= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Jan 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #91 of 1,710
Quote:
1) Do you not remove the foam ring from between the earpiece and the attachment ring?

2) I was thinking it might be possible to fit the ring inside the existing fabric but since I haven't cut apart the fabric I really don't know how much give it has.

Oh the foam insert ring was removed by default. Like I explained in the first post, I found the foam insert ring to be bad for the earpads both in terms of comfort and sound.

Not much give with the pleather casing I'm afraid, it's a fairly tight fit with the original memory foam inside.

If you really want to increase pad depth, I'd recommend that you use something that goes between the earpads and the mounting ring, rather than cramming more stuff into the earpads themselves. As to what exactly could be used in between there without compromising the sound, I don't know.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #93 of 1,710
I will try it some time when i get my spare pads

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #94 of 1,710
Quote:
Your mods are so clever!

He's a great artist, too. 
size]

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #96 of 1,710
Protip to people who find pleathers (jergpad-modded, or unmodded) to be too thin without the nasty foam spacers, here's what you do:

Take the pads off the headphones, and massage them by squeezing them hard, bit by bit a few rounds (pinch so that your thumb is on the outer side, and the index finger is on the inner rim), so that the foam thickness is restored.

My pair of jergpads (without foam insert spacers of course) pretty much doubled in thickness after the massage. And it stays very well too since the foam is memory foam.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #97 of 1,710
I've posted this elsewhere, but I currently use J$ Beyer pads on my HE-6 with a piece of felt underneath which I feel trims out some of the treble ringing. Before I put the felt on, I glued some nylon stockings on the rings to act as dust cover. Pics under the spoiler.

I used Super77 spray adhesive on the rings, then stretched some nylons over top.

900x900px-LL-60977d4e_IMG_5747.jpeg

900x900px-LL-437956cc_IMG_5748.jpeg

900x900px-LL-cd49dc7d_IMG_5749.jpeg

900x900px-LL-249c60de_IMG_5751.jpeg

900x900px-LL-a684149f_IMG_5750.jpeg

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #98 of 1,710
Quote:
I've posted this elsewhere, but I currently use J$ Beyer pads on my HE-6 with a piece of felt underneath which I feel trims out some of the treble ringing. Before I put the felt on, I glued some nylon stockings on the rings to act as dust cover. Pics under the spoiler.

I also have the J$ beyer pads, I modded pleather dust screen onto the mounting ring, plus some foam, instead of nylon stocking fabric and felt though; should be quite similar nonetheless. Like I mentioned in original post, it is the cleanest-sounding of all the pads, with very expanded soundstage, but the tonality did not win my heart.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #99 of 1,710
For me personally, I'm willing to trade some tonality for comfort. 

I've had this thought in my head... but have never been willing to go through with it: cut out the inner ring of leather/pleather from the pads, so that the foam is exposed. I have a feeling this would greatly increase absorption and strongly cut down that ear chambering treble

A long time ago I had this beat up pair of Sony V6's where the pads were so worn the stitching on the inside was gone and it was just exposed foam. Not only did I find them more comfortable, but the sound was also much more pleasing to my ear. Now whether or not that was a comfort/psychoacoustic thing, I can't say for certain. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #100 of 1,710
For me personally, I'm willing to trade some tonality for comfort. 

I've had this thought in my head... but have never been willing to go through with it: cut out the inner ring of leather/pleather from the pads, so that the foam is exposed. I have a feeling this would greatly increase absorption and strongly cut down that ear chambering treble

A long time ago I had this beat up pair of Sony V6's where the pads were so worn the stitching on the inside was gone and it was just exposed foam. Not only did I find them more comfortable, but the sound was also much more pleasing to my ear. Now whether or not that was a comfort/psychoacoustic thing, I can't say for certain. 

Maybe stupid question: The innerring..u mean the part that rests/touches ur side of ur head?

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #101 of 1,710
I am really beginning to notice some resonance in what I suppose must be the upper midrange. It sounds a bit like a rattling noise in some songs.  It is actually annoying. This is both with the HE-400 and 500. First thought it was part of the recording, then there was something wrong with my HE-500 and now I see it is the same with the HE-400. 
Also seems like the bass tend to resonate a bit, but I guess that is more common in any headphone. But it is definitely harde to say with the bass, maybe just me being overly critical.

This is ofc unmodded and I suppose it is a dampening problem as Jerg has mentioned a lot of times..

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #103 of 1,710
I just finished doing this, haven't listened yet but I thought I'd share what I did with the retention ring. Instead of completely removing the vinyl ring that holds the plastic clip to the earpad, I cut it open so it only has 5 small attached points to the pleather on the earcup. This allows me to continue to use the standard retention system without tape or glue and still be open, hopefully as good as complete removal.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #104 of 1,710
Quote:
Maybe stupid question: The innerring..u mean the part that rests/touches ur side of ur head?

No, I meant the "inner" part of the donut.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #105 of 1,710
So, I was kind of thinking about regaining some warmth and bass.

Considering, damping largely makes the difference between velours and pleathers, I decided to cut the eight most centric holes larger.

Result with HE-500: So, you lose a bit of air and stage and gain a slightly darker sound, which then also sounds a bit warmer plus you gain a bit of bass punch. Obviously, I cannot do an A/B :wink: but I think the damping of the exposed pleather part is quite influencing the tonal balance. For me some of the velour sound was added now and the tonal balance is more even between treble and bass. I will A/B it more detailed with with velours some time soon.
This might be it now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back