= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,321 of 1,710

Don't give up.  Check out modulor's illustrated guide to modding the pads.  I won't say it's easy, but it's not impossible, and his guide is the schiit.  Buying two pairs to HFM pads (pleather + velour) isn't that expensive.

Something people with AKGs (K701, K702, Q701, and pretty much any AKG with similar pads) can try is taping the AKG pads to the HE-500 mounting rings.  I did this yesterday with my Q701 pads and am quite pleased with the result.  So much so that I ordered a pair from AKG to use with the HE-500 (half the price of the only other place I saw the black Q701/K702 pads).  VERY simple mod, which could be tweaked further, I suppose.  It's not a replacement for the jergpads, just something different.  How the two compare, I can't yet say.  My jergulorX pads should be dry now, so maybe today or tomorrow I'll have some time to go back and forth.  My initial listening session with the AKG pads showed a better soundstage, perhaps due the pads being larger (ears further from the driver) and angled.  They are pretty stiff, and some people might not like the way they feel.  Massaging them over time should soften them up a little, but also wear the velour faster (maybe stick one in a plastic bag first; have to try that).

Thanks for your answer :)

Actually I checked the original post once again, and saw the 2.0 revision of the mod in the spoiler tag which seems much more doable. I read the illustrated guide v2.5, but he whole part with the velour earpads and sewing them back on was discouraging me. But the 2.0 is basically just making holes in the stock pleather pads. I can do that!

Question, though: where can I order stock pleather pads? I found the velour pads, but I just want to be able to order some replacement pleather pads if I screw mines while doing the mod. Also, can I order replacement mounting rings? I read that they were really fragile.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,322 of 1,710

Actually I checked the original post once again, and saw the 2.0 revision of the mod in the spoiler tag which seems much more doable. I read the illustrated guide v2.5, but he whole part with the velour earpads and sewing them back on was discouraging me. But the 2.0 is basically just making holes in the stock pleather pads. I can do that!

Question, though: where can I order stock pleather pads? I found the velour pads, but I just want to be able to order some replacement pleather pads if I screw mines while doing the mod. Also, can I order replacement mounting rings? I read that they were really fragile.

Thanks.

I got them from the HiFiMAN store (both sets).  Mounting rings are included, and no, not fragile.  You may be thinking of the thin, stiff plastic rings that hold the grills on.  I'm always extra careful when removing those.  I don't think you can order them directly, but I recall reading about someone who made a special request from HFM and got some.  I don't change grills often, but I am tempted to try and get a spare pair.

You may be able to find non-HFM pleathers on eBay.  I was searching for AKG pads yesterday and came across some knockoffs.  But try the HFM site first.  Pleathers are $20, velours $10, IIRC (shipping was $7, I think).

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,323 of 1,710
Thanks for your answer.

Concerning the fragility of the mounting ring, I was talking about this thread. Anyway it's not a problem considering that they're included with new earpads, I'm glad to hear that!

Does anyone know where I could find pleather HFM pads on the internet? Because I live in Europe, and we don't have HiFiMan Stores here.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,324 of 1,710
  Thanks for your answer.

Concerning the fragility of the mounting ring, I was talking about this thread. Anyway it's not a problem considering that they're included with new earpads, I'm glad to hear that!

Does anyone know where I could find pleather HFM pads on the internet? Because I live in Europe, and we don't have HiFiMan Stores here.

Thanks.

Hifiman's official online store.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,325 of 1,710
Or eBay/amazon. They are more expensive in eu

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,327 of 1,710
Any status on shipment of the second batch?

NM just saw that it was added to the first post for early Dec.

thanks.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,329 of 1,710

Thanks.

I never sewed a day in my life (I had to watch a YouTube video) and mine turned out fine. Don't let that stop you from trying, all you need is patience. Also, you'll learn a skill, after sewing together the Jergpads, I fixed all my jeans that had holes in the pocket

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,330 of 1,710
Head-Fi: Teaching men to sew since 2013

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,332 of 1,710
Can you provide me with a couple of those sub-bass-heavy test tracks? Thanks. If they are good, I'd like to use them for tests in the future.
Also try songs from wiz khalifa's kush and orange juice mixtape: good dank, up, and the statement. Lemme know how those sound :) rumble and punch is so great

Also try on my level by wiz khalifa in his "rolling papers" album. So much sub bass.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,334 of 1,710

Users who are viewing this thread

Back