HiFiMan HE4XX
May 21, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,366 of 1,381
When I first got it I liked it because it worked on a DAP and after 18 mos with only the HD-600 I had a big backlog of blues and rock to listen too. Then I spent money on it and not much. Then the HE-500 came into my life and the 4XX, 5LE, 400, HE-5SE went for sale.

For someone happy with the 4XX the Sundara or 400i isn't enough of a step up. Look into the XS or used HE-6SE v1. I can't imagine anyone liking the 4XX finding the Ananda interesting.

EQ can do a lot but it can't change the damping of bass signals - just amplitude. If anyone wants to be sure that the bass isn't fat, slow, or tonally off, one has to mount an anti-vibration product - dynamat best choice (blue tack doesn't do enough). Sorbothane too expensive and doesn't stay stuck. Get some test recordings and verify what I say the 4XX has highly colored bass (my copy did)

May 21, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,367 of 1,381
When I first got it I liked it because it worked on a DAP and after 18 mos with only the HD-600 I had a big backlog of blues and rock to listen too. Then I spent money on it and not much. Then the HE-500 came into my life and the 4XX, 5LE, 400, HE-5SE went for sale.

For someone happy with the 4XX the Sundara or 400i isn't enough of a step up. Look into the XS or used HE-6SE v1. I can't imagine anyone liking the 4XX finding the Ananda interesting.

EQ can do a lot but it can't change the damping of bass signals - just amplitude. If anyone wants to be sure that the bass isn't fat, slow, or tonally off, one has to mount an anti-vibration product - dynamat best choice (blue tack doesn't do enough). Sorbothane too expensive and doesn't stay stuck. Get some test recordings and verify what I say the 4XX has highly colored bass (my copy did)

- HE500 from what I remember is vastly superior to HE4XX.
- I am interested in the HE6se so am wondering how it compares to 4XX. You specify v1, I guess Ill have to do some research before buying a new v2.
- The HE400i has gone through some changes over its production and the most current is called “2020”. As far as I know there have been three updates total. I had the original which sucked and used a much different looking driver than “2020”. The “2020” drivers looks a lot like 4XX drivers. Measurements of frequency response are much closer now between 400i and 4XX.
- Have you tried any other mods besides damping enclosure vibration?
- Ill try damping the enclosure with damplifier pro to see if I notice a difference though I doubt I will notice any for two reasons: 1. My ears suck, 2. i dont think the enclosure is that bad.
- The Dekoni pads Im using add quite a bit more bass extension, I am guessing the reason is because they seal better.

May 21, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,368 of 1,381
- I am interested in the HE6se so am wondering how it compares to 4XX. You specify v1, I guess Ill have to do some research before buying a new v2.
- The HE400i has gone through some changes over its production and the most current is called “2020”. As far as I know there have been three updates total. I had the original which sucked and used a much different looking driver than “2020”. The “2020” drivers looks a lot like 4XX drivers. Measurements of frequency response are much closer now between 400i and 4XX.
- Ill try damping the enclosure with damplifier pro to see if I notice a difference though I doubt I will notice any for two reasons: 1. My ears suck, 2. i dont think the enclosure is that bad.
- The Dekoni pads Im using add quite a bit more bass extension, I am guessing the reason is because they seal better.
Never heard latest 400. Well I specify v1 because they are older and likely to be cheaper used. They don't have driver stick like v2. V2 doesn't have as much big dip at 1.8k as the v1. V2 is better than stock v1. my v1 is modded with ether angled pads, no screen, fuzzor mod, dynamat, custom cans cable, and careful EQ - it's about 85% of the way to being a v2 without the sticky wings. Listening to them right now. More technical than a 500 and better bass too.

It's not the enclosure that sucks. The driver isn't taut enough. In speakers the optimum Q is seen as .707. Get down to 5.7 and it's dry and Puckery. Get over .9 and it's getting wompy. Something like old BIC speakers.

If a driver can't do loud bass low - like the 4XX - then you get an extra dose of mid bass almost always by an under damped driver.

Attachments

• 20220521_155429_HDR.jpg
    20220521_155429_HDR.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #1,372 of 1,381
20230415_094241.jpg

I changed pads in my 4XX because the originals ones after 5 years of moderate use where almost melted. I like velour and since these where the only available in amazon I choose these.

CORRECTION: I did not change the pads myself but my wife did it for me. What a pain to change these pads we spend almost 2 hours trying to change these pads. I do not understand what is the point to make it so difficult to change pads.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,373 of 1,381
Thanks for the response. Do you just leave it out on a stand/table, or cover it after use?
The magnets in planars are very potent, I would never leave then out. With or without mods. Airborne cooking oils, smoke from fires outside - many of those particles are charged. Some are very small and will through protective speaker/can fabric. I put them in a big air tight plastic bin with anti humidity capsules. But galon ziplocs and OG boxes work too.

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #1,374 of 1,381
20230415_094241.jpg

I changed pads in my 4XX because the originals ones after 5 years of moderate use where almost melted. I like velour and since these where the only available in amazon I choose these.

CORRECTION: I did not change the pads myself but my wife did it for me. What a pain to change these pads we spend almost 2 hours trying to change these pads. I do not understand what is the point to make it so difficult to change pads.
the trick is too line them up, slightly bend the ring between your fingers, get them in, and release, when sure they are in spin the ring until the tabs are between the adjacent slots. Usually takes me less than 15 seconds.

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,377 of 1,381
Also it needs some faith that bending the rings will not brake them. I was a bit afraid of this.
They are pliable. If they were stiff as a board no way

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,379 of 1,381
Check
HE-6 SE v2 >>>> 4XX
Damping helps HFM round cups with a decent amount of bass. Something like the HE-5 SE or 5XX - nah, but 500, 6 SE, 560? Yeah

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #1,380 of 1,381
anyone noticed bass bleeding on the HE4XX? when gaming competitively, explosions mask all other sounds when they happen and i have to wait for them to fade away so i can hear footsteps and treble-based details again.
Yes, because they try to make up for missing low bass by having lower Q (underdamped mid/upper bass) it's a trick that goes back to radios of the 1920's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back