. I'll explain in each picture what I did. I did up to the 2nd version of Jergpads

^ As you can see, Velour VS Jergpads. Look at that venting, you can see through it almost

^ Another side-by-side

^ Left is Jergpad, right is Velour. Instead of putting more tape, you can see I used less. The tape I used is the 3M double-sided car tape. It is a sticky, rubbery compound. I used it because I was too lazy to stack all the electrical tapes to make it thick, so I used the grey tape as a shortcut and worked for me.

^ As you can see, I used one layer of the 3M double-sided sticky car tape and one layer of electrical tape in order to refrain the car tape from sticking.

^ There you have it, a slightly revised version of the Jergpad, but for a lazy me. Essentially the same mods, with a few exceptions.

Cheers Jerg!

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #448 of 1,710
I think there is more to it than the graph shows, though. Looking at the graph it is really minor changes. Maybe you should include the stock pleather pad CSD too, or isn't it available?

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #449 of 1,710
Quote:
I think there is more to it than the graph shows, though. Looking at the graph it is really minor changes. Maybe you should include the stock pleather pad CSD too, or isn't it available?

Subjective impressions with an attentive ear are almost always more dramatic and clear than measurements.

I'd say the tonal difference between velourHE500 and jergpadHE500 is very significant in the measurements, especially considering how little stock pleathers vs velours differed in the FR curvature with purrin's HE400 measurements, all that could be detected was mostly a difference in levels over sections of the frequency range:

Also as I explained in the comments under the graphs, certain things like reduced ringing in low~mid midrange, and improved clarity/staging, can't really be deciphered from FR or traditional CSD.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #450 of 1,710
OMG man, thanks alot for this guide! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just did the core mod +back-vent mod, took me forever cuz I have really shaky hands
and I had no tape so I had to be creative and use other stuff 
frown.gif

I will probably do the other two mods tomorrow.

The sound got ALOT better and the comfort improved as well.
Way more  airy and harder hitting sub bas.

Again, thanks. 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back