= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Nov 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #1,306 of 1,710
Although probably not possible, it would be awesome if we could make the back thicker and fuller instead of making the front skinnier. Imagine the comfort of the alpha pads with the sonic signature of the jergpad.

Yeah that's way too much work, might as well just make completely new earpads. Who knows, perhaps even as we speak now, some Head-fi lurker modder extraordinaire is secretly crafting the ultimate earpads for HFM headphones.

At this point, I'm actually strongly considering either A) teaching myself how to make custom pads or B) finding someone that can make them for me. In reality, both situations don't have much likelihood of happening, but we'll see (if there is anyone interested, I might be able to invest...).

The jergpad-style modded alpha pads bring a lot to the table, namely in comfort and openness of the sound. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds much more like a pair of decent speakers placed in front of you rather than two large drivers strapped to the side of your head. The sound is overall lighter, but not lighter than, say, the HD598 (from my memory). I know I've said all this before, but I want to emphasize that there's enough there to the sound that I think pursuing the custom pad route could be extremely rewarding. I am thinking, in theory, you could make pads the size of the alpha pads work really well, but it would probably be easiest to start somewhere in between the stock pad and alpha pads. This might also present an opportunity for custom pad mounting solutions as well, though that's likely not going to see as many tangible returns, and you could easily make a custom pad work well with the stock mounting rings.

Edit: Actually, one of the more practical reasons for having pads not quite as thick of the alpha pads is due to fit. I have to extend the headband as far as I can with the modded alpha pads to make the headphone fit right, so this could be problematic for those with even larger heads than I. I'm left no room to add padding to the headband in this scenario, unfortunately, though the alpha pads as-is do wonders for comfort and weight distribution. The additional comfort alone makes it hard to go back to the stock pads in any form.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,307 of 1,710
  Well you can always do this:

1) Move the audio setup to its own room/chamber, that doesn't have any carpets/drapes/beds/clothing etc, and ideally no ventilation/leaky windows.

2) Buy an air purifier/active particle filter, and install it into that room.

3) Take a shower and get naked whenever you go into that room to listen to the headphones, you can bring in water and non-powdery food.

smily_headphones1.gif

Option three seems very reasonable
biggrin.gif

Problem is, I don't have much space here in my house to do any of that. And even if I did, I'd still be a little paranoid about it.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,309 of 1,710
  Took the risk and destroyed my velour pads. Spent many hours doing the Jergpad and I glad I did it. Overall improvement over the stock velour pad. 
dt880smile.png

I really didn't like how my cut-up velour pads sounded when I tried that, way too bright/thin-sounding. What are you using that with?

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,310 of 1,710
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of HE-400, and with everything I read about it I'd really like some jergpads on them, but I don't have the time nor the craftsmanship skills to do the mod myself.

How can I order some from Modulor? I saw that there was a Round 2 batch order ongoing, but I guess it's now over? Didn't find any real info on it. Could I still order some jergpads from Modulor? I'm not in a hurry to get them, so he could take all the time he wants obviously, but I'd really want to get some.

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,312 of 1,710
  Washed the pads Modulor made for me yesterday, for the first time since I received em quite a while ago (it's the first set from the first batch).

So I first popped the pad/fabric part off from the mounting rings (that hold the adhesive tapes and foam tabs), then used warm water and some mild soap and gave em a very thorough soak/scrub/rinse, and let them air-dry for 20 hours.

Now they are so soft to touch, it's scary.

Old post, I know, but today I got to thinking about washing the pads.  I know modulor mentioned he worried about getting the foam/pleather wet (water retention?).  Sounds like you washed the whole thing.  No problems with them drying thoroughly?

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,313 of 1,710

Old post, I know, but today I got to thinking about washing the pads.  I know modulor mentioned he worried about getting the foam/pleather wet (water retention?).  Sounds like you washed the whole thing.  No problems with them drying thoroughly?

Thanks.

None whatsoever. Just use a lot of paper-towel to absorb as much water as you can squeeze out of them, then find a cool, well-ventilated and shaded place for the pads to fully air-dry over 24h.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,314 of 1,710
  None whatsoever. Just use a lot of paper-towel to absorb as much water as you can squeeze out of them, then find a cool, well-ventilated and shaded place for the pads to fully air-dry over 24h.

Got it!  Thanks for the quick reply.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,315 of 1,710
  The issue with that along with all other naturally-angled pads available is that they are all too thick. Also, having those foam insert rings in there can sometimes really irritate the tips of the ear (for those with medium~large sized ears).

Would this be bad to do with stock pleather pads (damping holes made)? Would it increase resonance noticeably and also would it impact the bass at all? To me bass didnt seem to be impacted but I do think i heard a lot of resonance in the upper mids / lower treble... :/ BUT THE CENTER IMAGING DID IMPROVE :frowning2:!!!!

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,316 of 1,710
  Can you provide me with a couple of those sub-bass-heavy test tracks? Thanks. If they are good, I'd like to use them for tests in the future.

LOL use the song Zeds Dead - Mr. Sub

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,318 of 1,710
  Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of HE-400, and with everything I read about it I'd really like some jergpads on them, but I don't have the time nor the craftsmanship skills to do the mod myself.

How can I order some from Modulor? I saw that there was a Round 2 batch order ongoing, but I guess it's now over? Didn't find any real info on it. Could I still order some jergpads from Modulor? I'm not in a hurry to get them, so he could take all the time he wants obviously, but I'd really want to get some.

Thanks.

The last I know is that us left handed types are out of luck for the moment. Modulor told me last month he's taking no orders after now finished round two and not sure if there will be another batch. Well, I say that can never be true because 'THREE!, is the magic number' :wink:

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,319 of 1,710

The last I know is that us left handed types are out of luck for the moment. Modulor told me last month he's taking no orders after now finished round two and not sure if there will be another batch. Well, I say that can never be true because 'THREE!, is the magic number' :wink:

Oh okay... Well that's too bad. Guess I'll never be able to experience the "true" HE-400 sound. 

Thanks for the answer!

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,320 of 1,710

Oh okay... Well that's too bad. Guess I'll never be able to experience the "true" HE-400 sound. 

Thanks for the answer!

Don't give up.  Check out modulor's illustrated guide to modding the pads.  I won't say it's easy, but it's not impossible, and his guide is the schiit.  Buying two pairs to HFM pads (pleather + velour) isn't that expensive.

Something people with AKGs (K701, K702, Q701, and pretty much any AKG with similar pads) can try is taping the AKG pads to the HE-500 mounting rings.  I did this yesterday with my Q701 pads and am quite pleased with the result.  So much so that I ordered a pair from AKG to use with the HE-500 (half the price of the only other place I saw the black Q701/K702 pads).  VERY simple mod, which could be tweaked further, I suppose.  It's not a replacement for the jergpads, just something different.  How the two compare, I can't yet say.  My jergulorX pads should be dry now, so maybe today or tomorrow I'll have some time to go back and forth.  My initial listening session with the AKG pads showed a better soundstage, perhaps due the pads being larger (ears further from the driver) and angled.  They are pretty stiff, and some people might not like the way they feel.  Massaging them over time should soften them up a little, but also wear the velour faster (maybe stick one in a plastic bag first; have to try that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back