= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Nov 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,142 of 1,710
  I needed to take my mind off of the Bears loss, so I finished.  Time to see how they sound.

Sorry about the Bears, but thanks for the photos, esp. of the back side.  I reckon my mod adjustment got mine looking like yours (proper back vents).  Yours look much neater than my hack (first photo).  Congrats.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,143 of 1,710
  I needed to take my mind off of the Bears loss, so I finished.  Time to see how they sound.

They aren't lined up symmetrical 
angry_face.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,145 of 1,710
  They aren't lined up symmetrical 
angry_face.gif

LMAO.  That was one thing I made sure I did when I pulled, fixed and reattached the problematic pad.  Now, What is my gold star?!  
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,151 of 1,710

Well, I ordered a pair. Looks like I've spent money on yet another mod for the HE-500. 
o2smile.gif

Grill mod yet?  simple, free one.  Take out the cloth glued to the stock grill!  voila... More air and more open.  It worked great for me.
I found no need yet to go to the extreme of changing the grill like jerg and some others have done.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,152 of 1,710
^It isn't exactly a game changer at all.. I won't bother with it.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,153 of 1,710
Status of Round 2 update:

I've had some travel plans scheduled for the last weekend in November and was on schedule to ship all orders the week before I left despite incurring some previous supply delays.  In an unfortunate twist on my schedule, I had some unexpected travel this past weekend for a personal family matter where I was gone Friday-Monday, and now will have to travel next weekend for a funeral (unrelated events, but it was a close friend that passed and I will have to fly out of town).  Needless to say, this extra travel has cut into the time required to finish up so there will be a delay in completion of Round 2 orders - my new target for shipment is early December.  I apologize in advance as I tried to plan for unforeseen schedule changes but November is shaping up to be a lot more hectic than I anticipated.  I hope everyone understands and I thank you all for your patience.  As soon as orders are completed, packaged and shipped, I will be contacting those members the same day with shipping/tracking information.

For those members that don't check the thread regularly, I will try to get PMs out to everyone with this updated information in the next day or two.  Thanks again to all you wonderful head-fi peoples and those participating in this group buy for your support with this endeavor 
redface.gif

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,155 of 1,710
I've been testing my JergulorX pads the past few days, fiddlin' and tweakin', and discovered that the back vents with the Creatology foam were produce a serious bass response to the point that it was rather "bloomy".  For some songs that already have a serious low end, that tended to intrude into neighboring frequencies, making certain mid frequencies recessed, esp. rhythm guitar, etc.  Mids like vocals and such were fine.  While the thumping, rumbling bass was fun at times, the overall sound was less than accurate.

I did a quick test by covering the open back sections with electrical tape, which definitely reduced the bloom.  In the end I redid the mounting rings with just the double-sided, hole-punched photo stickies (I doubled them), and now the sound is much more accurate, but those songs that have some serious low end are still quite satisfying.

My chain is:
24/96 FLACs -> foobar2000 with Output set to U2 USB DAC in WASAPI Event Mode -> USB extension cable -> HiFimeDIY USB isolator into U2 Sabre DAC -> AudioQuest Golden Gate mini-to-RCA -> Schiit Lyr running Super Cryo Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Matched Pair  -> plusSounds custom cable -> HE-500.

I've also got custom grills like jerg's, with a sheer organza fabric dust shield (quite see-through).  Oh, and I did the felt mod taped to the metal frame behind the grills.

Not sure if that's of any interest, but figured I'd share it.

For now, I'm a happy camper 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back