= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,171 of 1,710

This was demonstrated in stages of measurements for the jergpad mods. The back vents slightly rise the response around 50Hz and also noticeably increase harmonic distortion. The harmonic distortion in particular gives more of the rumble and bloom. The pad adhesive mod helps smooth this area out a bit and lowers the distortion some. Taping up the vent further flattens the bass and lowers the distortion. Entirely skipping the vents gives a flatter bass response and less harmonic distortion. 

Personally, I don't mind (might actually prefer) a bit of a hump around that area, and I don't find the additional rumble and bloom to be unpleasant (might even be tastefully "fun").

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I did enjoy it, until I encountered a couple recordings where it was a negative to my listening experience.

And the vents are listed as "optional" in the guide (LOL, all modding is optional, but I get the point).  Anyway, I've arrived at what I want from the HE-500, with full props to jerg and modulor.

Modding is fun  
darthsmile.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,172 of 1,710

I agree, but the HE-500 regardless has never had much in the way of a large soundstage for me. The vents did help, sure, but the biggest change is in the bass to my ears.

Anyone have any thoughts on this:  insert some low-angled wedges (plastic, I guess) between pad and mounting ring to open slightly the back.  The wedges could be inserted more to open them up more, or pulled out a little to reduce the opening.

Guess I'll try that experiment when I have time.  Hopefully by this weekend.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,173 of 1,710
  Of course family matters come first, please take your time modulor.

Please don't tell him that.

Ryan,

Get back to work....

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,174 of 1,710
  Status of Round 2 update:

I've had some travel plans scheduled for the last weekend in November and was on schedule to ship all orders the week before I left despite incurring some previous supply delays.  In an unfortunate twist on my schedule, I had some unexpected travel this past weekend for a personal family matter where I was gone Friday-Monday, and now will have to travel next weekend for a funeral (unrelated events, but it was a close friend that passed and I will have to fly out of town).  Needless to say, this extra travel has cut into the time required to finish up so there will be a delay in completion of Round 2 orders - my new target for shipment is early December.  I apologize in advance as I tried to plan for unforeseen schedule changes but November is shaping up to be a lot more hectic than I anticipated.  I hope everyone understands and I thank you all for your patience.  As soon as orders are completed, packaged and shipped, I will be contacting those members the same day with shipping/tracking information.

For those members that don't check the thread regularly, I will try to get PMs out to everyone with this updated information in the next day or two.  Thanks again to all you wonderful head-fi peoples and those participating in this group buy for your support with this endeavor 
redface.gif

No need to apologize. You're already doing a great favor to the community.

And I'm sorry for your loss.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,175 of 1,710
@jerg Have you tried experimenting with a low density cotton in the grills, like the HE-6? I have played around with it and found it helps kill off lingering HF energy, and is optimal in the upper rear portion, where the top portion of your ear is at. It also creates an effect where you can hear everything better, like when you cup your hands around your ear. Just food for thought man. :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,176 of 1,710
  @jerg Have you tried experimenting with a low density cotton in the grills, like the HE-6? I have played around with it and found it helps kill off lingering HF energy, and is optimal in the upper rear portion, where the top portion of your ear is at. It also creates an effect where you can hear everything better, like when you cup your hands around your ear. Just food for thought man. :)

It's counterintuitive to the regrilling mod, which is trying to minimize reflection at the outer faces of the drivers, I want to eliminate the "hand over cup" effect as much as humanly possible from the HE500. HE6 might be okay with it but HE500 needs every bit of extra openness/soundstage it can get.

Besides, HE500's treble is at a good spot with the whole mod series (earpads / grills / backwave diffuser), no need to reduce it.

I read your impressions with the earpad mod + HE6 in the HE6 thread. It is unfortunate but kind of expected, as HE6s are measurably quite different from HE500, a lot of HE500 issues the HE6 doesn't have, and also the general upper end frequency behaviour is wildly differing between the two. The Jergpads really correct HE500's issues and straighten its frequency response, and so HE6 gets mismatched I suppose.

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,177 of 1,710
One would think the he6 needs damping holes in the pleathers as well.

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #1,179 of 1,710
The stock pleathers are not that bad with the HE-6 IMO. Nothing inherently "wrong" in the sound as opposed to the muffled HE-500.

YMMV and the HE-400 is a good example of that: to my ears this is certainly the worst planar headphone from Hifiman (upper mid suck-out, tizzy treble) but it's been FOTM for a very long time around here...

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,180 of 1,710
  It's counterintuitive to the regrilling mod, which is trying to minimize reflection at the outer faces of the drivers, I want to eliminate the "hand over cup" effect as much as humanly possible from the HE500. HE6 might be okay with it but HE500 needs every bit of extra openness/soundstage it can get.

Besides, HE500's treble is at a good spot with the whole mod series (earpads / grills / backwave diffuser), no need to reduce it.

I read your impressions with the earpad mod + HE6 in the HE6 thread. It is unfortunate but kind of expected, as HE6s are measurably quite different from HE500, a lot of HE500 issues the HE6 doesn't have, and also the general upper end frequency behaviour is wildly differing between the two. The Jergpads really correct HE500's issues and straighten its frequency response, and so HE6 gets mismatched I suppose.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking myself. I must admit you guys do a great job with the HE-500, and would love to see if you could improve the HE-6 in any way. Hopefully someday you'll get a pair  
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,181 of 1,710
Nov 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,182 of 1,710
  Jerg, did you use pre-adhesive felt for the backwave diffuser, or did you just use double sided tape?  I guess either way would likely work fine.  Something like this looks easy enough to work with, and easily reversible:

http://www.amazon.com/12-PER-FOOT-PROTECTIVE-Peel-N-Stick/dp/B007O0UQWQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_3

Nah did it the hard way and used double-sided tape. In fact I didn't even buy felt, just cut up slots in the felt disc I ripped from my HE300s. I tend not to buy material when I can be frugal and 'recycle' something I already have.

That adhesive felt looks great though, tons of modding potential with it! I might buy a roll just to have it for whatever in the future.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,183 of 1,710
Nov 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,184 of 1,710
  I'll try to find this at my local store:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Stick-It-Felt-9x12-Felt--Fur---Foam_stcVVproductId155912410VVcatId540030VVviewprod.htm

As noted, it's stiff felt, so it's easier for cutting small, skinny pieces.  They also have soft felt.

My Walmart double-stick tape is pretty weak, probably because it's photo-safe.  That plus having to handle it first makes it less than ideal.  I think it's a mod worth (re)doing right.

Yeah that looks better...I'm planning on looking for something like this next time I go to the fabric or craft store.  The one I linked to requires almost $7 to ship or some absurdity.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,185 of 1,710
  Yeah that looks better...I'm planning on looking for something like this next time I go to the fabric or craft store.  The one I linked to requires almost $7 to ship or some absurdity.

Yeah, that's why I went searching 
wink.gif
  I love Amazon and all, and don't blame them, but that's absurd.  Hancock is a good store, esp. if you have one locally.  I got a few things there for modding the HE-500, primarily the organza fabric for the dust shield.

I was surprised Michaels doesn't list sticky felt on their site.  Seems like it would be right up their alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back