= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Feb 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #391 of 1,710
Quote:
Yeah I kinda feel bad for everyone who committed to my v1 jergpads, then again, I did too, twice actually. So I don't feel that bad 
biggrin.gif

Actually had to buy new pleathers to formulate this new version, so it's not like I scammed you guys by hidding "the true" version, but rather it's a natural evolution that costed me too. For those of ya who have already done the v1, think of it as a good opportunity to redo and refine your pad modding skills, since you've already had a chance to do all that damping hole cutting, it won't be testing waters any more.

Anyway I have close to finished the text sections of the v2.0 guide now, all I need now is to receive the candidate pleathers/velours from another user, and do the modifications on them and take the appointed photos (about 25 or so photos needed at specific steps to fit with my pre-written guide).

I don't feel bad at all!!!!!  This mod (even V1 but I just did the dampening not the vents) really helped my HE500's. Your mod removed the biggest irritation for me, sibilance somewhere in the 9k range. If I just wasted a $20 pair or pleathers, so be it. Best $20 upgrade I've ever done.
Thank you.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #392 of 1,710
Quote:
I don't feel bad at all!!!!!  This mod (even V1 but I just did the dampening not the vents) really helped my HE500's. Your mod removed the biggest irritation for me, sibilance somewhere in the 9k range. If I just wasted a $20 pair or pleathers, so be it. Best $20 upgrade I've ever done.
Thank you.

That's good to hear, thanks. 

I've been urging myself to push for a better consolidated version of the guide ever since I wrote the original guide in this thread over a month ago, as it was so loose in instructions that there would be huge variations between modded pads of different users. Hopefully this new upcoming revised guide will standardize the steps much better, so that when people talk/trade their Hifimans with so-called "jergpads", they would resemble what I meant the jergpads to be like.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #393 of 1,710
Quote:
Yeah I kinda feel bad for everyone who committed to my v1 jergpads, then again, I did too, twice actually. So I don't feel that bad 
biggrin.gif

Actually had to buy new pleathers to formulate this new version, so it's not like I scammed you guys by hidding "the true" version, but rather it's a natural evolution that costed me too. For those of ya who have already done the v1, think of it as a good opportunity to redo and refine your pad modding skills, since you've already had a chance to do all that damping hole cutting, it won't be testing waters any more.

Anyway I have close to finished the text sections of the v2.0 guide now, all I need now is to receive the candidate pleathers/velours from another user, and do the modifications on them and take the appointed photos (about 25 or so photos needed at specific steps to fit with my pre-written guide).

Hey Jerg,

I still have virgin pleathers/velours which you could mod and take pictures of if you'd like. I'm also in Canada so it might make sense. Currently in Sault Ste Marie but travel to Toronto and St.Catharines regularly.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #394 of 1,710
Quote:

Hey Jerg,

I still have virgin pleathers/velours which you could mod and take pictures of if you'd like. I'm also in Canada so it might make sense. Currently in Sault Ste Marie but travel to Toronto and St.Catharines regularly.

Ah sorry bro, another user has already taken up the offer and has mailed his pads my way this afternoon, and that'll be the only candidate pads I'll need to photo-document the mod steps.

The new upcoming guide will be clear enough that you could do the mod yourself without much trouble though. It'll be leaps and bounds clearer than the guide in this thread at least.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #395 of 1,710
Quote:
Ah sorry bro, another user has already taken up the offer and has mailed his pads my way this afternoon, and that'll be the only candidate pads I'll need to photo-document the mod steps.

The new upcoming guide will be clear enough that you could do the mod yourself without much trouble though. It'll be leaps and bounds clearer than the guide in this thread at least.

It's fine. Just thought I'd chime in just in case you were still looking for someone! I'll debate on doing the mod myself if I can get past the sweat factor pleathers give me :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #396 of 1,710
Quote:
It's fine. Just thought I'd chime in just in case you were still looking for someone! I'll debate on doing the mod myself if I can get past the sweat factor pleathers give me :)

With the new version of the jergpads, you will worry about that no more.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #399 of 1,710
Would there be a particular problem with glueing (superglue) the velour top onto the pleathers? Would it have any detrimental effects on the sound?

Edit: Also, does the velour pad cause any loss in bass impact or amount? I feel like the lack of a good seal could cause the bass to become less pronounced. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #400 of 1,710
Quote:
Would there be a particular problem with glueing (superglue) the velour top onto the pleathers? Would it have any detrimental effects on the sound?

Edit: Also, does the velour pad cause any loss in bass impact or amount? I feel like the lack of a good seal could cause the bass to become less pronounced. 

The velour cut and glued to the face of the pleathers has absolutely no effect on sound. It's purely a comfort thing.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #401 of 1,710
Quote:
The velour cut and glued to the face of the pleathers has absolutely no effect on sound. It's purely a comfort thing.

Maybe I missed something, but I think he said it did affect the sound. It makes sense because of the fact that velours seal less than the pleathers. He said there was a more open sound. I'm wondering if that also means the bass is tamed a little bit. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #402 of 1,710
Quote:

Bass is mostly unaffected actually, at least in terms of quantity. To my ears the change in sound associated with the velour top modification is that of a less closed-in sound, precisely because the seal is broken by the velour material. Think of it as the velours allowing the pads to suspend away from your ears by 2mm, without losing the bass.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #403 of 1,710
Personally, I noticed no difference but then my 500's dont make a perfect seal on my head with the pleathers only. They just irritate my skin after a while.  YMMV.

I just bought another set of pleathers and velours and will attemp the Jerg mod from 1 to 4 and then can compare the gen1 jerg (damping and velour face only for me).

Again, Jerg thanks for doing this.

The best system upgrade ($ for $) that I"ve encountered yet.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #404 of 1,710
Quote:
Bass is mostly unaffected actually, at least in terms of quantity. To my ears the change in sound associated with the velour top modification is that of a less closed-in sound, precisely because the seal is broken by the velour material. Think of it as the velours allowing the pads to suspend away from your ears by 2mm, without losing the bass.

Thanks. That pretty much clears it up. I don't find the comfort of the pleathers bad at all, actually. I've used headphones way less comfortable than the HE-500s in the past, haha. I think I'll just stick to the damping, back-vents and when I can get my hands on some double-sided tape I might go ahead and do the sub bass mod. I wish there was something I could use to do it now, but I guess I'll have to wait a couple days. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #405 of 1,710
Quote:

Thanks. That pretty much clears it up. I don't find the comfort of the pleathers bad at all, actually. I've used headphones way less comfortable than the HE-500s in the past, haha. I think I'll just stick to the damping, back-vents and when I can get my hands on some double-sided tape I might go ahead and do the sub bass mod. I wish there was something I could use to do it now, but I guess I'll have to wait a couple days. 

The comfort "improvement" with the velour top mod is indeed debatable; there is nothing smooth like a good pleather material i.e. the protein pleather used on Hifiman earpads (except maybe Audeze LCD3 lambskin). However it does help cool down and stop sweating of your ears, and distance your ears a bit more from the drivers (good news for those with big ears but who hate velour pads).

The main point of the velour top mod is the sonic improvement though. I cannot understate the fact that it magically removes the "sealed closed-in sound" of pleathers, and makes all the sound suddenly open and out of the head. The "believability" of the 3D imaging is boosted incredibly high, even though the soundstage might sound similar in size with just the bare pleathers. That on top of the fact that it does not alter the innate tonal balance of the pleathers makes it a very strong addition in the Jergpad modification steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back